Galveston vs. Port Canaveral

Brandonlees

What added transportation costs? I flew non-stop LAX to Bush. I traveled south to the hotel and the next day traveled further south to the port. I was not charged more simply because I split the trip into two.

I think what ssb is saying is that instead of just traveling directly to Galveston you spent $70 on a taxi to take you to the Galleria area, which is a bit out of the way if you are going to Galveston. You could have gotten transportation from IAH directly to Galveston for $150.

I think what ssb is saying is that instead of just traveling directly to Galveston you spent $70 on a taxi to take you to the Galleria area, which is a bit out of the way if you are going to Galveston. You could have gotten transportation from IAH directly to Galveston for $150.

Yes, I did under estimate the cost of a taxi from the airport to the hotel. :o

Yes, I did under estimate the cost of a taxi from the airport to the hotel. :o

Well, if you were going to stay in Houston the Galleria area is one of my favs! Of course I usually have a shopping agenda and there is a LOT of good shopping there...but there are also several good restaurants in the area as well. :)

All of you that are pro-Galveston and cruise lines should contact all the car rental agencies and voice your opinion regarding the lack of facilities in Galveston, including Enterprise corporate. I believe the office here is a franchise, so the owner controls the business hours.

I have never understood how they all ignore Galveston, both as a port and vacation destination.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease - so let's see if we all can make a dfference.

I for one will write to the car rental agency and see what we can do. We have over 50 couples alone coming in . Most are renting cars. I will let everyone know what we find out. Enterprise is the only one I see.

I just wanted to let you know I wrote to Enterprise and concerned my opinion. I will let you know what happens.

I just saw 3 bad reviews on Elegance Limo which is really a junky old ford van. He arrived almost 2 hours late. The guy wouldn't even pick up people's luggage. If he didn't pick up my luggage, I sure as hell am not giving him a good tip. I don't understand. OUt of all my cruises, never have I had someone not pick up the luggage. Where the hell is Customer Service. ?

To that guy who has a nice van, charge a $100.00 a couple from Hobby to Galveston to hotel. If you get 2 couples twice you could clear $400.00 a day. Doesn't sound like anyone gives a damn about shuttles or car rentals.

We all make mistakes. My brother said to me today, this is what you get for letting me pick this cruise. Last 2 were from Orlando and Ft Lauderdale. More problems with this one cruise than in my last dozen.

Anyone else have any suggetions on shuttles. Saw Destiny Limo was good.

I just wanted to let you know I wrote to Enterprise and concerned my opinion. I will let you know what happens.

I just saw 3 bad reviews on Elegance Limo which is really a junky old ford van. He arrived almost 2 hours late. The guy wouldn't even pick up people's luggage. If he didn't pick up my luggage, I sure as hell am not giving him a good tip. I don't understand. OUt of all my cruises, never have I had someone not pick up the luggage. Where the hell is Customer Service. ?

To that guy who has a nice van, charge a $100.00 a couple from Hobby to Galveston to hotel. If you get 2 couples twice you could clear $400.00 a day. Doesn't sound like anyone gives a damn about shuttles or car rentals.

We all make mistakes. My brother said to me today, this is what you get for letting me pick this cruise. Last 2 were from Orlando and Ft Lauderdale. More problems with this one cruise than in my last dozen.

Anyone else have any suggetions on shuttles. Saw Destiny Limo was good.

Glad you wrote to Enterprise. Try the Super Shuttle. You can find them on the web http://www.supershuttle.com. We live close to the Port, but I know several people are booking them. Others have also had good luck with Galveston Limo.

To the OP (if he is still reading this thread) -- Try the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans in summer, 2012. New Orleans is an inexpensive cab ride between airport and cruise port. And yes, the Conquest has pool slides. Some sailings go to Key West and the Bahamas; most go to Montego Bay Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel Mexico.

Galveston is great if driving (as I do). We had a 10 person group last time and we used a charted SuperShuttle to get between Houston and Galveston, but it was still $19 each way per person. A family of 4 into Houston and shuttling to Galveston is tricky -- too expensive to use single shuttle fares, too few to charter to get a good price.

You might try the Royal Caribbean Oais or Allure of the Seas from Ft. Lauderdale Florida.

Well, I tried to correct and add to my previous post, but the web site is slow today and would not let me update. Anyhow, I meant to say: Try the Oasis of the Seas or Allure of the Seas from Ft. Lauderdale -- a very easy taxi ride between airport and cruise port. These ships don't have pool slides, but do have an ice rink, carousel, zip line, flowrider -- lots of neat stuff. And the kids area -- Adventure Ocean -- is very highly rated on Royal Caribbean.

• 2 weeks later...

We have many Canadians and Europeans that come to Galveston to visit and to cruise. There are affordable options to get to the island from IAH, please don't let the others discourage you.

No one complains about the the cost from Rome to the port in Civitevecchia which can cost up to $150/person.

I agree that some ports in Florida are easier to reach, but we are a barrier island off the coast of Texas. This has not prevented thousands from sailing out of Galveston.

To the OP (if he is still reading this thread) -- Try the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans in summer, 2012. New Orleans is an inexpensive cab ride between airport and cruise port. And yes, the Conquest has pool slides. Some sailings go to Key West and the Bahamas; most go to Montego Bay Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel Mexico.

Galveston is great if driving (as I do). We had a 10 person group last time and we used a charted SuperShuttle to get between Houston and Galveston, but it was still $19 each way per person. A family of 4 into Houston and shuttling to Galveston is tricky -- too expensive to use single shuttle fares, too few to charter to get a good price.

You might try the Royal Caribbean Oais or Allure of the Seas from Ft. Lauderdale Florida.

I think I've said this before, but, again $19 p/p is dirt cheap to get from the airport to the port!!! Port Everglades is a stone's throw from FLL/Hollywood airport and it still costs us $12 p/p to ride a shuttle to the Port!!!! Plan ahead and talk to your Travel Agent. Let your TA work on finding you some affordable transportation. So far, from what I've seen on here, the Super Shuttle appears to be the cheapest form of transport!

Archived