Reasonably priced solo cruise to Bermuda: mission impossible?

JetSet2B

Why is it so pricey to cruise to Bermuda in general? Also, is it possible to find something for under $1000 :( More like in the $500-600 range? I'm ready to cruise again and want to do something other than the Bahamas. . .

Maybe you could find something last minute off season for $500-600 "Per Person" not "Per cabin." The reason Bermuda is probably more expensive is similar to Alaska. You can only reasonably visit there in the high summer season and supply and demand dictates price. Also, I really don't think Bermuda is huge singles destination - more like couples and honeymooners so cruise line aren't necessarily going to be price friendly for singles. That's not to say you wouldn't have a good time as a single, but you would be in the minority. I'd call a few travel agents in your area and ask their advise regarding your best options.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you drive to NY? If so, you are much better positioned to take advantage of "last minute" cruises to Bermuda. I went twice on the Explorer - first Bermuda cruise after Labor Day around 9/10-12. Starting in July they started lowering the prices and folks who were on top of it had no problem getting a serious price reduction.

Another technique is to take a gamble with deposit money. The money isn't earning you any significant interest. Invest it in the possibility of a cruise by booking something you hope will drop in price. That way you get to select a good room while you wait for your gamble to pay off in a price drop. On RCL the deposit is refundable before final payment.

I inadvertently benefited from this. I had had the 2/6/11 Explorer booked for a long time and then my mother passed away. I decided to take the cruise solo and switched to an inside room in the hopes I could get a better located room when final payment came around. At that time RCL was charging 150% for solo and I thought it was a great deal. Then RCL went crazy with the price drops - I ended up moving from deck 6 to deck 10 by the elevators and paying 100% (residency & senior came into play here). My final price including insurance and taxes was less than the original deposit, so I got some OBC as well.

I'm thinking of doing this with the 9/10/11 Bermuda cruise - gamble with the deposit to see what happens with the price drops. I know a lot of people who are going on this cruise - the CC group is terrific.

Thanks for the replies! 138 East, sorry you lost your mum. I'm not sure I understand the gamble with paying the deposit because most want you to pay the full price in like 2 weeks, right? I've only been on one cruise so it's possible that I just don't understand.

It's a gamble only in the sense that you might not take the cruise, but you wouldn't lose any money. The way RCL works you can put down a deposit on a cruise today, but final payment is not due until 70 days before the cruise. By booking early you get to pick a better room and you are gambling that the price will drop (of course you have to monitor the prices - RCL isn't going to tell you - you have to be proactive and request the price drop). If the price doesn't drop enough to satisfy you, then you cancel the cruise and get your deposit back.

The only problem is that if a price drop occurs after final payment on RCL, you cannot take advantage of it unless it occurs w/in 48 hours of final payment.

Some folks are using the other strategy which is to search for price drops after final payment and make a last minute decision to cruise. This whole game is easier if you can get to the port without flying.

It's a gamble only in the sense that you might not take the cruise, but you wouldn't lose any money. The way RCL works you can put down a deposit on a cruise today, but final payment is not due until 70 days before the cruise. By booking early you get to pick a better room and you are gambling that the price will drop (of course you have to monitor the prices - RCL isn't going to tell you - you have to be proactive and request the price drop). If the price doesn't drop enough to satisfy you, then you cancel the cruise and get your deposit back.

The only problem is that if a price drop occurs after final payment on RCL, you cannot take advantage of it unless it occurs w/in 48 hours of final payment.

Some folks are using the other strategy which is to search for price drops after final payment and make a last minute decision to cruise. This whole game is easier if you can get to the port without flying.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense to me.

I found a 5 day on RCI from Baltimore to Bermuda for $778 in September. I think that's pretty good (a little more than $150/day and I can easily get to Baltimore from another major mid-Atlantic city thus not needing a hotel pre- and post-cruise). The only thing is that I don't know for sure what dates I will get off next year so I'm taking a small gamble by purchasing it but I don't think I will get a better rate for Bermuda.

I don't think you're taking much of a gamble at all - you're only going to lose some paltry potential interest on your deposit if you can't take the cruise. The potential upside gain is huge - a reasonable cruise to Bermuda. You are still eligible for any price drops between now and final payment. It's a total win-win situation.

I don't think you're taking much of a gamble at all - you're only going to lose some paltry potential interest on your deposit if you can't take the cruise. The potential upside gain is huge - a reasonable cruise to Bermuda. You are still eligible for any price drops between now and final payment. It's a total win-win situation.

Thanks!

You have to be creative in what you are looking for. Also in what you want in Bermuda. I visited Bermuda in October On Celebrity Summit, on her repositioning cruise from NYC (Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ) to San Juan. I booked when I saw a military rate (resident rates were identical) of $499 for an inside (6 day cruise). Then there was a price drop after final payment and I moved to an OV for $50 less than my inside (but no OBC for the difference). The downside is that in late October tourist season is mostly over, and it can be a bit chilly to do the beaches. EM

Why is it so pricey to cruise to Bermuda in general? Also, is it possible to find something for under $1000 :( More like in the $500-600 range? I'm ready to cruise again and want to do something other than the Bahamas. . .

There is going to be a drydock for one of the ship that does the Boston to Bermuda cruise in 2011 (NCL Dawn)....as a result of that drydock there are less available trips to Bermuda for the 2011 season as the first run from Boston to Bermuda is June.

There are no Bermuda itineraries from NY or Boston in April. Also Celebrity is bringing up its Bermuda ship (the Summit) later than last season it arrives on May 16, 2011.....those conditions have combined to create no cruises from NY or Boston in April and no cruises from Boston in May. Maybe 6,000 passengers that could have traveled in two weeks of April and 8,000 that could have traveled out of Boston during the entire month of May when there is no NCL ship to do the route....so no shoulder season for Bermuda makes the prices spike........

Last year I did the Summit solo in an inside category 9 for about $900.00 with port fees.....not sure if you will find anything that good in a year like this.......

Archived