Veendam or Westerdam - Thanksgiving week

Peggy Sue

We've decided to leave the cooking and dishes to someone else this year and take a cruise Thanksgiving week. :p

The Veendam leaves 11/20 from Tampa and the Westerdam leaves from Ft. Lauderdale. (I think 11/20..but maybe it was 11/19)

For those of you who've sailed this week .... is it a zoo? :confused: are there a lot of kids on board? I know christmas week is normally one to be avoided..is the same true for thanksgiving week?

Veendam .. I noticed on the deck plan that the neptune lounge doesn't appear to have a door on the port side ... is this true?? I just found it interesting when checking out availablity all the port side rooms appear to be available ...but not the starboard ..

If you've had the opportunity sail the Veendam and the Westerdam did you enjoy one more than the other?

Our HAL experiences have been with the Zuiderdam and Volendam. We like both ships .. but we did find the Zuiderdam to be more "alive".

Thank you!:rolleyes:

Peggy Sue

We've done Thanksgiving. I personally enjoy it even if some of the staff seem confused as to what "Happy Thanksgiving" means. Since we don't have kids, I can quite easily ignore everyone else's. I'm sure our Carnival cruise had a number of them but I didn't pay any attention. My big comment to you is what day do you fly home???? If you're flying home the Sunday after Tday, be prepared for miles of people at the airports and possible delays. Our last holiday cruise we flew home Jan. 2 and by the skin of our teeth were "allowed" to board another flight after ours was cancelled. Silly me. I thought people would fly home on Jan. 1!! Since Tday is the worst holiday to go/come back re airports, I just thought I'd mention it (Our previous Thanksgiving cruises didn't arrive back on Sunday).

scopewest - thanks for the flight tip. We've traveled this week before and have witnessed the crowds first hand ... not enjoyable! Our plans take us to Orlando post cruise for an additional week before flying back to Boston...

Thanks!

Peggy - gonna take your Groucho glasses? *S*

If it were me, I think I would consider doing the land based portion the week of Thanksgiving and then go on the cruise the week after Thanksgiving. I just can't imagine the number of kids that will be on the ship the week of Thanksgiving.. *ughhhh*

While Orlando will still be busy with families Thanksgiving week, I would think you could minimize the impact by your choice of where you stay in Orlando and seems like you could also avoid the hordes of kids better on land than at sea. Spose that depends on whether your plans include Disney World.

Either way, have a great trip.. but for me the thought of 3-400 kids on board makes me want to slit my wrists.

Our first cruise with HAL was on Veendam in 2000 and was probably the best trip we have had with HAL. Haven't been on Westerdam

• 3 weeks later...

Peggy Sue,

Hello,

We Are Booked On The Westerdam Nov. 20th, Out Of Ft.laud. Good Friends Of Ours Do A Thanksgiving Cruise Every Other Year, And Say Its Not Full Of Kids. At Least Not On The Hal Ships. Most Are Over On The Rci & Ncl & Carnival Lines.

If You Have Not Made A Choice Yet, Come Join Us On The Westerdam.

By The Way, There Is A Friend Here In Naples That Came From Beverly, Ma. His Name Is John Di Ianni. We Worked Together For 6yrs. Thought You Just Might Know The Family. His Mom & Dad Are Still Up There.

See Ya

Curt & Val

Archived