Medically prescribed marijuana

bodog402

Personally, ANY advise given here, with the exception of the wise advise to talk to someone who actually knows how to deal with a situation like this, is really bad advice.

Oh yah.

I figure it this way: am I interested in spending time in a foreign jail?

Once I've answered that question, well .....you can see where the answer is headed....

The "What Not To Pack" list specifically lists "Medical Marijuana"

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/NotToPack.htm

Bummer.

rules rules rules, I say what the heck, try it and then don't forget to come back here and give us the ENTIRE STORY of how you (or your friend) got caught and all the additonal dirt. Because, that no doubt will be a great story.

:eek:

PLEASE!!! Calm down people!! Nobody is getting strip searched. Nobody is getting arrested for smoking. The local police from whatever port you are in are not going to storm the ship. No crew member will throw anybody in the brig. Every cruise I have been on I could smell it somewhere. I would recommend that you have a balcony to go smoke as I imagine it would stink up the room. Keep it in the safe so your steward doesn't get some party supplies.LOL! BTW I wonder how many of the previous posters who are sticklers for the rules smuggle alcohol aboard. It is illegal so their is risk involved but probably minimal. I pray your friend beats back the cancer.

PS don't take it off the ship.

I sure do look forward to the day when the stigma from this helpful substance is gone.

Cruise lines trumpet the joys of alcohol day and night... but the weed is so much less harmful and is not addictive.

I would also say it is not fattening like alcohol but you have to account for the munchies :p!

Will the cruise be leaving from Canada or the US. If the Cruise is leaving from a US port your friend would be in violation of the law as soon as she crossed the US border.

Now to be realistic, it is unlikely she will be stopped and searched on the way into the states from Canada. However if disembarking at a US port at the end of the cruise, there would be potential for an issue.

Just my $.02 but I'd NEVER encourage anyone to bring an illegal substance on a ship. I find that rather reckless.

I've seen far too many people arrested for using the stuff they bought in port. Some spent the remainder of their voyage in the brig.

Don't buy it in port, bring it from home :p

Anyone on here ever watch the show on the National Geographic channel called "Locked up Abroad"?? None of them thought they'd be arrested either.

My first cousin was arrested in Jamaica with a friend for buying.

Friend bought from dealer.

Dealer tipped off the cops.

Cousin & friend arrested.

Paid some arbitrary fine (what they had on them?)

Cop then turned around and tried to sell same back to them :eek:

It is sooooo about the money there.

IMHO, if your friend is discreet about it, she'll be fine. Don't try to bring it back into the country, don't bring it ashore. Don't ask me how I know. ;) And lastley, be thankful you live in Canada where there seems to be a whole lot more common sense, concerning the subject, than here in the States.

<SeaScout hops on his soapbox> It's a stupid law that needs to be changed. Are you listening Calif. folks. Remember to vote on Prop 19.

To celebrate my old college roommates six month remission from breast cancer, I have invited her to a Carnival Christmas cruise, most likely aboard the Glory leaving December 26th. Thank God, my friend is doing much better, but she is still on chemotherapy which sometimes makes her sick and with the possible combination of rough sea’s, I suggested that she continues using while on the cruise ( when necessary) her medically prescribed marijuana. As a Canadian citizen, the lawful use of medically prescribed marijuana is much more lax than it is here in the states and I wondered if anyone has had an experience aborad a Carnival ship regarding this issue ? I contacted Carnival and they suggested that I consult with an attorney since this was a legal issue and each jurisdiction the ship will visit is different. I spoke with my attorney who advised to either obtain a written policy declaration from Carnival, or just cruise on another cruise line that will allow this practice, or use it VERY discreetly. Any suggestions would be appreciated !

I'm with some of the posters that said it is not a good idea to cruise while doing chemo. Your immune system is really low and chances of catching something is significantly higher. She really needs to get a ok from her doctor. Not sure why she is still on chemo if she has been in remission for six months?

Now regarding the pot........just use it very discreetly and whatever you have left the last night either smoke it or dump it;) The drug dogs only go thru the luggage on debarkation not embarkation;)

If you have a perscription for Medical Marijuana (Or your friend) then he or she knows you can get it in many forms IE: Candy, pills, etc..... My wife who has a legal persciption (In Calif. We live in NY but have a place in Calif. near NV) takes it when she has her treatments but she doesn't smoke it anymore she buys the lollypops and a few licks and she feels much better. Smoking it was causing her lung issues.

We have smelled people smoking it on Carnival twice, both on the Empress decks by the suites. Smell was very heavy on the balcony quite often and there were times we could smell it in the hallways. Our neighbor thought it was us because my wife was sick and they called and complained on us, nobody even came up or called us. She had a two lollypops and she put them in a different wrapper. These do not smell or would cause anyone else any displeasure.

If you insist on the smoking kind I wouldn't put it in your luggage or carry ons just put it in your pocket and you won't have an issue. In 2002 when my wife was on Chemo the first time (this summer was her 7th time) she got the smoking kind and brought it back on the plane to NY no issues, unless they do a strip search they aren't going to find it. Keep in mind it's 100% illegal and the ship could give you hassles if they wanted to.

I don't see an issue but I wouldn't go telling people you have it and show them paperwork it's leagal in Canada and some states. Your not supposed to bring it accross state lines (or that is my understanding). NJ has just approved it but they are strict, unlike Ca, NV and Canada.

Lousy advice. The OP is entering the US twice and customs does not look kindly on transporting drugs into the country.

Thats untrue the only people who get arrested on the boat are those who are smuggling it back into the USA. These are large quantities that are being bought(often Mexico, Jamacia) to resell, not for personal use. Getting a small amount onboard is not an issue, nobody does body scans.

NO police are going to meet a boat becasue someone smoked a joint on the ship unless they have a huge amount. I would also only bring the small amount she or he will need for the cruise. It is illegal and you can get caught, but they aren't looking for the causal smoker they want the dealers. I haven't seen them getting off after, and once we had someone on house arrest but that was RCCL but they had a few pounds in there from they picked up in Jamacia.

Again I would suggest they check out the Pills or Candy formats, why take a risk?

You really have no idea how CBP works. If you are found in possession of a usable amount you will be arrested. Stop encouraging people to violate Federal criminal statutes. This is not a Carnival rule like smuggling this is federal law that can result in a prison sentence even for a first time offender.

I sure do look forward to the day when the stigma from this helpful substance is gone.

Cruise lines trumpet the joys of alcohol day and night... but the weed is so much less harmful and is not addictive.

I would also say it is not fattening like alcohol but you have to account for the munchies :p!

I agree. And I don't even partake.

PLEASE!!! Calm down people!! Nobody is getting strip searched. Nobody is getting arrested for smoking. The local police from whatever port you are in are not going to storm the ship. No crew member will throw anybody in the brig. Every cruise I have been on I could smell it somewhere. I would recommend that you have a balcony to go smoke as I imagine it would stink up the room. Keep it in the safe so your steward doesn't get some party supplies.LOL! BTW I wonder how many of the previous posters who are sticklers for the rules smuggle alcohol aboard. It is illegal so their is risk involved but probably minimal. I pray your friend beats back the cancer.

PS don't take it off the ship.

Same here... smelled it every cruise so far. And it doesn't bother me a bit.

My friends just went on a Carnival cruise and snuck marijuana onboard. They stuffed joints in a tube of toothpaste.

Apparently it makes its way on quite often.

Nobody is getting arrested for smoking. The local police from whatever port you are in are not going to storm the ship.

My guess is you have never cruised to Bermuda....Each ship Bermuda local police drug sniffing dogs board and go up and down the cabin hallways. They hit on one door and it then find your stash your vacation just got a lot more expensive. Nice one way air trip home and a 1500.00 fine

First, I thank everyone, well most everyone for their input regarding cruising while on chemotherapy and using medically prescribed marijuana. My friend was given the okay to limit her chemotherapy during the week of Christmas by her oncologist as long as all goes well thus allowing her to take a break and enjoy her cruise. Additionally, the oncologist strongly recommended against the use of marijuana and suggested several other prescriptions to control my friends condition.

It just seemed very odd to me that a human being who was so close to death would have such a hard time for smoking a little pot in order to control her sickness. Doesn’t our government have better things to do than trying to bust some middle aged lady for two joints ? Thanks

Also, I just booked a balcony, on the the seventh floor towards the back of the ship to avoid any problems.

First, I thank everyone, well most everyone for their input regarding cruising while on chemotherapy and using medically prescribed marijuana. My friend was given the okay to limit her chemotherapy during the week of Christmas by her oncologist as long as all goes well thus allowing her to take a break and enjoy her cruise. Additionally, the oncologist strongly recommended against the use of marijuana and suggested several other prescriptions to control my friends condition.

It just seemed very odd to me that a human being who was so close to death would have such a hard time for smoking a little pot in order to control her sickness. Doesn’t our government have better things to do than trying to bust some middle aged lady for two joints ? Thanks

Also, I just booked a balcony, on the the seventh floor towards the back of the ship to avoid any problems.

I understand your points. On the ship, OUR gummint isn't gonna be the concern. That's where the problem is.

Prop 19 or not, the people's Republic of California cannot pass a law that supercedes federal law.

Here's a fun oversaes law: in Jamaica, a cop can sell you a hooter and then arrest you buying that hooter. How 'bout THAT for some fun!

Here's part of the problem....there are people who think that Reefer Madnes was a live-shot documentary.

If everyone has the munchies, they will eat more - thus costing Carnival $$$$. Of COURSE they want to ban it!

To celebrate my old college roommates six month remission from breast cancer, I have invited her to a Carnival Christmas cruise, most likely aboard the Glory leaving December 26th. Thank God, my friend is doing much better.....

I am a big advocate of women getting early breast exams starting in their 20s. I have two close friends who are breast cancer survivors but the scary part is that both their daughters also got breast cancer in their mid 20s. I think it is wonderful that you are doing this for your friend and tell her I am praying for her. But listen to Host Mach. He will never give any one of us advice unless he researched the information first before he puts it out here. Ask your friend to speak with her oncologist and see if there is another mediation that she can take just for that week that will help with the side effects of her treatments. It isn't worth the risk getting arrested and landing in jail in a foreign country. And with her condition the care she will receive will be next to nothing.

Good luck.

Archived