Need Good Air Fares to Hawaii ? Can You Help Me ??!!

Baa Baa

In April, 2003, we booked airfare with Celebrity from Atlanta to Honolulu for $299 each. One, day, I was watching the very same web site, when one of the contributors said he heard it had gone down to $99/person. I called my travel agent that hour, confirmed it, and saved ourselves a pile of money.

Keep looking... I especially like 'travelzoo.com', which seems to find more than its share of greate fares

Sounds like you haven't found us better airfare yet? Have you tried other nearby airports? Are you flying out of LAX or SFO or a secondary like us in Sacto. I always check Oakland, SFO and even Reno and every so often I find a rate that is $150-200 cheaper for some reason. We will keep looking too, but we are not as tied to a particular day, since all we have to worry about is the dog!! Good luck and keep us posted.

JohnQ: Thanks, but it's none of the above. It's for our DD. She's flying out of SEA. Anything else would require a minimum 4 hour drive both ways. She's only got the week. I don't want her to have to spend that much of it driving to save me a little money--now if it was that $99 fare, I could get her a limo to the airport and still save money. In fact, I did check Portland and Vancouver. Nothing better there anyway.

As you can see from the responses, deals are pretty much found from the East coast. We West coasters pay more to Hawaii; we pay more to Florida/East coast. And as you know, it's not like we're all rich out here. I think the airlines figure that West coasters are more likely to go to Hawaii (because it's closer than from, say, Chicago, and much closer than Europe) so they might as well soak us for the extra fare.

beachchick

• 1 month later...
SFO and even Reno and every so often I find a rate that is $150-200 cheaper for some reason. .

Not quite. I have been following prices for the past 8 months and Reno has always been more more than SFO or LAX. I'd love to fly out of Reno- I am only 30 minutes away from it!

Here's the lowdown- the cheapest rt rate from CA will be from SFO/Oakland or LAX. For this June, I have seen North American out of Oakland for around $490. SFO will run around $550. Mind you, it was possible to get $525 via AA for this same time last Sept (I ahve been watching!).

If you are real good at looking, you might find a package deal that is cheaper than getting tickets on your own, that's what I did. For example, last month,four tickets for my family would cost around $2300. Through Expedia, I got four tickets AND seven nights at the SHeraton Princess Kiulani for only $2225! I could forget about going to the hotel and still be in the clear! The price has since gone up to $2308 for 6/15/05- 6/22/05, but that still, imho , is a deal, considering it comes with 7 nights in a SHeraton.

DSClark

I had just found once or twice that we could fly out of Reno rather than Sacto, or SFO for 150 less per ticket and a better flt time. We stayed overnight next to airport and parked for free for a week for one trip. Also for trip to Las Vegas, which seemed ironic for some reason.

Still checking for Kauai for late Oct-Nov and I get almost same rates as Beachchick. If the price is less than $100 higher, we will leave from Sacto, not worth hassle for SFO if less.

Last year, my sons flt to Kauai took all day, from 6 in morning to 9:30 in evening, stopped in SFO, LA, Honolulu. Thru a travel agent!!

John,

I'd try United Airlines. We got R/T from Washington DC (Dulles) to Hawaii for $810/pp plus $5 service charge from a popular online travel retailer. I'm a new poster so not sure if I can say which.

Anyways, also - United has a coupon in the Entertainment book - you can save $75 per person off tickets above $400 or $450 - either way, that would apply. Yesterday fares from DC were $933 - so less $75 and it's in the $850 range. If you are coming from closer, you may be able to find way better prices than that.

You may want to try some email inquiry sites. You submit your required dates of travel and airports, then receive a quote. Since its all electronic ticketing these days, you submit payment if its a good deal get your itinerary and confirmation all via email. I have had a good experience with Hawaiigreentours.com. it maybe that they want you to come to hawaii so they can get you to go on their tours, but that's not necessary. Good luck on your bargain hunting.

I looked at all the major websites for booking in October. At the time of booking they were all showing a price of $815.00R/T from Sarasota Florida. On AirtoHawaii.com which, I found from Cruise Critic boards, it was $695.00. So we booked it. Now it is $845.00 on Orbitz, and still 695.00 on Air to Hawaii, Hope trhis helps someone. Oh yea the carrier is Delta.

• 2 weeks later...

We got a good air fare for our trip to Oahu for our cruise on the Serenade (10/6/05). We booked directly with Hawaiian Airlines. We will be flying out of San Diego. Hawaiian Airlines had the best prices. I signed up to get updates of their specials.

MinnieCruiser

It's airtohawaii.com Robin :)

just checked and their price is so much lower then anyone else and that makes me a little leary

from pdx to maui in oct

airtohawaii on hawaiian 412 pp

hawaiian 674 pp

united 763 pp

how can they be so much lower??? has anyone used them before

I've been checking several agencies and Hawaiian Airlines almost daily since last October. This was one I didn't know about until today.

I just bought a ticket for August from airtohawaii for more almost $225 less than directly from Hawaiian Airlines (and way more than the online travel agencies that compare different airlines). Airtohawaii website and then its confirmation e-mail provided me with the Hawaiian Airlines Record Locator code for my reservation. That code worked on the Hawaiian Airlines website and showed my seat is bought and paid for. Checked my credit card and I've only been charged the amount I agreed to. I called Hawaiian Airlines directly to confirm that I had a paid e-ticket and also to change the automatically-assigned seats. Everything checks out good on the airline ticket so the agency and its prices must be legit!

THANKS! :)

candy ---just making sure on your response --------you found out about the site today and have already booked and confirmed the tix with your credit card company as well as horizon

we are also in oregon ----beaverton to be exact---please write me direct and put cruise critic in the subject box------- lougee1043@comcast.net

thanks

candy ---just making sure on your response --------you found out about the site today and have already booked and confirmed the tix with your credit card company as well as horizon

we are also in oregon ----beaverton to be exact---please write me direct and put cruise critic in the subject box------- lougee1043@comcast.net

thanks

Yes. I've been watching for fares to go down but they seem to be going up and probably will stay up unless gas prices come down! The airfare I got was great (compared to what I've seen since I've been watching) so I decided to book online immediately.

I've sent you a separate e-mail.

spleen93]

being a local i am turning to you for an opinion of the following condo--any info would be greatly appreciated--if you care to write direct its lougee1043@comcast.net and please put maui in the subject box--thanks

<<<Lauloa Resort condos --Maalaea, Maui, Hawaii

Lauloa Resort is located on the north end of beautiful Maalaea Bay in South Maui, fifteen minutes from the Kahului airport (Maui's main airport), and twenty minutes from the popular resort areas of Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kihei and Wailea.

The resort is located off a small street a good distance from the Piilani highway and is very quiet.>>>

This question might better be answered by Bob & Sandi who actually live on Maui (or Maui Wahine).

While I don't know the condo in question directly, Maalaea tends to be one of the cheaper locations for tourist condos. There are some problems though that you should be aware of: 1) high winds in the area make going out onto the beaches there a somewhat painful process (think sandblasting), 2) smells - there's a sewage treatment plant/garbage dump (one or the other - don't quite remember any more) that's somewhat closeby to the area - depending on the winds, you may catch whiffs. But you WILL be right next to the Maui Ocean Center as well as any whale watching tours out of Maalaea Harbor so that's a plus - and you're inbetween the Kihei/Wailea resort areas and the Lahaina/Kaanapali resort areas so it's easy to go back and forth.

Spleen

Sorry, bad board etiquette - replying to yourself.

In any case, I checked out airtohawaii.com just to see who these people are. Checking out the Contact Us section of the website reveals that this is Panda Travel, based here in Honolulu. They're one of the oldest travel agencies still existing in Hawaii these days ... I'd say that they're pretty safe. I've booked airfare before using Panda (in the good old days pre WWW).

Spleen

referencing posts 35-38-42------took a deep breath and booked through them-exactly as candy stated---got hawaiian air locator number immediately-- checked the confirm number on line and i was there--called the credit card company and the charge was correct and called hawaiian direct to change my seats and all is well

now for the unreal news---hawaiian air on line for 4 people from pdx to ogg and return was 2825. --from the site mentioned on the exact same flights the cost was 1650. with all taxes included-- thats a savings of 1175 in my pocket--how they do that

Archived