Carnival or RCCL for next cruise?

Smkymtncpl

[quote name='Smkymtncpl']I would really love to get some input from cruisers who've been on both lines. We've recently come to love Carnival. At first we were hooked on NCL, loved their freestyle cruising and dining. After having cruised Carnival, then back to NCL, we found that Carnival really had a huge notch up on service. And we've been reformed! LOL. Now we really love the assigned dining and special attention that it brings.

Now, for our next cruise - cause we always have to be ON one or planning one, we are looking at either Carnival Dream or RCL's Freedom of the Seas. I've never been on Royal and part of me wants to check it out, but then another part doesn't want to forgo the great experience on Carnival.

At the time of our next cruise, we'll have a 12 year old - so awesome activities is important.

I'd love to know what people find to be the main difference between these two lines, if there is one.

One thing we love on Carnival is the VIP service we get with embarkation/debarkation because we always book a suite. Do you get that with RCCL?

Appreciate any advice, tips, suggestions ... thanks!![/quote]

RCCL would be my choice. They haven't lowered the service, the food is the same, they have made improvements you can see.

OMG so not true - this is just getting ridiculous - Not name calling at all - whatever, you have your opinion

[quote name='firefly333']I get so tired of people, if they disagree with a post, or dont like a post, they call the person a RCL cheerleader. .. a back door way of name calling to me.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][I]I've done couple of CCL and couple RCCL. [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][I]I've been on the Liberty of the seas (sister of Freedom) and it was spectacular. The best ship I've been on. Liberty/Freedom/Indepence, they are all the same. Beautiful ships - same class - sisters.[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][I]There's so much to do, you'll never be bored and the WOW factor of the Freedom of the seas is just unspeakble.[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][I]My mom and sis did a B2B, first part on the Freedom Of the seas, second on the Dream.[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][I]When they boarded the Freedom of the seas they were like: "WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW:D:D:eek::eek:"[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][I]When the boarded the Carnival Dream, they were like: "Ohhhh ok:confused:"[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

So am I to understand that I am not supposed to give my opinion on here if I haven't been on RCCL? I have cruised on Carnival so I have some experience granted not as much as you have and kudos to you for having cruised 16 times with Carnival, obviously you have been cruising for a long time and your opinion would be valuable. But I really don't appreciate you shutting me down - I never said don't sail on RCCL only stated what I had previously read, I never said that Carnival was rated at the top, I only said RCCL was not rated high for food...anyway this whole thing has been blown out of proportion and just wanted to state that it is nice to see that I am supposed to keep my opinions to myself..have a nice day[quote name='cruisingator2']Was just clearing up misinformation posted on this thread and nothing else. I myself have cruised 16 times with Carnival so I have history with both. The OP was asking about two cruise lines. Why even answer if you have no first hand knowledge of one of the cruise lines? Not so hard to understand.:rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote name='wendymac']So am I to understand that I am not supposed to give my opinion on here if I haven't been on RCCL? [/quote]

From the Op....

[quote name='Smkymtncpl']I would really love to get some input from cruisers who've been on both lines. [/quote]

I had to decide between RCCL and Carnival. I would have went with RCCL but Carnival was just so much cheaper for same balcony cabin. RCCL ships are beautiful. I think Carnival ships are fun but gaudy tacky. all subjective opinions though. I also think the class of peole on RCCL is a notch above when you generalize about the entire ship. and its okay to generalize. Notch up meaning have more respect for others.

[quote name='Smkymtncpl']Wow ... thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Hubby and I just finished reading all the replies. [B]I'm actually glad to hear of all the really favourable reviews for Freedom, because our son has been bugging us to go on that ship. So, sorry Dream, looks like you lose on this one. [/B]

We're probably looking at March break 2012, but we look forward to posting our review when we get back.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to give us your thoughts.

Happy cruising!![/quote]

Good to hear you are giving RCCL a try! That is a fantastic ship for your son. He will certainly enjoy it! We have cruised on several lines and we enjoy RCCL. Their lido deck areas is so much nicer then Carnivals IMO.
And tons of activities for a kid to do!
Enjoy!

Been on both several times. Like many have said, they are more alike than different. I won't go into it on this thread, but I would go with RCCL right now if the price difference weren't too outrageous.

We usually go with Carnival because of being able to drive to several Carnival ports. RCCL is usually not near us or Carnival has better itineraries. If we fly to cruise, then the extra cost for RCCL and good itineraries on Carnival keeps us on Carnival. If we had more RCCL options near us, we'd sail them more. RCCL ships are beautiful....food and service is about the same on both depending on the ship

BTW...we never go on the newest ships. I don't see the appeal of sailing with more people.

Archived