Any GEM Secrets to Pass Along

johnnyd

The service IMO is way better at Magenta's, it is more intimate, almost the feeling of a specialty restaurant on the ship.

Grand Pacific is really grand.... you have waiters running all around and to me is not great.

Menu is the same but the overall experience is better in Magenta ( and usually open on sailaway, a fast not crowed lunch :p )

I agree and would add, in rough seas it is much calmer midships in Magenta.

If you are asking about the spa pass, you buy that in the waiting area while waiting to get on the ship in the NYC port.

really,thats great to know. I don't ever remember seeing them in the terminal before. so excited about getting this pass, doing a 9 day with friends so this will be awesome. happy sailing to you all, i still have sooo long to wait but it will be worth it

I think those are the only hot tubs. Hopefully, there won't be a lot of kids on board when you sail. It if's summer, forget about it.

BTW, My DW and wife were on a Norwegian cruise last year and ate at LeBistro specialty restaurant one night. I would have to agree that the service was very slow and we complained as my daughter had to get to an event and did not even get to the entree. The maitre'd was ever so accommodating and offered us a meal on him on a different night. We took him up on his offer and the service was awesome.

They really want you to be satisfied, so don't hesitate to let them know if something is wrong (in a nice way of course).

We'll be enoying the Gem for our honeymoon - does anyone know if there are hot tubs to enjoy that are NOT pool side? Seems to me that they are always swarmed by little kids.

If you buy a pass to the spa there is a nice hot tub there that is not usually crowded. There is a warm, small pool also. Then the women's changing area has private, personal jetted tubs for just one person. There are many other things in the spa too, of course.

There were 4 hot tubs by the pools and we used those a few times. Surprisingly, they were not overrun by kids. On the chilly days out of NYC, it was nice to hang out in the hot tubs.

Bring your bathing suit with your carry on stuff. First have lunch in the main dining room, then go to cabin and change into your bathing stuff. The jacuzzi's are empty since move people packed their bathing suits in their luggage.

What time are the pools & hot tubs open until? I thought I remember reading someones comment that they would often go use a hot tub late at night, when the deck was pretty much empty - is this allowed, or do they close at a certain time? Also, how late are the bars & lounge open until?

Cruising for the first time in about 42 day and can't wait!!!!

What time are the pools & hot tubs open until? I thought I remember reading someones comment that they would often go use a hot tub late at night, when the deck was pretty much empty - is this allowed, or do they close at a certain time? Also, how late are the bars & lounge open until?

Cruising for the first time in about 42 day and can't wait!!!!

hot tubs are always open, the pool is cleaned and emptied at night, and in case you didn't know the pools are salt water, some of the newer ships have fresh water pools but not the gem. Also with hot tubs sometimes the kids are in the hottubs in evening so thats a hit or miss, but they are pretty bare early in the morning. what a better way to start your day off in the hot tub looking at pretty blue water.

happy first cruise, purchase the future cruise deposit on board for $250 and get instant $100 on board credit, welcome to your new addiction and happy sailing

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Thanks all for tips.

Gem tips for me:

- the spa pass was more than worth it- gorgeous space

- the gym was not crowded when I went, which was great

- the food was varied enough and had great melon salads

- the suites are amaizng, and having a concierge/butler really makes the whole week better- if we cruise again i will do it this way for sure.

- if you have a VIP in your group, they will most likely treat the whole group as VIPS. my parents had a huge suite and we had smaller connecting rooms that would not have gotten us that treatment but they were amazing to all of us

- second city show was very funny

- food in bistro was nothing to write home about, service very slow

- loved the tepanyaki - a nice change

- tex/mex restaurant: food was amazing.

- I found that there were fewer kids than i thought which was nice -even having a 2yo i didn't want to be surrounded

- I found it to be very polite, all the guests, I had no negative interactions

- service was amazing throughout

- kids club was good to have- used it twice

- for us it was worth teh horseshoe beach excursion

- snuba a total waste of money

- I am not sure our boat was at full capacity. If it was I am amazed at how easy the whole thing was -even on sea days

After having gone, I am glad I brought the following things:

- a flashlight to check in on daughter in her room at night

- coffee travel mugs because those coffee cups were way too small and hard to carry around without dripping

- personal blender for my shake, when I didn't feel like going to eat out

- delicates hanger, to hang suits from every day on teh balcony- dried way faster than in the bathroom

- power strip

- wine

I didn't need the following:

- anythign to hodl open doors- they had door stops and some doors had strong magnets to hold them open

- suite had a wine opener

-

things i wish I had known:

how EASY it was to bring extra bags. I overdid it on trying to get into two bags and then they don't care, truly- how much you take on. I wish I brought snacks/almonds, baby's favorite foods.

Thanks for all the good tips.

• 2 years later...