Serenade tips for us first timers?

nevarez

• 3 weeks later...
I also highly recommend this! It is well worth the $10 fee (a four course lunch is included in the fee).. Sign up early as space is limited. The demonstration is actually held in Chops - then you move over to Portofino for the lunch. There is a waiter named Vladimir who is the best!

I have been on Serenade and never saw anything about a pasta demonstration. Do you remember what day it was? Sounds like fun.

Thanks so much for all the tips. We are cruising on the Serenade on July 24th and the more tips the better!

I did have one question for those who have sailed the Serenade before. Has anyone done the itinerary that includes St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba and Curacao and two sea days? I've seens lots of reviews for the other itinerary that has 5 ports of call and one sea day but never the trip we are taking. I think we will enjoy the two sea days because we are taking the trip as our honeymoon and will love the extra time just to relax.

Keep those tips coming!!

I had one other question I just thought of. I have heard lots of people say they were allowed to board early and we hope to do the same. Did boarding early, say by noonish, ensure your luggage arrived at your room early too? I'd love to have our bags early so we can unpack and we ready to enjoy the week. Do they begin processing and delivering luggage as soon as it comes in or do they wait till a certain time?

I had one other question I just thought of. I have heard lots of people say they were allowed to board early and we hope to do the same. Did boarding early, say by noonish, ensure your luggage arrived at your room early too? I'd love to have our bags early so we can unpack and we ready to enjoy the week. Do they begin processing and delivering luggage as soon as it comes in or do they wait till a certain time?

They have delivered our luggage late afternoon or early evening and we have boarded around 11:30. I would not say that it arrived any earlier because we boarded earlier.

There were people from our meet & mingle that were in line with us at the same time (11:30) and their luggage came at about 5:00. Ours was there when we got back to the room about 8:30 from eating at the early seating in MDR, so it came sometime between 6 and 8:30.

I have been on Serenade and never saw anything about a pasta demonstration. Do you remember what day it was? Sounds like fun.

Thanks so much for all the tips. We are cruising on the Serenade on July 24th and the more tips the better!

I did have one question for those who have sailed the Serenade before. Has anyone done the itinerary that includes St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba and Curacao and two sea days? I've seens lots of reviews for the other itinerary that has 5 ports of call and one sea day but never the trip we are taking. I think we will enjoy the two sea days because we are taking the trip as our honeymoon and will love the extra time just to relax.

Keep those tips coming!!

OK, I will try to answer some of these questions. We did this itinerary in November. Been to hetic since we have been home to do a review, but will answer any questions you have. Loved having the two sea days, however we had some rainy days so we didn't get to enjoy the sun as much as other years. Aruba and Curacao were great. The paste demonstration was the first sea day. We didn't do it, but friends did and loved it. Only problem is, it takes so much time out of the middle of the day. I think it lasted 2 1/2 hrs.

As for the luggage. We boarded the Serenade early (between 11:30 and 12) three yrs in a row. We have gotten our luggage anywhere between 2-5. This year the suitcases came an hour apart, thought for a minute that one got sent to the naughty room.

any other questions?

OK, I will try to answer some of these questions. We did this itinerary in November. Been to hetic since we have been home to do a review, but will answer any questions you have. Loved having the two sea days, however we had some rainy days so we didn't get to enjoy the sun as much as other years. Aruba and Curacao were great. The paste demonstration was the first sea day. We didn't do it, but friends did and loved it. Only problem is, it takes so much time out of the middle of the day. I think it lasted 2 1/2 hrs.

As for the luggage. We boarded the Serenade early (between 11:30 and 12) three yrs in a row. We have gotten our luggage anywhere between 2-5. This year the suitcases came an hour apart, thought for a minute that one got sent to the naughty room.

any other questions?

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to hear that at least one other person has done that trip. We are excited for the two sea days because it will give us time to enjoy the ship and to relax.

In port in Aruba and Curacao what did you do? Any advice on tours, etc?

We did a great tour in Curacoa. It was with curacao actief. It was a great tour. We had enough people in our group (12) to fill two jeeps and we did our own tour. It was about the same as the the eco tour on the website, however we adjusted a little to stay the places we wanted to see longer. It was kinda rainy that day, but it made great fun on the driving the jeep, as the tour goes "off road" and you go thru lots of mud and water.http://www.curacao-actief.com/index.php?id=83

On Aruba, we did the Jolly Pirates tour. Again a great day, the snorkling was ok, but have seen better, only negative was the fact that several tours all go the same places and the snorkle sites were very busy.

will post a couple photos as soon as I upload them to photobucket

@melbur - Thanks for the link. I've read through that board before and created a subscription so I can always find my way back. :)

@waterbugohio - Nice pictures! It looks like you had a great time. You Jeep tour sounds like a great time. I did some research online and I found a place in Aruba that does 4-wheeler tours. They looked like great fun and I think we would really enjoy them. Have you heard about those tours or did you hear anyone mention them?

I am using the last of my internet package on the Serenade as I type...what an AMAZING week! Loved the ship, the ports, and especially the crew.

It was an itinerary they only do a couple times a year, from what I understand - St. Thomas, St. Croix, Antigua, Dominica, Grenada, sea day. Our first time out of San Juan, and our first time to the Southern Caribbean. Absolutely beautiful!

I took over 1000 pics and will be doing a review in the coming weeks, but let me know if you have any specific questions, and I will try to answer them.

I am not looking forward to the snow and cold awaiting us at home, but we will have some wonderful memories to keep us warm!

Sue

They have delivered our luggage late afternoon or early evening and we have boarded around 11:30. I would not say that it arrived any earlier because we boarded earlier.

Just received my 'ticket' for serenade january 18 cruise, where it says:

" we recommend you arrive at the prier no earlier than 5.30PM"

Do one get onboard earlier than this time, as the ship docks 06 AM, and we probably have to leave our hotel by noon.

Is there a Johnny Rocket's on the Serenade.

Nope, but there is something even better (to us) - Seaview Cafe. Yummy onion rings, hot dogs, hamburgers, tuna melts, reuben sandwiches, salads, and desserts, and all at no extra charge. The times it is open are a bit limited (nothing like a Promenade Cafe on Voyager and Freedom class ships), but the Seaview is kind of "hidden", up above the Windjammer, and many folks never seem to find it, so it's a great spot to have a meal or snack and watch the water.

Do one get onboard earlier than this time, as the ship docks 06 AM, and we probably have to leave our hotel by noon.

Interesting, we boarded about 11:30 last Saturday. I don't even remember what it said on the ticket, but we had read that most folks had been able to board early, so we arrived around 11 or so. We like to make that first day kind of a "sea day" for us, exploring the ship and relaxing. We even got our luggage by about 3:00, so we had plenty of time to unpack and organize.

I am writing this in the San Juan airport waiting for a flight to take me from sunny, 82 degree PR to 13 degree, snowy Ohio...sigh...

Hope that helps!

Sue

Could you have read it wrong and it said, "No LATER than 5:30 P.M.?" I think that is the latest they would like you to board.

I love the Radiance Class ships and have been on Serenade several times.

Some of my favorite things about the ship...

-The glass... making looking out to sea very easy from just about every major public area on the ship....the glass elevators overlooking the water are great.

-The open-air seating in the aft of Windjammer. It's my favorite place to eat breakfast and lunch. It is particularly nice on sea days when you are able to look over the water and watch the wake disappear in the far-off distance. This area can be a great spot to chill out late at night and enjoy the sound of the water churning as you sail towards the next port. Most people don't realize that even when the Windjammer is closed you can still access this area, you just need to walk towards the aft on Deck 12, past the Seaview Cafe, and then down the stairs.

-The Seaview Cafe is a great place to grab a late night snack.

-The steam room and sauna in the locker rooms are no extra fee and are a great place to relax after a workout in the fitness center. Hey, you don't even need to work out...just go have yourself a nice steam or sauna if you feel like it.

-The Thermal Suite is an extra fee facility but there are heated tile lounges you can use while looking out the huge amount of windows at the beautiful views.

-If you are a movie theater fan, Serenade has a small movie theater on deck 6 that you can go watch movies at certain scheduled times.

-Speaking of Deck 6, another great spot to be while coming into port of leaving port is the Helicopter pad at the very front of the ship. Although it is on Deck 6 you get to it by going out on to the promenade on deck 5 and walking all the way froward until you reach a staircase. If you go up those stairs you'll be up on the observation deck/helicopter pad.

-The solarium is a nice place to relax and go for a swim or use the hot tub. This is an adults only area and the minimum age to use it is 16.

-I don't know if you enjoy sitting out in the sun or if you prefer to find a shady spot to sit out on deck but the outside promenade on deck 5 (the same deck you would use to get to the helicopter pad/observation deck) is a great place to sit and read but still be in the shade. I prefer sitting in the shade so having a covered deck like this is really nice and it is also a great place to sit outside if it's raining because it is covered.

I bet you can't tell Serenade is my favorite ship...LOL...my first cruise was on Serenade so she holds a special place in my heart. I hope you enjoy sailing on Serenade as much as I have. :)

We're going on the Serenade for the 3rd time and she is the best ship in the RCI fleet, the crew and service are the best of any ship we have sailed and we can't wait til January to feel the exitement again!!!!

I am writing this in the San Juan airport waiting for a flight to take me from sunny, 82 degree PR to 13 degree, snowy Ohio...sigh...

Hope that helps!

Sue

Sue, welcome back to reality, from one Buckeye to another!!

We also boarded the last three years about 11:30. We have been on board by 12 or a little after each time. May as well make the most of the first day.

One thing we wanted to try, but never got the chance to was to eat dinner in the windjammer, but go all the way out onto the back where the tables are outside. Heard it is really neat to eat under the stars. We wanted to do it this time, but never wanted to give up a meal in the main dining room.

You are normally able to board by noon or earlier, but are you sure it is the Serenade? There is no Jan 18 cruise. Maybe you mean 15th.

Archived