Ear Plugs for Lots of Snorkeling

BridgeMates

Need a little advice here....

We're going to Tahiti and the French Polynesian islands later this month and have many snorkeling tours lined up.

I have never used earplugs before, but have never planned to be in the water as much as we intend to be on this coming trip.

Can anyone recommend some good earplugs for snorkeling (not diving)....something that won't drop out easily???

Our local outdoor shop has ear plugs for sale in the snorkeling/diving department, but we have use the generic foam ones that you can get at Wal-Mart sometimes sold in the sporting goods department. Use once and throw away...they come in a package with several sets. You squish them down, place them in yoru ear and they expand to fill the space. More comfortable to me than the plastic screw looking plugs they sell just for swimming, diving. May want to try a pair in yoru tub or pool to see if they block the water adequately for you.

Tahiti and Frnch Polynesia sound wonderful...on my bucket list!!

Doc's Propugs are earplugs that a diver can use--that is, the pressure changes can be equalized if diving down. Your local scuba diving shop may have them.

Interesting.... I called two scuba shops. One has them for $30/pair and the other won't sell them. Says they're too dangerous. Something about equalizing the pressure....

We probably won't have any trouble. We've snorkeled several times in the Carib, but not so many consecutive days as planned on this trip. Rarely dive down even a few feet. Am taking Swimmer's Ear to try & get the water out every day.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm sorry, early diving trainng drove into my head that ear plugs and water are simply a bad bad idea. 1 foot beneath the surface and you can drive the thing into your ear canal.

If the problem is getting the water out of an ear after swimming. All you need is rubbing alcohol and a small squeeze bottle. Tip the ear up, shoot in a little alc and it bonds with the water and typically evaporates quickly, or tip the other way and let it drain. I've never needed to squirt more than 3 times. Check the swimmer's ear solutions .... that's all they are, a little acl' solution.

(I did try bourbon once and it seemed to work almost as good . . . just kidding)

Diving for 35+, first certified by PADI Instructor #6 a long time ago

I'm sorry, early diving trainng drove into my head that ear plugs and water are simply a bad bad idea. 1 foot beneath the surface and you can drive the thing into your ear canal.

Agreed! It's never a good idea to put earplugs in if you're planning on dipping beneath the surface, even just once.

If you stay on the surface only, then I would recommend using the wax ear plugs bought at the pharmacy. You mold the wax to fit your exact ear shape.

If the problem is getting the water out of an ear after swimming. All you need is rubbing alcohol and a small squeeze bottle. Tip the ear up, shoot in a little alc and it bonds with the water and typically evaporates quickly, or tip the other way and let it drain. I've never needed to squirt more than 3 times. Check the swimmer's ear solutions .... that's all they are, a little acl' solution.

(I did try bourbon once and it seemed to work almost as good . . . just kidding)

Diving for 35+, first certified by PADI Instructor #6 a long time ago

Super Rum (160 proof) should do the trick!

You could definitely count on N. Carolina moonshine.:p

Archived