Comfort Inn - Sterling Rd

4FRCruising

Thinking I remember that Sterling Road is a good location....but how is Comfort Inn? Any recent stays.

Don't need a Taj Mahal...just safe, clean place to sleep hopefully with a good restaurant and a place to buy Wine & Soda close enough to walk to.

This will be for 9/23/11.

TIA for your replies & info

To all who will be staying there. Could you let us know if there is anywhere nearby(within walking distance) to pick up some pop, mixers(sweet/sour mix), etc.

I know there is a K-Mart right across the street, but don't know if they sell this sort of thing.

I just stayed at the Hampton Inn which is right next door to the Comfort Inn. The Comfort Inn is more of a motel style setting and frankly, from the Hampton Inn, it looked a little worn to me.

There is a K-Mart which carried pop and wine. I wouldn't say it is right across the street - more like a busy highway - and a pretty good walk from the hotel. There is a Taco Bell and McDonald's next to the Comfort Inn.

We stayed there before a cruise in 1999. Obviously, I have no idea what the hotel is like now, but we loved the location. It's right next door to the Oakwood Shopping Centre. Check the back of the parking lot at the hotel to see if there is still a pedestrian walkway into the shopping centre parking lot. If so, the Kmart is an easy walk. Oakwood Blvd is a busy 4 lane street, so be careful, but there are crosswalks there. Also, across the street from McDonalds is an On The Run store at the gas station so you might find some of your beverage requirements there (I can't remember what they are allowed to sell in convenience stores in Florida, but I seem to recall beer so wine might also be available).

We stayed there before a cruise in 1999. Obviously, I have no idea what the hotel is like now, but we loved the location. It's right next door to the Oakwood Shopping Centre. Check the back of the parking lot at the hotel to see if there is still a pedestrian walkway into the shopping centre parking lot. If so, the Kmart is an easy walk. Oakwood Blvd is a busy 4 lane street, so be careful, but there are crosswalks there. Also, across the street from McDonalds is an On The Run store at the gas station so you might find some of your beverage requirements there (I can't remember what they are allowed to sell in convenience stores in Florida, but I seem to recall beer so wine might also be available).

Thanks Dan, that was my understanding from talking to some people that the K-Mart was relatively close and there was a strip/shopping center nearby.

We stayed there 2 years ago and honestly it is very worn down and I would not stay there again. The free breakfast was the basic fair from looking at it but there were so many people we decided to walk down to McD's and eat. The KMart and strip mall were a short walk but I would not have felt comfortable walking a night, during the day it seemed fine. The Taco Bell was disgusting. But I suppose for 1 night it would be ok, I personally would choose somewhere else. They do have a free shuttle from airport then to the port, then after the cruise back to airport again, that was really nice!

We are getting at 9pm and just need somewhere to sleep. Will be going to the K-Mart, etc. in the morning so I am assuming it will work for our needs. We don't need anything fancy at all and it isn't costing us anything as we are redeeming some cc points.

Thanks for the input though.

Out of curiousity, why did you ask for opinions if you don't care about them?

I would never stay there. The motel needs to be bulldozed and rebuilt.

We are getting at 9pm and just need somewhere to sleep. Will be going to the K-Mart, etc. in the morning so I am assuming it will work for our needs. We don't need anything fancy at all and it isn't costing us anything as we are redeeming some cc points.

Thanks for the input though.

In your situation with it being "free" and with the late night and early start I would do it too. My husband suggested staying there again for our Dec.'10 cruise and I said no way, but we have an early flight down there and won't be in a hurry to get to the ship the next morning so we are staying at a place on the beach. Whatever you decide it can't be that bad as you are still on vacation:)

Out of curiousity, why did you ask for opinions if you don't care about them?

I would never stay there. The motel needs to be bulldozed and rebuilt.

Really? Where did I say I didn't care about them. I told of our situation and thanked cruisin' 4 fun for the input. What about that do you not understand?

In your situation with it being "free" and with the late night and early start I would do it too. My husband suggested staying there again for our Dec.'10 cruise and I said no way' date=' but we have an early flight down there and won't be in a hurry to get to the ship the next morning so we are staying at a place on the beach. Whatever you decide it can't be that bad as you are still on vacation:)[/quote']

I agree fully. If we had more time I would definitely be looking for a beach property. Have a great trip.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't reccommend it. First of all, the transfer from the airport to the hotel was awful. We picked up our luggage and had to call 3 times before they picked us up at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale. Our flight arrived at around 5:30 and we didn't get to the Comfort Inn until 8 pm. The next day we stood in the hot sun until almost 1 and watched all the other passengers going to the other ships get transfered until finally they sent a small van and about 8 or us were crammed in it amd delivered to the Celebrity Constellation. It's not a good way to get started on a cruise. The hotel supposedly caters to cruise passengers and from what we could see about 90% of the guests were cruising.

Also, it isn't in a great location. There was a McDonalds close by which we got to by walking through parking lots. The street out front is a very busy highway.

The hotel is actually in a pretty good location, although I suspect you got there too late for it to matter to you. A lot of people like to be in an area where they can shop, and with Oakwood right next door, the location for that can't be beat. There are also a few restuarants along Oakwood as well.

It's a shame that the reviews for this hotel have gone downhill over the years as you generally know what to expect at a Comfort Inn, and this location doesn't seem to be holding up. It's also a surprise that they have shuttle issues as they have been a popular pre-cruise hotel at least as far back as when we stayed there 11 years ago. Even La Quinta, at the south end of Oakwood, had 2 shuttle vans with trailers running their cruise shuttles. Maybe Comfort Inn is being squeezed on rates by the newer hotels across the road and can't afford to keep up with the shuttles.

We just stayed here on 12/3. We had no issues with the airport shuttle. The bus was there within 15 minutes of calling. Check in was very busy as there were around 10 people in line ahead of us. The shuttle from the airport was full so you have to expect lines when you get there. The rooms were average. Nothing fancy, but they were clean. The pool area looked nice with a BBQ grill selling burgers, dogs and chicken. We didn't eat there but it looked ok and the prices were reasonable. We walked next door to the plaza and went to the diner. Food was very good. We stopped at Kmart on the way back to the hotel for last minute supplies. We did get 2 free drinks at the Tiki bar as part of the snooze and cruise package. We had to ask about it at check in in order to get the tickets. The drinks were done with well brands, but they were strong. The breakfast selection was good. THey had cereal, fruit, danish, hard boiled eggs, bagels and toast. There were also 2 waffle makers for self service.We had arranged a private shuttle down to Miami, but it did appear that their shuttle service was well organized. It got crowded in the lobby as people who were signed up for the 11:30 shuttle were in the lobby with their luggage at 10. Overall I would stay there again if the price was right.

Archived