Need Good Air Fares to Hawaii ? Can You Help Me ??!!

Baa Baa

The best airfare that we found was booking it directly with the cruise line (Celebrity). We got $689 per person. This was the best that we could find considering that we needed to fly into San Diego and fly out of Honolulu once the cruise was over. All the transfers were included in this price and this deal could not be beat.

I just check on-line every day or two with any number of sites such as expedia.com until I find a fare I like and then book through them or the airlines direct. When you use a site like that you can see all the airlines that fly from your airport. In January we flew from St Louis to Honolulu for $587 RT.. Sometimes you have to book early and sometimes late to get the best price. I just look until I can live with it.

What is the date range for these United fares? What regions are they from? I've not had luck finding anything under $750 on United from the West coast in June. To be honest, it really ticks me off to have to pay more to fly 3000 fewer miles than from the East coast. (No this is not a dig at East coasters; it's just that it costs us more to fly to Florida and to fly to Hawaii. It would be nice to get a break one way or the other.)

Anyway, any info you have on these United fares would be appreciated.

beachchick

I totally agree with you re west coast airlines. Unless you are going from SF to LA or Portland, there are never any pricebreaks on any type of flts w/o 6 hr connection flts. I finally had to throw away 1/2 a ticket to get best reasonable time rate on Sacto-Anc/anc-sacto when we were flying back from Seattle after southbound cruise!! I talk to people from east coast and they were getting cheaper prices or better times. I need r/t to Kauai but am afraid to start checking!!!Any reasonable explanations besides "because they can"?

Hi All,

We got a great deal at hawaiivacationlink.com We are flying from Sac rt on June 8-22 for 495.00. Also last night a friend told us about another sight and it was a few bucks cheaper but the name is at home. I will log back on tonight and let you know. Good Luck (with the price of fuel airline tickets are thru the roof!!)

Robin :)

Actually, I think "because they can" pretty much sums it up for the most part. That's a great rate from Sac--especially as it is not a major hub like SFO, LAX, or even SJC.

I'll try the link. What airline are you flying? I just tried United again (I'm checking the darn thing daily) and it's still $750 for the "cheap" fare.

I'm sorry to say that I'm glad (as it were) that I'm not alone in my frustration.

beachchick

I am on Hawaiian Airlines. Sorry forgot to get the name of the website. I'll try!!! to remember it tonight. There is a group of 11 of us going but we are the only ones going early. They are flying out on Saturday and it's still pretty high for them, but this site did have a better deal.

Robin

All you can do is keep trying. Late October is when the tourist season really starts going so fares may be higher at that time (when the weather starts turning cooler on the mainland). And prices may fluctuate again ...

Spleen

This is beachchick talking (beachguy is my DH)

Thanks for the links. I tried hawaiivacation and got a low of $950 for the dates I need. Just tried sidestep and got a low of $700. I'm not talking commuter airport here; I'm talking major West coast hub. In fact, this is for our DD. DH and I are flying from a commuter airport with two island stops for the same price they want for a straight flight from a major airport. I am so frustrated right now! But I do appreciate the tips.

beachchick

DW and I started looking for our airline tickets 6 months early. We are flying from Atlanta to Honolulu 6 April and returning 20 April. We searched Orbitz.com, priceline.com, and cheaptickets.com. We also checked flying out of Birmingham, Charlotte, and Jacksonville since they are all within a 6 hour drive of where we live. We just kept checking Orbitz every couple of days. Usually the price was over $700. Finally one day the price was $413 round trip on American. We booked the flight right away.

So how to save. Check the web sites every couple of days. Be flexible on dates. It might be a lot cheaper to fly a day or two early before your cruise. Check all the airports nearby. We found out that some of the Delta flights from Birmingham went through Atlanta, but they were usually cheaper (go figure).

Also after you book you ticket don't keep looking to see if you can find a lower price. I drive my wife crazy by doing this. However, so far I have not found a cheaper price.

Have fun and God bless.:)

DW and I started looking for our airline tickets 6 months early. We are flying from Atlanta to Honolulu 6 April and returning 20 April. We searched Orbitz.com, priceline.com, and cheaptickets.com. We also checked flying out of Birmingham, Charlotte, and Jacksonville since they are all within a 6 hour drive of where we live. We just kept checking Orbitz every couple of days. Usually the price was over $700. Finally one day the price was $413 round trip on American. We booked the flight right away.

So how to save. Check the web sites every couple of days. Be flexible on dates. It might be a lot cheaper to fly a day or two early before your cruise. Check all the airports nearby. We found out that some of the Delta flights from Birmingham went through Atlanta, but they were usually cheaper (go figure).

Also after you book you ticket don't keep looking to see if you can find a lower price. I drive my wife crazy by doing this. However, so far I have not found a cheaper price.

Have fun and God bless.:)

Actually, I've been checking the sites every day for 4 months. This is why I'm so frustrated. The deals to Hawaii most often are for those of you who are farther East. When they are from the West coast, it's almost always really off-season and from less travelled airports (Burbank for example). I'm thrilled you got a good deal, but I'm still ticked that we have to pay more for fewer miles.

Also, while flexibility is great (we have some), our DD has none. This is her week between semesters at the university. We can't change that, so the dates are set in stone.

beachchick

Aloha,

Checked prices for a friend coming in September for 10 days:

Orbitz $ 588.00

Expedia $ 586.00

Travelocity $ 556.00

American $ 601.50 via DFW using commuter TYS-DFW

Delta $ 581.50 via CVG no commuter

United $ 601.50 via ORD using commuter TYS-ORD

This is only a spot check. Tommorrow could be a totally different story- either way. Fares from major hubs should be less. Good luck!

Hi All,

Just an observation. I had been looking for fares for about a year and once the gas prices went sky high within a week so did the airfares... but one thing I did notice was if you went directly to the airlines it was cheaper than expedia, travelocity and many of the other sights. One more thing if you are on the east coast Southwest Airlines is now doing Hawaii.

Beachchick your right the closer you are the more expensive or at least it's not as cheap.......

Robin :)

Southwest recently partnered (or bought?) ATA which used to fly charters/low cost fares to Hawaii. Service on ATA has not been as good as the major airlines from reports (though better than Omni!) ... it'll be interesting to see how this will work out in terms of people expecting the Southwest "experience" when flying to Hawaii.

I agree about the official airline websites - many of the airlines' websites are tryng to push their services and offering guarantees that their prices will be cheaper than other sites such as Expedia, Travelocity, etc. Definitely worth checking out.

Spleen

I agree that the airline sites are better than the so-called discount sites. In fact, I've been checking the airlines' own sites first, then checking some of the travel sites (Expedia, et al). I do this daily, as I have since last October/November. For the most part, the "discounters" are more expensive than the airlines' sites. Unfortunately, the airlines' rates are really high to begin with for us.

And thanks for letting me vent about this issue.

beachchick

Archived