Ncl sky question

KevinsCruising

Hi, We will be in Florida next weekend and was suppose to fly back on Monday the 15th. I see that the Sky is cruising on the 15th for a 4 night Bahamas cruise. I never thought I would do a 5 night cruise, thinking it would be more of a tease but because the dates are working out, I am considering it.

I have sailed on the Dawn, Gem and Jewel before, the Gem being my favorite. Has anyone sailed on the Sky that can compare it to the other ships I have sailed? Any comments on the Sky would be appreciated.

Thanks you

The Sky is a totally different class of ship than the Dawn and Jewel. The Sky is a bit smaller and different design. The Sky is the oldest NCL ship sailing but the youngest cruise ship that sails the Bahamas. The Sky is 11 years old and has been refurnished twice. It has the busiest schedule ever with 2 full cruises every week. I did the 4 night and loved it. It is for the very active traveler waking up in a different port 5 days in a row. There are no sea days. You get to see 3 islands. The best part of the Sky is the affordability. You can grab a penthouse for alot less than other ships. There is no courtyard but you still get all the perks.

You cant compare the Sky to the Jewel. It would be unfair to do so. If you are looking for a modern ship with Vegas style entertainment with sea days, the Sky may not be for you. But if you are looking to really explore the Bahamas on a classic and great cruise ship, the Sky may be for you.

Hi,

If you can get it really cheap, you might love it. We used some old vouchers (remember the NCL cruise card?) and so didn't get it for a low price, but HAD to use the vouchers before the deadline and went with the 4 night Bahamas cruise. We had sailed on three other NCL ships and it was our least favorite experience. The ship was in very good condition, the room was fine, the staff were polite and efficient but the food and shows were well below other experiences. Even the specialty restaurants were not that exceptional and it burned me that one of the main dining rooms served Coc Avin (SP?) the next night and I paid extra for it the night before.

The ship appears to be more of a local getaway than for people like me from outside of Florida and I wonder if NCL just doesn't try that hard.

I loved the private island. The Bahamas is just lovely poverty. I have a hard time seeing beyond the poor islanders' lives.

Connie

Hi,

If you can get it really cheap, you might love it. We used some old vouchers (remember the NCL cruise card?) and so didn't get it for a low price, but HAD to use the vouchers before the deadline and went with the 4 night Bahamas cruise. We had sailed on three other NCL ships and it was our least favorite experience. The ship was in very good condition, the room was fine, the staff were polite and efficient but the food and shows were well below other experiences. Even the specialty restaurants were not that exceptional and it burned me that one of the main dining rooms served Coc Avin (SP?) the next night and I paid extra for it the night before.

The ship appears to be more of a local getaway than for people like me from outside of Florida and I wonder if NCL just doesn't try that hard.

I loved the private island. The Bahamas is just lovely poverty. I have a hard time seeing beyond the poor islanders' lives.

Connie

Connie

The Bahamas is more than downtown Nassau. Freeport is mostly middle class and upper class people. Only 9% of Bahamians live in poverty which is extremely low to most other islands. The United States is one of the richest countries and 12% live in poverty. If poverty over 20% was the cruise standard, ships would not be going to any western or eastern carribean ports except the Bahamas.

I have taken tours all over the Bahamas and not seen what you saw.

But we can agree that the private island is wonderful.

Here is the world poverty rate. The Bahamas are ranked at the bottom of the world.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?c=bf&v=69

Archived