Verizon coverage in Alaska

susanks1

Supposedly Verizon is coming to Alaska with their own towers and equipment. Hope it gets here soon. Should have some great price wars with other companies up here.

Been on the inside passage twice. Great coverage. My kindle on the other hand suc**d. Took 45 minutes to down load a newpaper in Skagway.

Are there any roaming charges to use your cell in Alaska? If my son can't text for two weeks he'll go crazy.

Be VERY careful if your son is big on texting!!! ON THE SHIP while the ship is NOT docked on AMERICAN soil, it is $.50 to send each text, $.05 to receive. And where it REALLY gets expensive is sending pictures-the data charges are per megabit and you can easily run up a humongous phone bill!!!

OFF the ship-national Verizon plan, unlimited texts-no additional charges in Alaska. INTERNATIONAL roaming charges in Canada (which can get very pricey, also).

We have a large amount of Verizon cells on our corporate account. I send between 6-12 employees to Alaska every summer for work. NONE have had large cell bills EXCEPT the four that took a cruise ship home last year. One had over $1100 phone bill-texting, texting, texting and sending all the pictures he took throughout the summer. Just an FYI.

Thanks everyone, my son and my DH will be happy to hear that. My son knows he can not use his phone while on the cruise ship or while we are in Canada. It won't kill him especially seeing as while we are cruising we will be getting off the ship all but 2 of the 8 days. Thanks again

Archived