Westin Diplomat vs Riverside Hotel

dmk

We are looking for a different hotel than we usually book at. We have stayed on FLL beach area and the area near embassy suites.

The Westin Diplomat sounds like a lovely hotel. However, it seems the taxi ride from the airport and to the port would be quite expensive. Besides the hotel restaurants, there don't seem to be very many near by.

The Riverside is in a great location. My only concerns here are the "Traditional Rooms" and the pool area.

I would really appreciate any information that would help me make my decision.

We are looking for a different hotel than we usually book at. We have stayed on FLL beach area and the area near embassy suites.

The Westin Diplomat sounds like a lovely hotel. However, it seems the taxi ride from the airport and to the port would be quite expensive. Besides the hotel restaurants, there don't seem to be very many near by.

The Riverside is in a great location. My only concerns here are the "Traditional Rooms" and the pool area.

I would really appreciate any information that would help me make my decision.

Do you want a hotel in a shopping, dining, urban location (Riverside) or beach/resort lux (Diplomat).

Do you want a hotel in a shopping, dining, urban location (Riverside) or beach/resort lux (Diplomat).

Yes, a very good question:)

If I answered it, I would have the answer to my question. But at the moment both areas are appealing to me.

You have to pay for a taxi to either anyway and the roundtrip difference is probably no more than $40, so if you want to stay at the Diplomat it isn't going to break the bank in taxi fare. And unless you are very picky, the traditional rooms at Riverside are probably going to be fine, as it is a lovely historic hotel.

Hi There since I have stayed at the Riverside hotel here is my thoughts on the hotel. Depending how you get your reservation will depend on your room. I used Priceline and then was given the old section of the hotel. The rooms are old but they were very clean. Ours looked over the pool and intercoastal water way. We had 3 staying there and upon arrival and check in the receptionist offered to Upgrade our room to the new section for $30 but we decided to stay in the original rooms. As I said they were comftorable, clean and we had no problems.

The resturant downstairs was really expensive but there are shopping, and other resturants in the area but they are expensive as well. I was not a fan of the location but to each his own, alot of people really like this area. As already mentioned you are going to pay for a taxi anyway you look at it between the two hotels. So my choice would be the Westin Diplomat since it's a nicer hotel. Either way you will have a wonderful time which ever one you choose. Have a good trip.

Kitcito:D

The resturant downstairs was really expensive but there are shopping, and other resturants in the area but they are expensive as well. I was not a fan of the location but to each his own, alot of people really like this area. As already mentioned you are going to pay for a taxi anyway you look at it between the two hotels. So my choice would be the Westin Diplomat since it's a nicer hotel. Either way you will have a wonderful time which ever one you choose. Have a good trip.

Out of curiosity, how can you not like the location? I'm not saying your opinion is invalid but Las Olas is a very beautiful tree lined street on the New River with tons of shopping, dining, and attractions.

Thanks!

Hi There since I have stayed at the Riverside hotel here is my thoughts on the hotel. Depending how you get your reservation will depend on your room. I used Priceline and then was given the old section of the hotel. The rooms are old but they were very clean. Ours looked over the pool and intercoastal water way. We had 3 staying there and upon arrival and check in the receptionist offered to Upgrade our room to the new section for $30 but we decided to stay in the original rooms. As I said they were comftorable, clean and we had no problems.

The really expensive restaurant at the hotel "The Grill Room" is closed, but the moderately priced Indigo restaurant is still open. Here is the dinner menu...http://www.riversidehotel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Indigo-Restaurant-Dinner-Nov-2010.pdf

We have stayed at both these locations as well as having stayed in both types of rooms in the Riverside Hotel. We were happy with all our experiences including the older decor rooms at Riverside. The older rooms are like a "blast from the past" in terms of styling but by no means are they run down or in poor condition.

I think Blueherons summed it up nicely in that it just depends on what type of experience you are interested in during your stay as to which location to choose.

Out of curiosity, how can you not like the location? I'm not saying your opinion is invalid but Las Olas is a very beautiful tree lined street on the New River with tons of shopping, dining, and attractions.

Thanks!

Bluherons,

All I can say is it's not my cup of tea! The street is very nice but I just prefer other area's that Las Olas.

We were just in Ft Lauderdale 2 weeks ago prior to our Solstice cruise and stayed at the W for 3 nights prior and then at the Riverside for the Saturday night before the cruise. We prefer the beach area and really enjoyed the W. However, we upgraded to the executive tower room at the Riverside and actually liked the room better than the one we had at the W. We enjoyed our stay at the Riverside and had a great breakfast at the Indigo restaurant Sunday morning but would still prefer the Westin or W location.

Archived