Compare Magens Bay to Orient Beach?

perlgirlnj

Can anyone who has been to both beaches give me a comparison of the two? I'm interested in hearing about amenities (clean bathrooms, loungers/umbrellas, food/drink availability), crowds, and sand/water quality. I'm not interested in snorkeling.

Thanks!

Can anyone who has been to both beaches give me a comparison of the two? I'm interested in hearing about amenities (clean bathrooms, loungers/umbrellas, food/drink availability), crowds, and sand/water quality. I'm not interested in snorkeling.

Thanks!

I don't know about comparing the two, but last week Magens Bay was so crowded that it was towel to towel on the beach!

Megans Bay - When we went in October last year (total 3 ships in port) it was not at all crowded. There is only 1 restaraunt with a limited menu. There are some boats / Kayaks etc for rent but I didn't see any wave runners, para sailing etc. Basically it's a beach..but VERY beautiful. And no surf whatsoever (since it is a Bay). And no option for "au Naturale" sunning.

Orient Beach - MANY choices for beach bars / restaraunts places to rent chair and umberellas. Many more options for "adventure" type activities such as waverunners, trampoliens in the water, etc. Generally a much more active crowd. The beach is very pretty but not as picturesque at Megans IMO. Orient beach is much longer than Megans. At orient beach just about anywhere there will be women sunning topless. At the far end (where the yellow umbrellas are) it is fully clothing optional. There was some amount of "wave action" on the water. Orient has a much wider opening to the bay.

In my opinion, both are awesome, they are just different experiences.

Re-reading your OP.

Sand - i felt the sand was finer at Megans than at Orient. Both are a far cry from Sandy Hook or Wildwood / Cape May, NJ, VA Beach or Cape Cod where we go in the summer!

There are public bathrooms at Megans. I'm not sure about Orient as when we were there we "base camped" at one of the Beach Bars and used their facilities.

Water was clearer (because it was more calm) at Megans. Both places the water was just fine quaility wise. Again, comparing to US East Coast beaches you could see your feet at waist depth both places, not have them "dissapear" at 6" depth.

Both had lounges and umbrellas available. One vendor (The Park it's self) at Megans, MANY choices at varying prices at Orient.

Again, both are great just weight the difference.

If it were me and I was on a cruise going to both St. Thomas and St. Maarten, I would do both!

Re-reading your OP.

Sand - i felt the sand was finer at Megans than at Orient. Both are a far cry from Sandy Hook or Wildwood / Cape May, NJ, VA Beach or Cape Cod where we go in the summer!

There are public bathrooms at Megans. I'm not sure about Orient as when we were there we "base camped" at one of the Beach Bars and used their facilities.

Water was clearer (because it was more calm) at Megans. Both places the water was just fine quaility wise. Again, comparing to US East Coast beaches you could see your feet at waist depth both places, not have them "dissapear" at 6" depth.

Both had lounges and umbrellas available. One vendor (The Park it's self) at Megans, MANY choices at varying prices at Orient.

Again, both are great just weight the difference.

If it were me and I was on a cruise going to both St. Thomas and St. Maarten, I would do both!

Thank you this was so helpful. Okay, we will!

perl: There are no hotels on Magens. It was donated to the people of the Virgin Islands for enjoyment. It is run by the Magens Bay Authority and, as you already know, has a very casual restaurant/bar, a small store (lots of bathing suits!) and rentals of chairs. It has a sandy gentle entrance, perfect for floating and bobbing in shallow water. It isn't a great snorkeling beach. There are bathrooms and showers. It is the pride of Virgin Islanders who have beach picnics and parties on weekends, meet there to swim or run in the morning and relax with families. :)

Thanks!

Having been to MB, I would say that it is "one beach" whereas Orient is comprised of many different restaurants/bars and activities to choose from one end to the other.

Take a look at this map of Orient.

Archived