Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

I would definitely be in the pop tart line!;) It's not like they are on Survivor...having to eat bugs and such....sure...conditions are unpleasant...but i don't think it is scary....

I'm sure most are in the pop tart line......do they have a choice:confused:

I'm sure if they were eating bugs it would be ok too:rolleyes: Afterall some 3rd world countries may not have those type of bugs......we should be so lucky......

Considering how both the USCG, US Navy and Mexico Navy arrived on the scene what i think was a pretty decent amount of time, i dont think it was all of that scary. It could be alot worse such as being dead in the water for days before you see help coming your way.

That part is fine, but to be routed out of bed at 6AM due to a fire on board (Historically the worst news posible) with no electricity or lights and smoke in the corridor would not help most folks blood pressure!

Now, with the Navy and all, it's just miserable. Still not my idea of a vacation.

No I was not joking. Sorry for posting.

OK. Lifeboats are to save lives in the event of imminent potential loss of the ship or for use as short run tender vessels while in port not for making 100 mile runs as a ferry vessel would. While the passengers and crew are inconvenienced they are not in any danger (except for possible some bad gas from the spam sandwiches!!).

Did you guys actually see the video about the guy who called the station said "You stand in line for two hours just to get your food because everybody goes to the same place to pick up their food..." This is not different than any other cruise that when one person gets in line, everyone else does. They are not going to run out of food, no one is starving and they could wait until the line dies down to get their food.

Ok. Sorry for posting. It was just a thought. I knew it was a "weird" question, but I thought it at least made sense. opps.

It wasn't a stupid question, but just think about it to see the answer: If you had the choice between staying on a giant cruise ship that was safe and seaworthy but without power, or getting in a tiny little boat/raft with 50 other people to float around the middle of the pacific ocean, which would you do?

Life boats are never "ruled out", but they are an absolute last resort-- the goal and idea is always to stay on the vessel itself until fire or sinking make it absolutely necessary to evacuate. Even drifting, the Splendor is a heck of a lot safer and more comfortable than a liferaft.

You guys are hard core on CC. I guess its best to just read and not make comments on here. I was really just curious about the life boats. I could have easily been told "there was no need, since its not an emergency, or something like that." dang....

That part is fine, but to be routed out of bed at 6AM due to a fire on board (Historically the worst news posible) with no electricity or lights and smoke in the corridor would not help most folks blood pressure!

Now, with the Navy and all, it's just miserable. Still not my idea of a vacation.

What is scary is being unable to control, manuevere or move 100,000 pounds of steel floating on the water. The tug boats and military ships may be able to guide but not really control....again the blessing in all of this is the weather because trust me if it was bad - this would be a devasting situation.... thats what is most scary to me....

Are you sure you posted the right link?

"Many of the people I have talked to said that they will never take another cruise again, especially with Carnival," Zambrano said.

Lines two hours long to get Spam, pop tarts, and fake crab meat. Inside cabins totally dark with no A/C. Doesn't sound like fun to me. Vacation from hell.

Credit that to selective reading. It's one thing to say people are coping and I give them credit for that. It's another thing to say that everything is one big party on board.

I see two reports of such. A brief cell phone call and a text message. As a retired Federal Communications Officer, I am thinking that could be the aircraft carrier put up a cell phone tower rig and the ship's satellite relays the signals? But if so, why not more reports from passengers? It could be an atmospheric skip that happens at times where you can reach out for a few minutes way beyond normal range of the transmitting unit and also receive contact back.. Weird conditions also happen at sundown and sunup also. :confused:

Interesting..

I agree...I don't know how the response could have been much better. They are getting supplies from the US military (via our tax dollars) and a foreign country's military! If Carnival had to hire private contractors to airlift supplies to the Splendor I'm sure the response time would have been a lot slower.

The Reagan was on a training exersize. What better way to train than to help people on a helpless ship. I think this was better use of the money than planned. :)

Kind of ironic that when you are on a cruise, one of the few TV stations you get is 9News in Denver, that's the only time I've watched that station, I thought the anchor on the video looked familiar.

Then, one of their employees is onboard the ship and the first to get cell service back to report on conditions on the ship.

We were on a cruise once and there were Blizzard warnings scrolling on the bottom of the tv...we were like WTH until we found out the station was from Denver...lol!

Frankly I am floored at the number of posts from people who would have loved to have been on this cruise just so they could get a free trip out of it. Short of injury, death and or sinking, a ship being dead in the water is one of the most dangerous situations you can be in. And this doesn't even take into consideration the "living" situation. I cannot imagine how families are dealing with kids are handling the situation.

These passengers will have a story to tell for sure. But getting them on safe ground again is the most important thing at this point. They still have several hours to safety.....

Hubby and I would sooo love to be on this ship.

NOT for the free cruise...for the SAFE adventure.

Btw....real inconvenience is living for TWO WEEKS in your home with no lights or water etc after a major hurricane in AUGUST and having to stay because the company you work for owns an insurance company and people are calling to file claims...so you HAVE to be there.

(in a building with NO windows that open ... did I mention in AUGUST)

There was no electricity..so we had to file all the claims by hand...

we had phone service but with no electricity...the phones would not ring...we had to just keep punching the different lines saying "hello"....

A few days without fancy food and hot water....a walk in the park !!!

Can you imagine what this is going to cost Carnival and the tax payers? Those nuclear subs and aircraft carriers are not $1/hour!

Katherine

Meh. It's why they exist.. serve U.S. and It's citizens.

The Ronald Reagan was already on training maneuvers... think of this as a still valuable training exercise... :)

Did you guys actually see the video about the guy who called the station said "You stand in line for two hours just to get your food because everybody goes to the same place to pick up their food..." This is not different than any other cruise that when one person gets in line, everyone else does. They are not going to run out of food, no one is starving and they could wait until the line dies down to get their food.

On a normal cruise you have different dining times in order to feed everyone on a timely basis.......this is basically a free for all;)

I see two reports of such. A brief cell phone call and a text message. As a retired Federal Communications Officer, I am thinking that could be the aircraft carrier put up a cell phone tower rig and the ship's satellite relays the signals? But if so, why not more reports from passengers? It could be an atmospheric skip that happens at times where you can reach out for a few minutes way beyond normal range of the transmitting unit and also receive contact back.. Weird conditions also happen at sundown and sunup also. :confused:

Interesting..

It could be that after 2.5 days without electricity people's cell phone batteries are dead with no way to recharge them.

Normally I do not like the way CCL handles anything out of the ordinary from first hand experience. In this case however I think they are doing everything possible to get folks back to port with more than adequate compensation for their inconvenience.

I agree

Archived