Gifts for ship's staff in addition to cash

yazeee1

For the most part, in the service industry its out of sight out of mind(but of course there ARE exceptions).

Point is Many workers of this type,whether at a resort, cruise ship, bar/restaurant or the like, are trained to smile and be friendly.....however once you leave the resort/ship/bar, while you may be thinking of them, they've moved on to the next guest/customer and are not thinking of you to the same extent.

On ships, Crew are often given a list of returning passengers or VIP/loyalty members. So while it may appear that crew remembers you (and yes some actually may do), the crew is trained to acknowledge these returning/VIP passengers.

Make sure you also ask them how much money they make and how extra tips are divided. :rolleyes:

Since I assist some with financial advice(at their request), I don't have to probe or ask insulting questions as has been mentioned here. They voluntarily furnish the information.

Also in response to the question about what gifts I give. Some of the items I take to give away sell for $11.95 in the ship stores. I pay pennies for the identical items.

I also dispute the idea that they are trained to welcome past guests. Some do remember us and when dealing with the crew, you are dealing with a society that is similar to a small town. If one person knows something or someone, pretty soon most of the citizens know about it. A senior officer commented to us once that he know we were coming without looking because the crew members were looking at the manifest and saying our names.

With that, I will leave you to enjoy your fantasies.

Edited by swedish weave

So you are saying you give more money then those of us who bring them something? Some how i doubt that :D:D:D
I don't think anyone has said that they give more money then those that bring gifts, but I think if you have been on here for some time, you have read that some that say they give gifts also say that don't pay the Daily Service Charge.

I'm sure that some that don't give gifts, tip more than some that do, just as I'm sure there are some that do give gifts that tip more than those that don't give gifts.

I actually thought we were just having fun this afternoon - not making fun of people. My mistake. Perhaps I don't analyze everyone's posts and assume their intentions enough. Thanks to the fun-loving few who got the joke - you made me laugh! :)

I find it interesting, though, that the "nice" gift-giving people were the first ones to start name-calling and directing less than nice comments at POSTERS vs. staying on the topic of crew gifts.

Reminds me of the people that go to church every Sunday and then gossip in the parking lot.

I think I'd rather stay a negative non-gifter LOL.

Pcakes...i think i need to send some of those people my inspirational magnets to turn their frowns upside down!!! lol

Never stop never stopping!!!

Also in response to the question about what gifts I give. Some of the items I take to give away sell for $11.95 in the ship stores. I pay pennies for the identical items.

Is is bottled water? LOL

Pcakes...i think i need to send some of those people my inspirational magnets to turn their frowns upside down!!! lol

;)

Edited by pcakes122

Since I assist some with financial advice(at their request), I don't have to probe or ask insulting questions as has been mentioned here. They voluntarily furnish the information.

I also dispute the idea that they are trained to welcome past guests. Some do remember us and when dealing with the crew, you are dealing with a society that is similar to a small town. If one person knows something or someone, pretty soon most of the citizens know about it. A senior officer commented to us once that he know we were coming without looking because the crew members were looking at the manifest and saying our names.

With that, I will leave you to enjoy your fantasies.

Are you and suesings the same person?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On ships, Crew are often given a list of returning passengers or VIP/loyalty members. So while it may appear that crew remembers you (and yes some actually may do), the crew is trained to acknowledge these returning/VIP passengers.

I've cruised on the Pearl numerous times and I was surprised that the first time I went to Cagney's for lunch on one of my cruises, before even giving them my card, the Hostess said, welcome back Miss Nancy. I think that some of the crew has an uncanny memory (which I wish I had) and are able to remember guest from past cruises. I think if passengers are friendly, smile and show respect, the crew remembers them even if they don't give them useless trinkets.

You just gave me an idea! On my September cruise I am going to give my room steward a DVD of West Side Story. After he watches it I am sure he will ship it home to his family for them to enjoy as well! I love being a nice person!!

Pcakes...i love your posts...you are a nice person...and you crack me up everytime you comment!! not to mention you reside in my favorite state!!! i grew up in northern NJ near Blairstown...

Pcakes...i love your posts...you are a nice person...and you crack me up everytime you comment!! not to mention you reside in my favorite state!!! i grew up in northern NJ near Blairstown...

Thanks, takeadip! :) I'm originally from Jersey City, now in the Old Bridge area. I was wondering if anyone would catch my Sharks reference LOL

Unfortunately, we have had reports back from passengers and parents of crew members that say different things (some report they don't get the DSC and some say they do), so who does one believe!! Let's face it anyone can say anything on here and say it is facts, when in fact it is their opinion.

I think you may have solved a big issue for me without realizing it....

If parents of crew (who ofcourse are not biased. Lol) as well as pax report that they dont get dsc....then why pay it? It is discretionary after all per Ncl

I'm sure those people say they don't get dsc in order to extract cash tips from pax but actually this backfires to a certain extent...providing a negative impact to Ncl and a positive to the crew

Ncl should really tell their crew to shut up about dsc IMHO but I digress

Anyway (not anyways btw) thanks for your response as now I feel better removing dsc as I'm fairly confident it won't hurt crew

And yes I will tip some crew and their parents but certainly not all in cash but not in excess either

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I am starting to feel selfish that all I do on a cruise is eat, drink, lay in the sun and gamble. And tip in cash. The crew must hate me.

Honestly, all of my butlers/room stewards have been very conscientious workers who did their jobs swiftly and pleasantly and then moved on. I can't imagine any of them hanging around my cabin long enough to have deep conversations. Casual chit-chat is great - but it seems like crossing boundaries to get involved with crew members lives, families or finances.

I do get that sometimes the crew becomes like an extended family to lonely solo travelers. I met a older widow on the Gem once who spent her retirement money cruising almost every other week. She had a grown daughter and son who she never saw, but the Gem crew lavished attention on her which really enriched her life. But I think cases like this are the exception and not the rule.