NCL Spirit back today...

Cruisedeacon

We parked about 12 noon and went through embarkation procedures without any problems... (for those of you questioning liquor... I did see a couple that tried to bring on scotch and were stopped ... it was taken away to be returned on the day of departure) you can take wine on board... some are stopped to pay a corkage fee but most are not... we brought on a box of wine and were not stopped... was nice to have wine in the evenings in our room...without paying for a whole bottle...

How did you get the box of wine on board. I have heard that if you take the wine out of the box it will pass through the xray machine undetecded but how do you prevent the bag from being punctured?

How did you get the box of wine on board. I have heard that if you take the wine out of the box it will pass through the xray machine undetecded but how do you prevent the bag from being punctured?

1) Put it in a good water-tight ziplock

2) cushion it with something soft

3) Pray it does not get punctured

Thanks for your review. We're booked on the Spirit for January 30 and have been busy researching excursions, so I appreciated your reactions. Was there an extra charge for the Second City show?

If you need more info about side trips let me know... we have been to each of the ports 3 times...;)

Did you only go to the buffet for breakfast? Do they still have the Scotch Bangers there?

Any specific problems w/breakfast at the buffet?

For certain, Bingo on NCL is a monstous investment. Fool me once.....

Well, anyway.

Bangers still there as of 11-7 cruise

There is no smoking near the elevators, stairs, in front of restaurants. Smoking is designated to one side of the ship outside around the pool.

As well as it should be, we don't need to be breathing in your nasty second hand smoke and bad breath .

Hi

I'll be on in December and am wondering what it is usually like on deck on the sea days. Hot or cool?

Thanks for the info so far!

WE sailed her 2 years ago the last of Nov/first of Dec. The weather, for the most part was very pleasant and we enjoyed the pool deck. It certainly wasn't hot though. The worst part: the water in Cozumel was really choppy. We tried to snorkel and all of lasted about 5 or 10 minutes.

Nita

We've been on the Spirit twice and this itinerary a bunch of times October-February. I usually find the morning of the first sea day to be a bit chilly, but by afternoon it warms up nicely and the water starts to take on that beautiful blue hue.

One last question about the wine. Did you put in the checked luggage on in your carry on?

You can bring it in either, but it saves time to put it in the carry-on since if they find it in your checked luggage, you will have to go down to the "naughty room", open the bag for them, then pay the $15 there. It's not a huge hassle, but it does take time out of your Embarkation day.

Hi

I'll be on in December and am wondering what it is usually like on deck on the sea days. Hot or cool?

Thanks for the info so far!

hopefully you will have weather like we had, a couple of years ago.

plenty warm, not hot, but comfortable around the pool. we did have one morning, as the ship was heading to roatan, that we passed a small storm...great photos of the storm over roatan...but the temps did drop down to the 70s. we had no surf, the gulf was flat and cozumel was great...water clear and very blue/green.

thanks for the review.

Since I was trying to book a private snokeling trip at Cozumel, I was wondering if there is any time change during the cruise? If so, do you remember when?

thanks,

Isabelle

The Spirit's entire itinerary is in the Central Time Zone. Whether there is a time change depends upon the time of year, and whether that Country observes "Daylight Savings" or not. USA and Mexico do for the most parts; Belize and Honduras don't.

800px-DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

Blue = DST used

Yellow = DST no longer used

Red = DST never used

Additionally, not every country switches to and from "Daylight Savings" on the same date. USA recently changed it's dates, forcing Mexico to have split dates.

Confusing, isn't it?

http://www.examiner.com/sf-in-san-francisco/mexico-does-not-change-clocks-this-weekend-for-daylight-saving-time-but-there-are-exceptions

So, to answer your original question, it depends upon when you sail.

:D First of all I want you to know that we tried NCL about 15 years ago and have pretty much been loyal to RCI... but we got a good deal on the NCL price and it was out of NOLA which allowed for us to drive a couple of hours and not have to deal with the luggage issues... that said... we did enjoy our cruise. VERY MUCH... Please note that the comments I make are my opinions.. I am not to trying to influence anyone to sail or not to sail... again we did enjoy our cruise very much.

* We attempted to get on early but due to a jewelry show at the covention center (right next door to the port) we got stuck in a tremendous amount of traffic... backed up all the way to the I-10... I would recommend not using the Tchipitolas (mispelled I know)... find out what exit is just prior to that exit and exit there... it still takes you down to the port... anyway... we finally arrived at the parking garage ($16 per day ouch!!)... but the garage is right above the terminal so it is easy to bring luggage down and back up... (the porters will actually bring the luggage up to the level of parking you are on for a few bucks ...)

We parked about 12 noon and went through embarkation procedures without any problems... (for those of you questioning liquor... I did see a couple that tried to bring on scotch and were stopped ... it was taken away to be returned on the day of departure) you can take wine on board... some are stopped to pay a corkage fee but most are not... we brought on a box of wine and were not stopped... was nice to have wine in the evenings in our room...without paying for a whole bottle...

Did you bring wine with you in November 2010? I have brought wine with me on several cruises and have never had a problem but things change. :( We are sailing on 12/5/2010 would love to take my own wine?

You made no mention of Costa Maya. Did you stop there? If so, what did you do? Maybe I missed this.:confused: We also like to snorkel and have never been to CM, so we're hoping they have some good snorkeling there. TIA.:D

BTW, I was SO happy to finally see a more recent review of this ship and itinerary, so a big THANK YOU for posting it.;)

Archived