Freedom Dining on Ventura

tom_uk

We're wondering about breaking the rule of a lifetime and switching to Freedom Dining for our next Ventura cruise (May 2011, 17 nights). So I'd be interested in any recent experiences regarding the following points:-

a) the advisability of reserving your Freedom Dining time in advance; and

b) how things go if you don't reserve your dining time.

Obviously there are also the Select Dining options. I'm familiar with how East and The White Room work (including the point about lower costs if you eat early) but I'm also interested in on or two other points:

a) what's the evening menu in Ramblas like?

b) how popular is Ramblas in the evening? - I read a comment from someone suggesting that you had to be there when they opened to be sure of getting a meal - they don't do reservations;

c) what about the buffet? I seem to recall seeing tables being laid for a table-service meal in the Waterside (I think) in the early evening at least, but I didn't pay any attention to it. What sort of provision, if any, is available there?

Many thanks in advance for any info anyone can give.

Re Freedom Dining

On P&O ships you cannot reserve a table for Freedom Dining you just turn up, you could when I sailed on Ventura in 2008, but they have now done away with reserving a table.

On Freedom you just turn up at the time you want. if there is a table available, you go straight in, if not you will be told the wait time, you will then be given a pager and called when a table is ready. More chance of getting a table straight away, if you choose a table for 8.

Cannot give you any info re Ramblas or the buffet in the evening, as we never used them. I belief they do lay the buffet out in the evening for self service and have themed nights like Italian or Indian etc, but not sure. We only used it after midnight to get a snack before bed. The buffets being open 24 hrs.

There is now no reservations for Freedom dining. Most of the time you will be able to walk straight in but you may have a short wait at peak times.

As well as a themed buffet in Waterside/Beach House, there is one section with an American diner style, so grills and its water service. Forget what its called but there are no reservations, just turn up.

Ramblas always seemed quiet when we were on both in the bar and the restaurant. However its a nice atmosphere with a Spanish guitar playing. I believe you can make reservations for the restaurant.

Brian

Thanks for the info re. no reservations possible for Freedom dining. In my view, 'no reservations' is how it should work, so that pleases me. But I had read that reservations were in place - possibly i read a review or something by BeckyFaye-2008!

This is actually looking better and better. Has anyone had any experience sharing a table ad-hoc?

We've done two cruises on Ventura both on Freedom - we shared most nights we used the restaurant (11 nights out of the 14).

Only one night wasn't too clever - we were on a table of eight. Five were already seated - 4 elderly women and a daughter of one of them then we joined. We tried our best to converse but they weren't interested.

On our second trip in June it was obvious Freedom had become much more popular and we had a wait of at least 20 minutes every night, longest was 40 minutes on the first formal night and we had no special requirements (the free drinks courtesy of the Captain were most welcome!).

On the last night we waited until 9pm to go for dinner, walked straight in and were given a table for four for just the two of us.

Treat Ramblas as the Spanish would - a pre dinner snack. Go early, have a few tapas then go to the main restaurant or buffet later for your meal. They only do a few tapas and the portions are small. IIRC £5 gets you three from the limited menu.

We ended up in the buffet at about 10pm to fill up!

In the evening the Beach House becomes an American Diner with waiter service - some courses have a small added service charge.

You can't book at Ramblas for the evening, you just have to turn up early. The food was excellent but the service was dire when we went on Boxing Day.

They insisted we ordered drinks before we had a chance to read the menu and before our party was all present.

We wanted to treat my parents but the staff flatly refused to split the bill for six of us as we requested.

I wanted peppermint tea which they can't supply (although the main dining room has it), so they served me black tea even though I had specifically said I didn't want it.

Small points I know, but it made for a contentious atmosphere.

Carol x

Archived