What to wear???

Lynniec

Would appreciate any thoughts on what to bring in my suitcase. Leaving on March 9th for E. Caribbean. Don't know how many formal nights and just what informal means. Haven't neen to this area before....any thoughts on what is a must to see on the islands just read about Maho Beach ....sounds wonderful. We are 2 retired school principals....are there other former educators going? Have been on the QE2 and are really looking forward to the QM.

I was on the 1/15 Caribbean - 7 nights - we had 3 formal, 2 informal and 2 casual. That part was just like QE2 (I did that June 2003). During the day you just wear summer resort type wear - shorts, colorful shirts, whatever. Days in port for excursions, same thing - whatever is appropriate for the activity you picked. In Jan. it was in the 80's - we went to St. Thomas, St. Martin and St Kitts. Have a great time.

We recently returned from our second Caribbean cruise on the QM2. For some reason Cunard seems very inconsistant in their nightly dress code. We had the same itinerary as Gardenbunny (we were on the January 29, 2005) but had three formal nights, one informal night and three casual nights. So you never know until you are on the ship exactly how many nights of each dress code you will have.

Informal dress code means a sports coat and tie for men and a dressy dress or pants suit for women.

If you have any other questions just ask. You are going to have a wonderful cruise. The QM2 is an amazing ship.

Thanks so much for the wardrobe info....would also like to know about the ports. Any suggestions as to which ones are better. Have read about Maho Beach did either of you get there? So glad to hear such positive comments. I was getting a little worried about this cruise after reading some of the reviews.

Are you going to St. Thomas, St. Martin, and St. Kitts? Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Maho Beach. You can go to the Ports of Call part of this message board and find out lots of information about all the islands

We have been to St. Thomas and St. Martin many times. In St. Thomas we have done island tours and gone to St. John. On St. Martin we have done tours of the Dutch and French sides of the island. And of course, we have shopped in both St. Thomas and St. Martin.

St. Kitts was the only new island to us. We got off the ship and walked toward the tiny town. There was an area set up by the Tourist Bureau of St. Kitts. They offered half island and whole island tours. We took the half island tour and went to the fortress, the botanical gardens and a shop where they were making batik items. These tours were very reasonable and seemed very organized. Our tour was between two and three hours long. The Sugar Train in St. Kitts was very popular as one of the ships tours. It sold out very quickly. People had good things to say about it. If you are interested in that tour you need to book early.

If you're up for an adventure and a once-in-a-lifetime experience, try the America's Cup sailing race excursion while in St. Marteen. It is expensive at about $90, but so amazing!!! I highly recommend it. We all had a blast. After racing on the boats for about 3 hours, you get a complimentary island cocktail afterwards, and then still have plenty of time to wander through the island. Enjoy!!

Thanks Sailsalot....my husband may very well be interested in that. He owned a sailboat for a while and still has a hankering to sail. Think I'll just wander around while he's out there. We haven't received our Cunard packages yet because we booked late am anxious to get the material

Archived