Treasures of the Mediterranean on Thomson Dream

Starting at Palma and then visiting

Trapani/Scicilly,

Naples,

Civitavecchia/Rome,

Ajaccio/Corsica

Mahon/Menorca

Then back to Palma

Obviously I want to see as much as we can fit in without breaking the bank can anyone recommend which trips are best at each location and suggest a reputable company to book these with

We would like to see Colosseum and the Roman Forum, the Acropolis and the Pantheon, St Peter’s Basilica and the Sistine Chapel at Rome and Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii at Naples if possible but are open to any suggestions anyone may have as I'm not sure exactly how much time we will have in each port

Hi all

Have just booked our first cruise for July 2011

Treasures of the Mediterranean on Thomson Dream

Starting at Palma and then visiting

Trapani/Scicilly,

Naples,

Civitavecchia/Rome,

Ajaccio/Corsica

Mahon/Menorca

Then back to Palma

We would like to see Colosseum and the Roman Forum, the Acropolis and the Pantheon, St Peter’s Basilica and the Sistine Chapel at Rome and Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii at Naples if possible

I'd be inclined to strike the Acropolis from your plans for Rome.

Partly because it's a bit of a climb.

But mainly because it's in Athens :D

For Rome, you have a basic choice of ship's transport (very poor value) to Rome for a DIY day, or ship's whistle-stop coach tour (not the way I'd want to see Rome, but each to their own), or a private tour (depends on the depth of your pocket), or strike out on your own, using the fast & frequent train service at €9 return (ticket is also good for free travel on city buses & metro). Google Ron in Rome, an excellent website for detailed advice on travel, the best ways to avoid the queues, etc. Buy your Colosseum tickets on-line or at Paletine Hill to avoid long ticket queues, accept that there will be security queues for St Peter's (and check dress code), buy advance timed tickets for Sistine Chapel if you feel that you will have the time on the day. The Forum & Pantheon shouldn't be a problem, ditto Trevi Fountain, plenty of watering holes near these & in the tourist honey-pot of Piazza Navona, close to the Pantheon.

But you may find the day not long enough, so be prepared to modify your plans as you go.

For Naples, Pompeii is cheap (€7) & easy-peasy by frequent Circumvesuvianus train from Piazza Garibaldi to Herculaneum (station name Ercolano) (25 mins?), Pompeii (station name Pompeii Scavi) (35 mins?). And on to Sorrento, which might be worth considering. Or there's cheap direct buses from near your ship to Pompeii. Or for an interesting round-trip, go fast-ferry across the Bay of Naples to spend a little time in Sorrento, then train to Pompeii & same train back to the ship. But no time to add Vesuvius You can pick up a guide on-the-spot at Pompeii if you wish.

Mt Vesuvius is a little more difficult, I don't think there's any scheduled transport, so perhaps a taxi from the ship to Vesuvius & on to Pompeii, then train back. And there's a 15/20 min hike from the carpark to the rim (transport available only for the infirm). I found Vesuvius disappointing.

Give yourself a good 20 mins for the walk back to the ship from the rail station, though buses or even taxis are available if you are short of time.

Thomson's website normally shows arrival/departure time. You should be able to disembark on time if the ports don't involve a tender, latest back-on-board is usually 30 mins before advertised sailing time.

More info on the Ports of Call sections.

And use the search icon at the top of the page to type in the name of a port for previous Q&A. But scroll past all the roll-call threads, looking for ports of call threads.

A mixed & interesting itinerary, have a good one

John Bull

Thanks for your help and advice....re Acropolis I copied and pasted the places of interest from the website of the company I'd booked with so they have made a major mistake there...lol....mind you I didn't notice either...lol

Do you think it's ok to do everything DIY or do you think we would need the services of a guide to appreciate everything

Do you think it's ok to do everything DIY or do you think we would need the services of a guide to appreciate everything

Rome, you'd presumably get more out of it with a private guided tour, not only for the information but also to make best use of your time.

But you need a guide and a driver, the driver stays with the vehicle cos of the parking grief.

So even if you find sharers the whole routine is very expensive compared to the train ticket.

You could check out www.romeinlimo.com which I've seen lauded on these boards.

Pompeii - with a guide you'd know more about what you're looking at, and not expensive. Make your mind up when you get there?

JB

Archived