Back from Serenade 11/7-11/14

Thanks so much for your honest review and great pictures! My DH and I are traveling on Serenade this Sunday and like you, we are big AI people (we like the Excellence Playa Mujeres north of Cancun). We cruised 6 years ago and remember our huge bill at the end for our drinks (and I don't think we drink that much) so we are prepared this time around. Like you, we plan on hitting the beaches. The only excursion I want to do is a snorkel and people have suggested St. Lucia for that but I haven't booked anything beforehand. We are going to play it by ear (even though I have tons of research thanks to this board and TA).

I have one question for you....since you were in the front of the ship, did you have any issues with seasickness or the movement? We too are closer to the ship (deck 8) and that is my only concern.

Once again, thanks so much for sharing. Your pictures have gotten me even more excited!!!:)

You have been a great addition to this forum and I have enjoyed reading your posts.

Thanks again for the review and the pics! VERY WELL DONE!

I had to come back & give a review, after all of the great info I got here, I owed it to people to give my honest assessment. I'm glad I'm not getting flamed too much - I was almost afraid to say that we won't be cruising again in the near future; that although we enjoyed the Serenade, we found out we really prefer a land-based A/I vacation. Thanks for understanding, everyone!

I have one question for you....since you were in the front of the ship, did you have any issues with seasickness or the movement? We too are closer to the ship (deck 8) and that is my only concern.

I bought a bottle of ginger pills at WalMart for $4 before we left home. I started taking them the day before we left - one in the morning, one at night. I'm not really super-prone to motion sickness, just a tad bit....but I didn't want to take any chances! We had quite a bit of motion, we could feel it quite often and I really think that if I hadn't been taking the ginger I would have had some "issues"! One night the captain said we were experiencing 12-ft. seas - we could see the curtains on the balcony door going back & forth, back & forth, when we were lying (laying?) in bed - they were moving quite a bit! We also noticed it a lot in the dining room when we were eating. I took OTC sleeping pills with me also, just to make sure I could get to sleep if I was having any "issues" - and I think that helped me on a couple of nights when I was stressing about it a bit. The bed in our cabin also "faced forward" - do you know what I mean? Are they all like that? I was afraid that I would be traveling backwards when I was trying to sleep, and that wouldn't work for me....

To be honest, I didn't notice any more/less motion closer to the Centrum area than in our cabin, if that helps. :D I think if you're rockin', and it's going to bother you, it's going to be noticeable no matter where you're at. Get ginger if you think it's going to bother you - no side effects at all.

I know I asked for a review! Thanks! We will be going on Serenade over Christmas & New Years! :D So good to know what was what.

My DH and I have doen AI and MANY crusies. This year the cruise was cheaper! Go figure that one out! Our feelings, as long as we are out of the cold and snow of MN in December we don't really care where we are!

Thanks again for the review!

sandy it was really nice meeting you for the 30 sec lori and i talked to you. you and your husband should have come and hung with us. we all went dancing and such. sorry we missed you at cane bay it looks so pretty!

maybe in a few years you should check out a bermuda cruise. they dock overnight and the sand is pink! i like a/i and cruises but usually even with my large bar tab its still cheaper for me to cruise.

im glad your son had a blast he is cutie! it seems like he is like my kids and just want to swim and go to ao!

Thanks so much for your honest review and great pictures! My DH and I are traveling on Serenade this Sunday and like you, we are big AI people (we like the Excellence Playa Mujeres north of Cancun). We cruised 6 years ago and remember our huge bill at the end for our drinks (and I don't think we drink that much) so we are prepared this time around. Like you, we plan on hitting the beaches. The only excursion I want to do is a snorkel and people have suggested St. Lucia for that but I haven't booked anything beforehand. We are going to play it by ear (even though I have tons of research thanks to this board and TA).

Once again, thanks so much for sharing. Your pictures have gotten me even more excited!!!:)

I will be on the Seranade Dec 11th - please let us know how your trip goes. Enjoy yourself!!

Archived