Are cabin assignments final?

nicolewisconsin

I have the same enquiring mind, as the people working check-in on the pier don't have access to the systems necessary to process a purchase for an upgraded room in my experiences. Even when I've seen people enquire about purchasing upgrades they've been directed to ask once onboard the ship. I'd be interested in hearing more details as to how the poster was able to accomplish this since I've never heard of it in almost 15 years sailing on Princess.

I hope we get an answer to this question, as I really would love to hear the details. If there are higher category cabins available at boarding, it is possible to pay at the purser's desk to upgrade, but the price will be the same as it was before you left for the cruise, Princess does not discount the price onboard to upgrade your stateroom. And although there might be a few sailings where higher categories were available at boarding, it is also very rare.

But again, I have never heard of anyone (except this one account) of anyone upgrading at pier check in. And just a mention of it by one person will not convince me this is the way Princess does things after I have seen just the opposite of this in 26 Princess sailings. ;)

LMHSRN, I did look back on your previous posts and it seems you enjoy jumping into discussions on many boards telling people they are wrong (without many, if any, details) and calling them names (appreciate you not calling me names BTW :)) which in my book tends to question the credibility of what you say (but I would love to hear the details, as I said earlier, to prove myself and a few others wrong, as I would welcome pier check in discounts/upgrades as other cruise lines offer).

I think you have now. We had two balcony cabins and paid to upgrade to mini suites (side by side) at the pier.
This was obviously an exceptional situation as the check-in reps have limited access to passenger information and no access to the booking system. Their computers can only see the info needed for check-in and they are unable to make any changes to a booking, whether it's a cabin or dining preference.

Like Toto, I've never heard of this being done, and I've heard plenty of irate, aggressive, argumentative people attempting to make a change at check-in, to no avail. No matter what, I would never imply to others that it's possible because it's not. The last thing I would want to do is set people's expectations to be disappointed.

I hope we get an answer to this question, as I really would love to hear the details.

Oh well, looks like we're not going to get more details on this supposed pier-purchased upgrade. But, like you said, at least this time LMHSRN didn't come in slinging insults...

Archived