Opinions on hotels

IslandSliderGirl

Can anyone tell me if they have stayed at either La Quinta Inn East or the Howard Johnson Plaza hotel in Miami. Our cruise group is looking for a CLEAN and economical hotel, doesn't have to be anything fancy. Opinions would be appreciated if you have first hand knowledge of either hotel. Thanks!!

We stayed at Intercontenential by Bayside and within view of the port for $84 thru lastminute. There is a whole thread about it on the Florida depature board. I was there twice in the last week, thru a similar thread here on CC. It was clean. What price range and for when?? Winter prices go up. If you found a great deal go for it.

Here is the thread from the Fl board, lots of talk about this hotel, but also how to tell which hotel it is.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1230783&highlight=intercontinental

Thats going to be a very expensive time of year to stay, Id be booking soon. Thats high season when the snow birds will also be coming down.

We have had a lot of good luck with La Quinta since they redid their rooms. The beds are really good for the price. Have only had issues with one on the north side of Milwaukee that was not cleaned well and that is obviously the maids fault. Go on the actual hotel's site and look at the pictures . . . that should tell you all you need to know. Have a blast!

The Intercontinenal is a great hotel.......only drawback is they don't have balconies:(

We had to lean to see the ocean the last night. The first night we could see it a little better. They wanted $20 to upgrade to a room with a ocean facing view and we turned it down.

I think my friend was wishing we were at the Holiday Inn. Some taxi driver told her it was only $59, but I think he must have said $159. It has a shuttle and laundry and breakfast for the money and was close too.

We had to lean to see the ocean the last night. The first night we could see it a little better. They wanted $20 to upgrade to a room with a ocean facing view and we turned it down.

I think my friend was wishing we were at the Holiday Inn. Some taxi driver told her it was only $59, but I think he must have said $159. It has a shuttle and laundry and breakfast for the money and was close too.

I think the Holiday Inn is a hole:D The Hyatt is much nicer and you can take the tram to over-rated (IMO) Bayside. A couple months ago we stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay which was really nice. It is connected to a little shopping mall that connects to the hotel next door. So we didn't even have to go outside to find a place to eat. They had a nice sports bar with a patio right on the bay, an upscale chinese restaurant and cheaper sandwich places. They even had a little store to purchase beer and sodas at very reasonable prices....and the hotel room had balonies:D And we asked for bayview and we got it at no additonal charge. But sounds like you got a great price for the Intercontental.....and made the right choice IMO.

They do have excellent service there.

Here is a link to the Marriott Biscayne Bay if the op is interested.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/miabb-miami-marriott-biscayne-bay/

My friend had the reservation the first night in her name but said she took care of putting my name on it. Not so fast said Intercontinental who stated as a fact no one had ever touched the booking. I gave my suitcase to the porters, went to Bayside and wound up at Hooters, sitting right there watching the ocean and the tourist boats coming in. It was the $5.99 wing night, I guess Wednesday the first date we checked in. So, I relaxed and ate and had a good book with a ocean view and a nice breeze and had to wait about 3 hours for my friend. Intercontinental said they wouldnt even let her call it in, because it might not be her ... for my own safety you understand. lol. Its good it didnt matter. I wasnt overly impressed with their service after that.

Archived