High Seas?

It makes it BETTER! I am one of those who loves rough seas. The bigger the waves, the better the cruise!!! :)
Count me in to this group, too. Fun, fun fun! It's not a proper cruise without some rough weather. Otherwise, you might just as well have stayed ashore - what's the point of being at sea unless it moves you? :D

Makes aerobics and step "interesting", though ...

I DO NOT like rough seas. We sailed in seas that were up to 25 ft swells and it was not comfortable. I almost rolled out of bed a couple of times and many folks were bouncing off the walls (literally). My wife got terribly seasick. In the theatre, in the front of the ship, we could hear the big waves hitting the hull. I much prefer calm waters.

we were in 11 - 17 ft seas for about 3 of 7 days.... on my NCL Dawn cruise... I have to say... only one night, when they reached 25 ft... did it really bother me...

Does it effect the experience... no... not IMO...

Keep in mind...a cruise is what you make of it... if you go on a cruise, you have to expect that there is a change that you'll hit some waves...

We had 15 foot waves our first time to Bermuda. It really would not have been so bad but the ship was very small and only held 800 passengers and I dont think it had the same stabilizers the bigger modern ships have. We were being tossed all over the place and we saw some waves come over the front of the ship that were pretty bad.

1)Barf bags are available in dispensers at each stairwell

2)They strap down all the lounge chairs on the upper pool deck and you can't sit up there

3)If it's really bad, they lock the doors and you can't go outside at all

4)The unicyclist in the theatre has a heck of a time getting around the stage

5)It's fun!!!!

(all the above happened to us last spring)

I just love a nice storm on a cruise. We had one on our first cruise (the Holiday) and we were standing by the pool watching the horizon come and go and come and go. AND one of the stabilizers was broken. It was quite exciting. Thank goodness I don't get seasick. There were people making deposits in those bags all over the place. We did find it an interesting challenge to navigate, especially after a few drinks.

Several years ago (and my first cruise) on NCL we were at sea with Hurricane Marco. The first 2 days the seas were so rough that more than half the ship was seasick...including crew members. All external doors were locked. Bottles, etc. were falling off the shelves in the bathroom. The ship doc. and nurses were going cabin to cabin giving out the "shot". I, unfortunately, was one who received it....right in the hip...ouch!!!! Needless to say, being my first cruise, I thought what the heck do people see in cruising. I was prepared to fly home from the first port we made it into. However, the weather calmed down (and so did I) and I enjoyed the rest of the week. I hope I never have another cruise that bad again!!! Leaving in 4 weeks on Splendour!!!

We did some rockin' and rollin' on a cruise to Alaska. It was an older, smaller ship. We had to provide a wave block for a fishing vessel in distress until the helicopters could rescue them. Consequently, we were taking the waves broadside. It was really quite exciting. If you stood in the middle of the ship; you could look one way and see just sky...and the other way and see just water...then vice versa.

We had no problems. Take Bonine, hold a firm hand on the rail, keep food in your stomach, have a sense of adventure, and you will have a wonderful time.

By the way, I always sleep like a baby on a ship.

Count me in to this group, too. Fun, fun fun! It's not a proper cruise without some rough weather. Otherwise, you might just as well have stayed ashore - what's the point of being at sea unless it moves you? :D

Us too...I thought we were the only ones who wanted rough seas! :eek:

Every cruise we've taken has been so smooth that we have been disappointed that there were no big waves! ;)

Last spring on Voyager, we had 18-20 foot seas for 2and 1l2 days. Our cabin was way forward and you could really feel the bow of the ship banging down into the swells. All the shows in the theatre were punctuated by an occasional BANG!!! It did not seem to bother too many people, though. I will say I was getting anxious by the second day for the sea to calm down, which it did once we rounded Jamaica. The wind was so strong on deck that you could hardly walk.

I like movement when I am on a cruise ship. Then I know I am "at sea". But I was glad when we entered calmer seas on this cruise!

Archived