Freedom of the Seas - 10/24-10/31 Days In Review

SliderNc

Since childhood, I was fascinated with cruising and ships. My father worked in the industry for 50+ years before retiring 6 years ago and we'd cruise 2-3 times a year. After high school, I took a break from cruising to enjoy other land based vacations and explore parts of the world that ships can't reach. About 2 years ago, my now fiance and I took a cruise on Mariner of the Seas for 7 days to the Western Caribbean and loved it and definitely were hooked again. Earlier this year after getting engaged, we decided to book another cruise and chose Freedom of the Seas for late October. The price was right and it gave us plenty of time to plan and take time off.

Prior to this, Jenn and I have had a rough 2 months. We had two deaths in the family within a week of each other, as well as some illness scares and a rough travel schedule for work for Jenn. A week before we left, we found out that another family member was now very ill and did not look like they were going to make it through the week we were away. Too much stress to take on for the both of us, however, we managed through the two months before the cruise and were able to get through the week before and start our vacation a little early.

The next few posts will be a play by play of what we did on Freedom of the Seas and in the ports of call. Our background: we are both 33 year old business professionals and are pretty well traveled due to our jobs and previous family vacations. We enjoy the beach, haggling for the best price on jewelry, cold drinks and some good laughs.

Sit back and enjoy as I take you through our experience.

Great way to start the review - I am looking forward to reading all of it!

Glad to know you were able to go on the cruise despite a lot of stress over the past few months :)

I am sailing 2 weeks from today and can't wait!

Pre-Cruise Events Friday/Saturday (10/22-10/23)

It was about 4:30PM on Friday when I finally was able to leave the office. Racing home, I was excited that we were now 2 days away from getting on a cruise ship and setting sail for the eastern Caribbean. Jenn had just gotten back from her trip to Mexico the night before and had finished all of the packing. Got home. Double checked that we had everything we needed packed and ready to go. Loaded the dogs and their belongings into the truck and we headed to Jenn's parents house who were going to be watching our dogs for the week. They were also leaving the following morning on a flight to St. Louis for a wedding around the same time as we were. At dinner that night, we were informed that Jenn's grandmother was now on a feeding tube at the nursing home she was at and was not doing very well. It was hard to hear this prior to us leaving the next morning for vacation. After the last two deaths about a month and half ago, emotionally we were both drained. I had not purchased insurance for the trip so that would mean we'd be out the money if we had to turn around and come back if something were to happen.

We woke up around 6AM the next morning so that we could have breakfast with her parents and see them off to their airport. We headed back to our house, stopped to get a few things we new we needed and our luggage from our house and then onto our airport. The excitement was starting to build now as it was officially the start of our vacation. As it would have it, the one airline that I booked our flight on, Jenn nor I have status on it this year and we had to pay for luggage. We packed smartly this time and only had the two large suitcases. We carried on two smaller bags with us as well. Once checked in and at the gate, our plane was called for boarding and we were rushed onto the plane. For those of you wondering, we flew out of Charlotte, NC and into Melbourne, FL on US Airways. It was $60/pp cheaper than flying to Orlando for us unless we took a really late flight, which just wouldn't work for us.

Let me give some commentary on the airport and why I would fly in/out of here again as I'm typing this post up. MLB is a small, 7 gate airport served by Delta and US Airways, as well as some smaller airlines that do charters to the Bahamas. Delta has about 5-6 flights daily on the weekends and US Airways has 3. The terminal is older, but well maintained. When we arrived on Saturday (10/23) at 1PM, it took us 10 minutes to get off the plane, get our baggage from the baggage claim and get our rental car. This morning, checking in was slightly longer due to the fact we had to play the weight game with the two suitcases as one of them was over 50 lbs but still with the few minutes it took us to do that and check-in and go through security screening, it was no more than 20 minutes. Being a small airport, it doesn't have the facilities that other large airports have, but it does have free WiFi, a decent bar and the seating areas are nice. I think that fact that there aren't hundreds of children crying because they just left Disney makes this place a winner. That and there is no crowd either. We literally have the airport to ourselves and it's lovely. Jenn is sitting here reading as I'm typing up the review.

Hertz had us a 2009 Toyota Carola ready for us with a full tank of gas and we were off to visit some family in Daytona Beach for the afternoon. Visiting with family was pretty uneventful, but I did find something I wanted to add to my Christmas list: PS3 with the Move accessories. What a neat game. We have a Wii, but the Move just amazed me with how much more realistic it was. Since we hadn't eaten since 6AM that morning, we stopped off for a late lunch and to pick up some more reading material for the ship. Back to PC we went. The ride between PC and Daytona is a little over an hour or so.

Our accommodations for Saturday night were at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Cape Canaveral, which has a lovely view of the port. Jenn was able to secure a room for us there on points which was nice. At check-in, we were upgraded to a two room suite since she has status there and decided to head down to the hot tub to enjoy a few cocktails and relax. I highly recommend this hotel for a few reasons. First, the hotel is really nice and all of the rooms are suites. This is great if you have kids because you'll have plenty of room for them. As well, it's a pretty modern hotel as well with free breakfast in the AM, complementary coffee and free WiFi. They also have a park/stay package for cruisers. I don't know how much it costs this time, but when we used it, it was $6/pp to leave the car and use their shuttle service. Since we had the Hertz rental car, we used their shuttle to the port. Hertz's return in Cape Canaveral is literally right in front of the hotel, which was convenient. I know it's a little on the pricey side, but overall, i think it's a great hotel and would stay here pre-cruise every time.

Jenn and I decided that we had enough for one day and turned in early. As usual, I knew I wasn't going to get much sleep as we are getting on a ship the next day and I had so much to look forward to. We had been on the Mariner before so Freedom wasn't going to be much different, just a bit bigger with some more fun stuff.

As a side note, this will get a little long winded at times and I will attempt to keep it as light and fun as possible from here on out. I'm more than willing to answer any questions about our cruise. Our cabin steward removed all of our compasses each night and left us only on the new one for the day however, I will do my best to answer anything in regards to them, dining menus, etc. as I can.

I'll hopefully continue this later tonight as Jenn wants to get on and check email, Facebook, etc. It will take me a few days to post everything and get the pictures up as well.

SliderNC. A few questions; how far of drive is it from MLB-Port Canaveral? We are taking our kids and grandkids on Freedom next year. Right now I am planning on flying everyone into MCO; becuase I can get everyone there nonstop; they are coming from two different parts of the US and they have babies; but I am interested in the drive time; I do not think I can fly nonstop from DCA or CVG to MLB. Anyway looking forward to your review; on a side note; a few years ago my wife and I were at the airline gate waiting for our flight to Miami to board Explorer of the Seas, when we got the call that our son-in-law was killed in an auto accident; you go from a very high state of mind all the way down to nothing. Anyway, keep the posts coming.

SliderNC. A few questions; how far of drive is it from MLB-Port Canaveral? We are taking our kids and grandkids on Freedom next year. Right now I am planning on flying everyone into MCO; becuase I can get everyone there nonstop; they are coming from two different parts of the US and they have babies; but I am interested in the drive time; I do not think I can fly nonstop from DCA or CVG to MLB. Anyway looking forward to your review; on a side note; a few years ago my wife and I were at the airline gate waiting for our flight to Miami to board Explorer of the Seas, when we got the call that our son-in-law was killed in an auto accident; you go from a very high state of mind all the way down to nothing. Anyway, keep the posts coming.

Today from PC to the airport, it took our driver (Melbourne Airport Shuttle) 40 minutes going down US-1. He said normally, it's about 30-35 minutes but with some road closures due to an air show at Patrick AFB, he had to reroute. MLB is a great airport if you don't mind connecting via Delta/USAir through Charlotte or Atlanta. Those were the only two airlines and originating cities that serve them currently. I've heard a rumor from the Us Air people that they might add a United flight from Dulles in the future but nothing was set in stone as of yet. I know that the cruise lines say to use MCO as you'll get a better selection of flights, however, due to how late we were booking our flights MLB turned out to be cheaper and with better times.

I'll hopefully continue this review tomorrow. We got back to Charlotte around 3PM today and just got back from picking up our dogs and spending some time with my fiance's parents at their place. It's been a long week for us, as you will see in some later posts, but enjoyable one none the less.

Just some interesting facts on this cruise:

1. I didn't notice in any of the Cruise Compasses or any announcements that they were having the one night deck party with the food, etc. It seems they've done away with that unless I completely missed it.

2. Captain Tor was seen around the ship many times (I counted 6 alone) where he wasn't required to be there normally. I talked with him for a few minutes on my way out of Windjammer one afternoon after getting a few iced teas for our walk back to our cabin. He was extremely friendly and happy to talk to just about anyone. We talked for a few minutes about cruising and the ship and headed off. Later that week, he saw me again near the elevators and waved and said hello. Really nice feeling.

3. The service overall was excellent. The only people who didn't seem happy to be there were the towel attendants and to be honest, I can't blame them. I think the towel system plain stinks. There were more lines for towels and problems with people returning/getting towels all week than there were at Sprinkles or the Windjammer for lunch. They really need to rethink this a little bit. On one occasion, we waited about 20 minutes for towels mainly because people were having problems with being told they had towels outstanding. I made a comment about this on the Gust Satisfaction Survey as it was the only problem I really had with anything all week.

4. The Boleros bartenders make a stiff drink. Get to know them as they are fun guys. Jose and Shelvin absolutely made our week perfect every night and one day especially.

Great review so far! We are sailing on the Freedom in Jan. 2011 and we had previously been on the Mariner as well! Looking to hearing about the rest of your trip.

Ugh, towel return...not looking forward to that. My sister and I were on the Liberty and they had the same thing. Why can't RCL just leave clean, fresh towels in your room like Princess or Carnival? The towel return is a pain!

Yes the midnight buffets are now gone. But the onboard chefs do offer the Freedom Fest in the Royal Promenade towards the end of the cruise w/ food and demos on how things are done around the ship.

Things have changed since my last cruise in March - the late night pool deck party with buffet was alive and well on the AOS......

So are you saying that event no longer takes place on any ship in the fleet?

Can't wait to read the rest of your review. What did you think about the ship moving so much during the week? This was only my second cruise but the movement of the ship due to the winds was a bit scary at moments. It ended up rocking me to sleep every night but a few in my family got sick.

Embarkation Day

There were a few long days prior to us getting to Florida, so we both slept like babies the night before Embarkation. We awoke around 8AM and I looked out the window and saw the bow of the ship over at the port. I immediately became excited like when I was 10 years old and got my Nintendo for Christmas. Jenn got just as excited as I did. We were so happy this day was finally here that we had waited and counted down to for the past 9 months.

We grabbed breakfast at the hotel, which was basically a pretty good buffet with eggs, sausage, waffles, gravy, biscuits, cereals, etc. After filling up, we headed out to Publix to grab a few things we thought we might need for the trip and came back to freshen up and finish packing what we didn't need for that immediate day.

Hopped in the rental car, drove the grueling 250 feet to the Hertz office, dropped the car off and got on the next shuttle to the port. This was around 10:15AM. By 10:30AM, we were sitting in chairs waiting to get on the ship. There was a wedding that was ahead of us and some travel agents who boarded, then the suite/priority boarding guests, and then us. We were onboard by around 10:50AM and headed to the WindJammer for lunch.

First impressions of Freedom is that she looks great. The Promenade has a wonderful shine to it, the carpets looked to be in pretty good shape. Wind Jammer was pretty empty, but it was early, so it was expected. Food choices were similar to what we had on Mariner two years ago. We had the honey stung chicken that everyone raves about, and found it to be soggy and not as appetizing as it was on the Mariner. Everything else we had was fine for the most part and this was the case for the rest of the week. At the end of the review, I'll give an overall rating for the major areas of the ship that we used.

After lunch, we wandered around the ship. We took a look at the Flowrider and watched some people take some turns boogieboarding. We walked through the Promenade again and looked at each store, checked out the venues until it was time to get to the cabin. Cabins were available at 1PM, which is the usual time they are available and we began our long walk from the centrum to the end of the ship.

Cabin 9404 is on Deck 9, at the aft of the ship. It is a category E2 corner aft balcony. Dimensions can be found on the RCCL site as well by searching on her for Bonnie Voyager's threads about aft cabins. I will post pictures when I get home in a little bit and will continue this...

Embarkation Day Continued

Here are some pictures of the cabin we stayed in:

Cabin1.jpg?m=1288667437

Pardon the mess as we were just happy to get into the cabin that afternoon and get the AC turned down so it would be nice and cold.

Cabin2.jpg?m=1288667527

The balcony, which I thought I had a picture of and apparently don't, is shaped like a slice of pie that your little kid would cut. On the balcony were a chaise lounge which was used a few times when we were in motion, two chairs and a small table. I wish the table was a little bigger so that we could have brought our breakfast out onto the balcony each morning and eaten out there. The balcony is a good size and you could easily have 4-6 adults out here with drinks without a problem standing around. The walk was the best part as it forced us to exercise a bit each day. Overall, for the price we paid, I felt the cabin was a good value and wouldn't hesitate to book this cabin again. The balcony is not as big as the D1's on Deck 10 or the ones on Deck 7 which I see mentioned, but if you aren't planning on entertaining the entire M&M crowd, then there's plenty of room for two people.

A few days before we left, I had booked the Romance package so that we could enjoy sailaway on our balcony with a bottle of champaigne. Included with this was a set of 4 cupcakes and later on we would have breakfast in bed (or not in bed), as well as light snacks and petite fours the first formal night. Overall, I felt it was a little over priced, but the smile it brought to my fiance's face was all that mattered to me at this point.

We dropped off our carry on bags, threw on our swim suits and headed up to the Solarium to soak up some sun and take a dip in the pools/whirlpools. What would become an everyday ritual for us on our way to the pool after lunch or after coming back from a port would be to grab a cone at Sprinkles, where they have the soft serve ice cream. Ironically, it's called Sprinkles, but there were none to be found. We easily found two chairs at the Solarium and took a nap for a few hours. We woke up around 3:30PM or so, took a quick dip in the pool and then a quick jump in the hot tub while they started the announcements for the muster drill. No surprises here at 4PM when they set off the emergency/warning sounds/lights and we went to our muster station. One of the pluses to our cabin is that there is a service doorway next to it that leads directly down to our muster station. However, as we were at the pool, we just strolled over to the centrum stairs and walked down to Deck 4. Muster lasted about 15 minutes or so and life jackets are not required. It was pretty hot for October so we ran back upstairs to jump in the pool again and then down to the cabin just in time to sail out of PC. We sat on the balcony for a bit that evening as we sailed out the channel and caught up to the Carnival ship. In the distance, the Disney ship was just pulling out of the channel and failing in behind us. Jenn and I must have sat out there for about 2 hours or so, just enjoying the scenery. Here's what it looks like after about 2 hours of so from leaving port:

Wake1.jpg?m=1288668093

Not too shabby eh?

At this point, it was around 7PM or so and I went into the hallway and voila, our luggage had magically appeared. If there is one thing that my fiance is good at, it's unpacking and packing. I swear she's got this down to a science, but that must come with traveling 60-80% of the time for work the last 5 years. All showered up, we headed out to dinner but not before we made our way to Boleros on Deck 4 to meet the bartender who would become our new favorite friend, Jose.

Dinner was a highlight of our last cruise on Mariner because we were lucky enough to sit with a couple our age from Sweden. They spoke pretty good English, but it was the first cruise and they had many questions. They were a lot of fun and we've had many laughs about how since we were so lucky last time at dinner, we would be not so lucky this time. Earlier in the day, we had checked out our table (412) and were happy with it as it was next to a window and in a "corner" of the MDR.

To be continued tomorrow....

FYI, I've been downloading/resizing photos so as to not blow out the margins on the screen and make for easy reading. I'll try to make a few installments each day and get the pictures uploaded as I go so it might take me a few days to get this all out.

Ariels Mom: I'm assuming that RCCL had an issue with people not returning the beach towels or losing them or something stupid like that. So instead of putting them in your room, they've setup two towel stations on Deck 11 next to the doors leading into the Solarium from the larger pool area. In order to get towels, you present your Seapass card, tell the unhappy person behind the counter how many you want. They sigh, scan your card, hand you the towels and away you go. There's a sign that says failure to return the towels prior to 10PM the last night of the cruise will result in $25/towel charge on your Seapass card.

The problem with this is that either:

• Some people don't get the system and think that just dumping the towels without them scanning your card means you've returned them.
  • The people behind the counter forget to scan your card if you return them and do not take new ones
  • The system is faulty, creates a line that sometimes goes the whole length of the deck because they either run out of towels or people stand there and argue about returning/not returning towels.

To be honest, I don't see any advantage to this over the old system where the room attendant just put new ones in the room for you each day if you used the current ones and they were on the floor. They can still charge you whatever you want if you take them or forget them in port, etc and there would then not be lines all over the pool deck of people waiting for towels. My fiance who jobs requires her to provide lean/efficient processes for her company to follow said it could have been the most inefficient process on the ship she saw.

I'm not sure if they done away with the one night midnight buffet on all ships, but on Freedom, there was none. There was, as was mentioned, the Freedom Fest, but we did not attend.

As you can see from my sig, I've been on a few cruises, some on ships 1/10th the size of Freedom. I didn't feel that the seas were that rough and gentle swaying was nice as it made me remember each day that I was on a cruise and not on land for a week. Also, the way the swells were hitting the ship, we were more of a side to side rather than a front to back rocking motion, which was nice at night gentle lull me to sleep. Ofcourse, it also might have been what I had drank that night, but that's an entirely different story.

@SliderNC,

Great review so far. I've been reading various reviews from people of various ages and backgrounds, and I think I've found the review I've been looking for. My wife and I are also professionals in our 30's and we're looking at an E. Caribbean cruise on the FOS next October.

Thanks again for the play-by-play, keep it up!

SliderNc ariels mom: I'm assuming that rccl had an issue with people not returning the beach towels or losing them or something stupid like that. So instead of putting them in your room, they've setup two towel stations on deck 11 next to the doors leading into the solarium from the larger pool area. In order to get towels, you present your seapass card, tell the unhappy person behind the counter how many you want. They sigh, scan your card, hand you the towels and away you go. There's a sign that says failure to return the towels prior to 10pm the last night of the cruise will result in $25/towel charge on your seapass card.

The problem with this is that either:

• some people don't get the system and think that just dumping the towels without them scanning your card means you've returned them.
  • the people behind the counter forget to scan your card if you return them and do not take new ones
  • the system is faulty, creates a line that sometimes goes the whole length of the deck because they either run out of towels or people stand there and argue about returning/not returning towels.

to be honest, i don't see any advantage to this over the old system where the room attendant just put new ones in the room for you each day if you used the current ones and they were on the floor. They can still charge you whatever you want if you take them or forget them in port, etc and there would then not be lines all over the pool deck of people waiting for towels. My fiance who jobs requires her to provide lean/efficient processes for her company to follow said it could have been the most inefficient process on the ship she saw.

Sounds really inefficient :(

Still loving your review and look forward to your next post :)

Dinner/After Dinner on Embarkation Day

My fiance and I are pretty outgoing people and easy to get along with. We enjoy good food, good wine and just good company at dinner and that is one thing that we look forward to on a cruise. We chose originally to dine at a 8-10 person table, however, a few months before, we decided to switch to a 4-6 person table. Before we headed to the pool on the first day, we headed to the dining room. We were on Deck 4 and we checked out our table, which ended up being a 8-10 person table. We checked with the head waiters who were helping people that day and they changed us to a nearby 4-6 person table, close to the window and in a corner somewhat. It was table 412.

So we got dressed up and headed to the MDR. We sat at our table and another couple our age sat with us. We said hello to them and they just smiled and nodded. No big deal as it's first night jitters and we're all shy in some ways. Jenn (my fiance) and I looked through the menu and made our selections. For those wondering, I had the Vidalia Onion Tart, Prime Rib (medium rare) and vanilla ice cream for dessert. We ordered a bottle of wine as well and just started talking to each other about the day and how exicted we were. We turned to our tablemates and asked them where they were from and they said, "Germany". I was excited as some of my relatives are German and I thought it would be neat to learn from where they are from. Jenn had a German exchange student live with her family for 2 years in high school as well. Neither of use speak German however but then again, most other nationalities are good about learning English while Americans aren't as up on learning other languages and some of us still haven't mastered English either.

As it would turn out, that would be the last word they said to us all night. Apparantly, they did not speak any English at all, nor did they want to be bothered with trying to talk with us. It made for an uncomfortable meal for Jenn and I as we are usually pretty talkative and can talk about almost anything. Jenn and I carried on a conversation as they talked in German back and forth to each other. It was really awkward and I think the head waiter and our waiter/assistant noticed this as well (Michael aka "So Nice" from Jamaica and Maria from Peru). I guess it wouldn't have bothered me as much as it did only because we attempted to talk with them and got about nothing out of them and then got made to seem like we didn't exist for most fo the meal. As awkward as it was, Jenn and I managed to kill a bottle of wine before our main course was served and decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a few shots as well while we waited for desert.

Dinner ended for us and we got up and looked at them and said, "Have a good night and see you tomorrow." They just nodded at us. Jenn and I just looked at each other and walked away. Jenn looked at me and goes, "Did I forget to wear deoderant or something?" I turned to her and said, "No, I think it was my breath." Anyway, we were almost to the doors of the MDR when our head waitier, Rama, stepped in front of us and asked if we would like to switch tables to the one next to us, which was an 8 seater. He said that he felt bad that we were sat with that couple as they didn't speak any English and they were on their second week and had sat with two other German couples the week before. Michael, our waiter, came up behind us and appologized and hoped that everything was okay and encouraged us to change tables. Rama smiled and emulated Michael's encouragement for us to change.

I felt bad about changing as Jenn and I don't want to upset anyone, but at the same time, we were a little upset about what happened and both agreed that we wouldn't feel good sitting them another night. Both Rama and Michael assured us that it wouldn't be an issue to change and we finally agreed to it. Rama and Michael both smiled and told us that it would be much more fun for us with that table.

After being released by Rama and Michael once we agreed to switch tables, Jenn and I headed to the casino to make a donation to the electronic monsters. We were there for about an hour when we decided that we should head up to Olive and Twist to get a night cap and relax. We headed up to the lounge and a wonderful guitarist was playing. We found a table, ordered some drinks and started talking with Anibal from Peru. What a wonderful guy. There weren't many people in the bar at that time (it was close to 1130) and he ended up talking to us for a bit about life in Peru and on the ship. We learned that the guitarist had won many awards back in his homeland (Mexico) and was working to become a session player for some Mexican recording artists as well. I have a compass somewhere and I will find his name for everyone, but if you see Guitar Melodies with so and so in either Oliver and Twist, Boleros, or the Schooner Bar, go to at least one of them. You won't be sorry. He plays some classic songs from my parents era to classic rock to some recent hits also. Aside of the original, it was probably the best Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen, Waynes World fame) I've ever heard.

After a few drinks, we retired to the our cabin. There was no towel animal tonight. We filled out the room service door sign and turned in.

It was a great embarkation day for us and we looked forward to Day 2, CocoCay, Bahamas.

This is SO exciting. Love your review.....Even though we've been on Freedom before, it's like going along again with you. We had so much fun on our March trip aboard her that we booked one for our whole family for Jan. 2011. Thanks so much for taking time to do this .... looking forward to the rest!!!

Archived