Is tendering really that bad with small children?

Lessum

It seems that our choices are being narrowed down due to other circumstances out of our control...

So my question is - is tendering vs. docking really that bad with small children and a stroller?

Thanks

It's not bad...where did you get that idea? Unless it's pretty rough, it's simply like walking onto a ferry. There will be crew to assist you, if needed.

Of course, being docked is always easier...simply walk off the ship when you're ready! But, tendering isn't difficult...just takes a bit more time. Consider it an "adventure"!

Depending on the age of the kids, they really enjoy the tendering part of the cruise. It’s like a ride at Disneyland for them. My kids started cruising with us since age of 15 months and we never had any bad experience, so not sure what you are referring to.

Other than rough seas, can’t imagine any issues with small kids. They have crew members on both ends of the tender to assist anyone that needs help. As others have said, you take the kids out first and the stroller will come later. Either the crew or other fellow passengers behind you will bring down the stroller for you, so you are safe as can be.

There are always ports that don’t have the port facilities for the bigger ships to dock, so tender is the only choice. I wouldn’t sweat over it. Have a good cruise.

We just did the tender to Belize last week with our 8 month old. I didn't think it was bad at all. I carried my son on - the crew helped me on and off (I didn't really need help, but they made sure I didn't slip or anything). My husband carried the folded up stroller. One of the crew took it from him and stashed it in the back of the tender and helped him off with it when we docked. It was super easy. Plus my son loved the boat ride!

I've never had any problems tendering with a stoller. But Lisa is right. Take the baby OUT of the stroller. It always freaks me out to watch the crew pass the baby over the water onto the ship. Just carry the baby and have someone else carry or push the stroller.

You know the best thing about tendering with a baby in a stroller? You get to the front of the line because you get to use the elevator -- no stairs. :p:D

We've taken a few tenders with our now three year old and never had a problem. I usually hold him and my husband holds the stroller.

Before DS could swim I would put him in a life jacket. Now I just make sure that I know where the child life jackets are stored and figure I can get to one before the boat sinks. I know I'm paranoid, but it does scare me to have him in an enclosed boat as it could be harder to get out of than an open boat.

I always put my toddlers in life jackets when going on the tenders - not in case of the tender sinking, but for the transfer from the ship to the tender, which can be awkward if the water is choppy. I figure if one of my kids ends up in the water, that way they'll float long enough to grab. I don't tend to be a worrier, but I do have a fear of water, so it makes me feel safer.

Best,

Mia

Thanks everyone! Our choice of cruises was narrowed down for other factors so we will be tendering at at least 2 ports. Glad to hear everyone has had a good experience. I still do with we could dock at all so it would be easier to go on and off if we wanted to go back to the ship for a bit and then back in to port...but oh well!

Thanks again!

It will be fine. In my book docking is definitely preferable and easier, and all things being equal I'd choose docking ports. However, there are many factors that come into play in choosing a cruise, so whether you dock or tender would be one of the last factors I'd consider when choosing a cruise. Glad you were able to find a good cruise!

We've never had a problem with toddlers and tendering. We've always carried a lightweight stroller like the umbrella type (our toddler is now 16..LOL). He loved the boat ride and the crew is FABULOUS and will make you feel very safe and secure when getting on and off the tender.

Archived