Bringing wine onboard question SPIRIT ship

Cruisedeacon

I realize from all of the talk on this board that a passenger can bring wine on an NCL cruise as long as they pay the corkage fee... (NOT trying to hide that we are wanting to bring wine onboard).. but ALL of the documents say NO alcohol to be brought on... who am I to believe?? I guess I can call NCL tomorrow (we leave on Sunday) .... but will they tell me no alcohol only for me to find out that it really is okay to bring wine? anyone just off the SPIRIT that was able to bring wine on (legally)...

thanks

if you call you can talk to 6 different people and get 6 different answers.

they tell everyone you can't bring soda or water, it's there way of controlling the situation.

but, you can bring your own soda or bottled water..basically anything that is no booze. wine...$15 corkage fee, per bottle. some have been charged $30 for the bigger bottles of wine, some haven't.

there will be a table just to buy the sticker...carry the wine in your carry-on. otherwise you may get called to the naughty room and delay your fun time. if it wasn't allowed, they wouldn't have a table, at check-in, just for this.

We were on a Dawn repo cruise in October and met a couple who bought 8 bottles on board. They said NCL had some sort of embarkation day discount going. They had a "ticket" for each bottle and the waiter would retrieve a bottle when requested. They took whatever remained in the bottle back to their cabin.

I mentioned that I had heard about a corkage fee and they felt it was more cost effective buying the discounted batch of wine. Also avoided the hassle of carrying wine aboard.

We were on the Spirit in September and carried two bottles of wine onboard. Right after the area where they check your carry-on bags through a scanner, there was a table where you could declare your wine and receive stickers for each bottle. Bringing wine onboard is definitely allowed on the Spirit. A passenger had his whiskey confiscated however and was told he could pick it up the last night of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
we brought a box of wine in our carry on... it was scanned and then they sent us along our way.. no corkage fee charged to us...:D

For those that read this wrong, it does NOT mean it is okay to bring box wine. In this situation, they apparently did not see it, and the poster got lucky. There have been reports that they do not even allow box wine by policy. But, at the same time, others have reported paying either $15 or the stated $15 per 750ml.

Of course, the highly intelligent person at the desk sees 3L on the box and might charge 3 times $15. Bad math of course.

I realize from all of the talk on this board that a passenger can bring wine on an NCL cruise as long as they pay the corkage fee... (NOT trying to hide that we are wanting to bring wine onboard).. but ALL of the documents say NO alcohol to be brought on... who am I to believe?? I guess I can call NCL tomorrow (we leave on Sunday) .... but will they tell me no alcohol only for me to find out that it really is okay to bring wine? anyone just off the SPIRIT that was able to bring wine on (legally)...

thanks

Regardless of what they tell you, wine is just fine. Yes, we have taken wine on the Spirit as well as all other NCL ships we have cruised. When they say, no alcohol they mean no hard liquor.

Nita

We were on a Dawn repo cruise in October and met a couple who bought 8 bottles on board. They said NCL had some sort of embarkation day discount going. They had a "ticket" for each bottle and the waiter would retrieve a bottle when requested. They took whatever remained in the bottle back to their cabin.

I mentioned that I had heard about a corkage fee and they felt it was more cost effective buying the discounted batch of wine. Also avoided the hassle of carrying wine aboard.

I think this depends on: 1-what kind of wine you like (both taste and price) and whether you want to drink it in your cabin or at dinner. We usually bring about 3 or 4 bottles to have in the cabin and then may buy wine at dinner or use the wine package.

Nita

What about carrying on a 3-liter bag of wine taken out of a wine box? $15 still? trying to keep it classy here.

That depends on the person at the desk. We have never done the 3 liter, but have done 1.5 liter bottles and always paid just the $15, but others have paid up to $50.00 they report.

Nita

Archived