NCL embarkation/disembarkation tips

Mom2B&Z

I've just read what to me are horror stories on CC's NCL thread about 1.5hr line ups to disembark at ports, long line ups for meals etc. This is my nightmare...my boys will be 5 and 3 yrs when we leave and don't exactly tolerate long waits in crowded lines well. Any tips on how to avoid them? I'm not naive enough to think we'll avoid line ups all together, but surely 1.5 hrs is an anomaly.

We're on the 1/1/11 Sun.

TIA

If tendering at a port, it can be an iffy business. Best not to plan on getting off right away, wait until there is no line. I think most of the horror stories you are reading are about larger ships. We were on the Sun and there were no problems beyond the normal. The buffets can get very busy but you have the option of going to the dining room or you can get room service if you just want sandwiches and the like. I must admit on our last couple of trips on NCL we felt like we were being 'pushed' to pay restaurants by the waits in the 'free' restaurants. Just relax and go with the flow and all will be fine. Some folks have to dash everywhere and it leads to a lot of stress.

until I read the latest reviews from the Sun's trip to Key West out of Port Canaveral. It sounded like disorganized chaos. Not what I expected from an older ship in a well-established line. All I had heard about the freestyle experience was good...until this week. We're pretty flexible, and fortunately have a balcony room so worst case scenario we have picnics on the balcony!

Archived