Your favorite maritime-cruise related book?

WillK

Believe you are thinking of "Nothing Can Go Wrong" by Captain Kilpack of the Mariposa, and co-authored by John D. MacDonald, who, along with his wife, was along on this final world journey of the Mariposa. They alternate chapters and for anyone who loves to cruise this book is priceless. So very funny and so very true---we will all recognize ourselves and fellow passengers in the people on board this trip.

It is out of print now, but if you can find it anywhere, buy it. It's a wonderful read.

Janet

Good thread.

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a couple books to take on my 3/31/05 maasdam cruise. I ordered one from Amazon.com they have a few copies.

What amazon.com has are links to used book suppliers who can send you a used copy (Nothing can go Wrong) for very a very reasonable price. Just found a hard cover copy for $8 including shipping. I was delighted so that I will be able to own this book myself.

Turbey/Lane: When you mention the book on the history of Cunard, are you referring to the book "Cunarder" by Stephen Card, mentioned in Doug's post above in this thread, or to another book on Cunard history?

The reason I ask is that I just found "Cunarder" by Stephen Card available thru the American distributor for Carmania Press and was about to buy it until I read your post.

Thanks for the clarification. DFD

I think it was this: It's a W. W. Norton publication, but I never saw the finished book. I did a google for: Cunard Norton This is an Amazon listing.

Lane

QE2: The Cunard Line Flagship, Queen Elizabeth II

by Ronald W. Warwick "The maritime heritage that gave birth to the Queen Elizabeth 2 stretches back over a period of nearly a century and a half and involves..."

I love this book and the title "An Embarassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude" by Ann Vanderhoof.

It's about a couple who save up for 5 years, to take 2 years and sail from Canada to the Caribbean on their own private boat. It's a true story about their journey and it is wonderful! It's such a great escape from every day life to read about being in the warm Caribbean..it must have been absolutely wonderful to actually experience dropping out of this day to day mess and just sail away.

I think it was this: It's a W. W. Norton publication, but I never saw the finished book. I did a google for: Cunard Norton This is an Amazon listing.

I would probably agree that Commodore Warwick's book could be considered a little "dry" - it's a detailed history of QE2, pure and simple. Personally I like this sort of thing, but it's not something most people would like to sit down and read cover to cover.

"Cunarder" is a fantastic book - the paintings alone make it well worth the price, and the text is the icing on the cake. For those who aren't big Cunard fans, wait for the HAL version that is going to be forthcoming - I am sure it will be a book that every HAL fan should own. For those who love all of Stephen's paintings on the HAL fleet, you will now be able to have your own copy of each and every one :) !

I would probably agree that Commodore Warwick's book could be considered a little "dry" - it's a detailed history of QE2, pure and simple. Personally I like this sort of thing, but it's not something most people would like to sit down and read cover to cover.

For those who aren't big Cunard fans, wait for the HAL version that is going to be forthcoming - I am sure it will be a book that every HAL fan should own.QUOTE]

You optimist, you!

The best thing about that Warwick book was that after I comped it some jerk in the production department hit a few too many keys and changed every single reference to 'Queen Mary' (mostly in the photo caps) to 'Queen Elizabeth', ho ho ho.

I got it back with a nice apologetic note and the original ms., I fixed it and sent it back again with a nice bill for an additional $1100. I love Quark.

Lane

#1 -- The Odyssey, by Homer. The only book that has fantasy islands better than HMC.

#2 -- Steaming to Bamboola, by Christopher Buckley (son of William F.). About tramp steamers.

There's also Jack London's Voyage of the Snark, which is a great book about how not to cruise.

If I were not upon the sea (under the captain's table) - by Joyce Adamadis.

A great read, particularly after meeting Joyce and her husband Captain Adamidis (Celebrity Cruises). If you ever sail Celebrity, you can buy her book in the shops on board. Highly recommend.

Sue

Archived