Carnival's Paradise vs RCCL's Monarch

OC Mom

We are looking at booking a short little 4 day cruise (Winter 2005/2006) to take our two boys on (will be ages 5 and 8)-their first cruise. The prices for the Paradise and Monarch are very close. I know RCCL will allow us to get 2 connecting rooms for a few buck more, but don't know how Carnival works that. We have also heard/read that RCCL's kids program is better than Carnival's. Any thoughts? Thanks:)

Haven't cruised on either ship. I did take the 4 day last year on the Ecstasy. I disagree about the kids program. I think Carnival is much better. I have been on the 7 day to Mexico many times with Carnival and 1 time on RCCL. The ships were all great. The food on Carnival, in my opinion, is much better than RCCL. The pizza on RCCL was awful, Carnival's great. They don't have the many stations on RCCL in the alternate dining room like on Carnival. They have made to order omelettes and deli stations on Carnival, even on the older ships, not so on RCCL. If the prices are close, I would definitely choose Carnival. I have heard the Paradise is a nice ship. The Monarch is very old and run down from what I have heard.

Candi

I was in this same situation when deciding which cruise to book a few weeks ago. We decided to go with Carnival Paradise over RC Monarch. Reason being is the many reviews and comments I read were pretty much in agreement that for these two particular boats, Carnival has a better kids program, bigger rooms, better food, and better entertainment. We will be cruising with our 2 young boys so all that was very important to us. So, we are now all set up and just waiting for our cruise! Good luck deciding.

Thanks for the input! :) I talked with my TA and finally got her to pony up some details ;) . She described Monarch as older and run down, not as good of a kids program, and not the best itinery (as they have no "at sea" days). I also read a bunch of reviews and the Monarch didn't fare so well. My TA also thinks the Paradise is in better shape due to the years of being a smoke-free ship. I cruised on the Ecstasy last year, but it's been moved to Texas. I am now leaning much more towards Carnival Paradise, of course ;) .

We have sailed and sold both ships and much prefer the Paradise over the Monarch. Traveling with children I would definitely select the Paradise. The ship is beautiful and the food and cabins are much better. Royal Caribbeab spent millions of dollars on the Monarch before they brought her to Los Angeles, but the cabins, food and service leave alot to be desired.

You made the right choice if you chose the Paradise.

Archived