Nature Isle Explorers Tours

pauldevon

NIE tours is currently ranked #4 of 43 tour providers on Dominica, according to Tripadvisor, based on 157 reviews. They are reputable and I would not hesitate to use them again. I don't know how the disconnect happened with you, but Donaldson is not on "island time." He does take care of business.

NIE tours is currently ranked #4 of 43 tour providers on Dominica, according to Tripadvisor, based on 157 reviews. They are reputable and I would not hesitate to use them again. I don't know how the disconnect happened with you, but Donaldson is not on "island time." He does take care of business.

Thanks dml71913, we will post a review of our tour when we return

They came highly recommend both here and on TripAdvisor, so we are looking forward to our excursion in December

• 4 weeks later...

We used NIE and went on the Jewel Tour 28th October (Celebrity Summit) - no problem with booking, met up with Marvin without issue just off the Pier (yes there were lots of business touting happening) and we had a fantastic informative tour to Champagne Reef, Botanical Gardens, Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls.

I found the gorge refreshing and not too cold at all, but my wife (who has circulatory problems anyway) could not do the swim - such a shame as it was fab. No problem at the reef as the Caribbean Sea was 82F on the day and of course we ended the day in the hot mineral water pools :)

Definitely a reputable company so such a shame there has been a bad experience reported.

• 1 month later...
We used NIE and went on the Jewel Tour 28th October (Celebrity Summit) - no problem with booking, met up with Marvin without issue just off the Pier (yes there were lots of business touting happening) and we had a fantastic informative tour to Champagne Reef, Botanical Gardens, Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls.

I found the gorge refreshing and not too cold at all, but my wife (who has circulatory problems anyway) could not do the swim - such a shame as it was fab. No problem at the reef as the Caribbean Sea was 82F on the day and of course we ended the day in the hot mineral water pools :)

Definitely a reputable company so such a shame there has been a bad experience reported.

We toured with NIE Tours on December 23rd on board the Summit and we absolutely enjoyed the day. We did the Dominica Jewel tour which includes Champagne Reef, TiTuo Gorge, Botanical Gardens and Trafalgar Falls.

We enjoyed every part of the tour and I highly recommend them

We just booked the Jewel Tour with Nature Isle - got a good price and includes the attractions we wanted, especially the reef and Trafalgar Falls. Two other frequently mentioned tour companies have not responded to our inquiries. NIE got right back within minutes and NIE is highly recommended. Sorry to hear about the missed connections. Hope they make that right. Donaldson reports they have room on our tour - Feb. 4.

• 3 weeks later...

We just booked the Jewel Tour with Nature Isle - got a good price and includes the attractions we wanted, especially the reef and Trafalgar Falls. . NIE got right back within minutes and NIE is highly recommended. Donaldson reports they have room on our tour - April 23/2015

• 1 month later...
We just booked the Jewel Tour with Nature Isle - got a good price and includes the attractions we wanted, especially the reef and Trafalgar Falls. . NIE got right back within minutes and NIE is highly recommended. Donaldson reports they have room on our tour - April 23/2015

We just booked the Dominica Jewel Tour for our visit next month

As long as this topic is active, I'll report that we enjoyed our tour. The falls and hot springs, the gorge were fascinating. We did not get to snorkel the reef on account of a rough ocean. Driver was very interesting and spoke about the island geography and culture.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This is our first post on Cruise Critic. We rely on Cruise Critic postings and feel compelled to share our experience with NIE so that others are made aware of this company's practices before sending them money.

The bottom-line: We booked the Jewel Tour with NIE; tour guide did not show up; uncomfortable and frightening experience at meeting point; no reply from NIE after repeated email inquiries. Simply put, NIE is not a reputable company. We made our decision based on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor reviews; we question whether the reviews are authentic.

Some more detail: On February 25, 2014 we placed a deposit on the Dominica Jewel Tour for April 10, 2014. We received an email confirmation from Donaldson Magloire of NIE on the same day. Upon arrival at the stipulated pick-up point and time, no one from the company showed up. (We did check our email to be certain we had not received a cancellation notification; there was not further communication from NIE of any kind.) Instead, when we arrived at the designated meeting point, we were consistently harassed by vendors saying they would call NIE for us. One handed us his cell phone saying that NIE was on the line; the person on the phone said that he was in an "important meeting" and could not pick us up, but that we should go with the guy who handed us the phone. (Hmmmmm....so, we should get in a car in a foreign country, with someone we don't know, who just handed us his phone with a guy at the other end saying he was from NIE..........) Needless to say, we got away as quickly as we could!

It is important to note that after returning from the cruise, we sent three emails to NIE (on April 15, April 21 and May 8) requesting a refund of the deposit we made on February 25. We received no reply from NIE.

The deposit (albeit small) was made using PayPal. We have filed a fraud report with them.

Hmm...This does sound like a feasible story, but....

I had an experience in Panama recently in which the tour guide never showed up. There was someone who had supposedly been contacted by the guide to let us know that they had been stuck in an extreme traffic jam for hours & wouldn't be able to make it, but we could do the tour with the person who they contacted. It was almost the same tour, and the guy that told me about this had our full names,but I was leery because it was also the same person who we had originally planning to tour with, but changed our minds. After waiting about 2 hours and no more similar tours were possible, we ended up hiring driver for the day which turned out to be the best time ever!

Upon return home, I got an email from the tour guide that didn't show up. It turned out that the story was legit. The email was very apologetic, and our money was promptly returned.

My apologies to this poster if the story is true, but it does seem suspicious that with sooo many great reviews and recommendations for this company, that this one bad story was the only post made by this poster which was over a year ago. Hmm...makes one wonder...

I think you also have to keep in mind that these are small islands and these guys are going to have to help each other out. They make money by making tourists happy. The original tour guide might have been in traffic or double booked or a dozen other excuses and rather than standup a customer (and definitely get a bad review), he probably called around to see who could take them. I know it makes many of us uncomfortable but it seemed to be a rather normal thing.

NIE Tous is NOT on island time. They respond to emails and provide top quality, personal service for a reasonable price. I live in Hot Springs, AR and am real. Check out my rating on Tripadvisor. I am spalawyer.

I think you also have to keep in mind that these are small islands and these guys are going to have to help each other out. They make money by making tourists happy. The original tour guide might have been in traffic or double booked or a dozen other excuses and rather than standup a customer (and definitely get a bad review), he probably called around to see who could take them. I know it makes many of us uncomfortable but it seemed to be a rather normal thing.

I totally agree with you, this company is wonderful to work with. I do understand someone getting put off by being shuffled off to someone else, but it probably was legitimate here in Dominica. Now if it were Barbados, I would very much question it. Those venders in Barbados are always saying your tour has left you, come with me. For a first time visitor to some of the islands, it would be a bit scary. I am happy to say we are getting the hang of things and how they work now. :)

• 1 month later...
we are thinking of booking privately with nature isle explorers, has anyone toured with this company already? if yes, would you recommend them?

We are on the December 11, 2015 Equinox cruise and many of us on the roll call have booked the Jewel tour on December 17 in Roseau, Dominica. We booked it with Nature Isle Explorers because of all the wonderful reviews we've read about them. So, yes, I would certainly recommend them. Just in case you're not aware, people on Cruise Critic do a tremendous amount of research and exchange word of mouth reviews. So, if someone is highly recommended, it's because they have earned it and work very hard to stay recommended. I'm sure you realize that we are quick to give positive reviews and just as quick to give negative reviews.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I am thinking about booking private tour. I am nervous about the price. First he quoted me $400 for 4 people, then I told him that the website says $300. Then when I went to click on the PayPal for a deposit it charges tax? It also looks like the entrance fees for the places are on top of the $300 dollars not inclusive of it. All this tends to make me nervous. Did you end up going? How was it?

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Dominica Jewel tour from our cruise on 11/26.

To be perfectly honest, I was a little worried going into this trip. The website quoted one price, but when I went to reserve, I was charged additional park fees, and then when I got the confirmation email, there was a note that snorkeling equipment rental was extra.

However, I had nothing to be worried about and the trip was worth every penny (plus a hefty tip for the driver and guide).

No problems checking in - while walking out of the port, we were approached several times by other tour operators, but when we told them we had already booked, they left us alone. One even gave us directions on how to get out of the port. As soon as we did - we saw the Nature Isle sign.

Every where we went was beautiful, and the staff really took care of us. For example, when we were at the Ti Tou Gorge, we had left our clothes outside the entrance of the gorge. As soon as we started swimming into the gorge, it started pouring down rain. I figured all our clothes would be soaked. However, when we got down, the driver had picked up everything and held it under the shelter to keep it dry.

I don't typically book the same excursion multiple times, but next time we go to Dominica, I will book this one again. It was one of the best tours that we have ever done.

Hello,

I sent an inquiry email to Donaldson and he was very quick with his replies. He gave me a paypal link and said he would send meeting directions after I pay my deposit.

Well, the deposit is paid and Donaldson will not reply to any of my emails. I am set to go on my tour on the 22nd. Has this happened to anyone else? How will I know where to meet?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I sent an inquiry email to Donaldson and he was very quick with his replies. He gave me a paypal link and said he would send meeting directions after I pay my deposit.

Well, the deposit is paid and Donaldson will not reply to any of my emails. I am set to go on my tour on the 22nd. Has this happened to anyone else? How will I know where to meet?

Thanks!

We got an email right after we sent payment.

Here are the directions if you are at the main pier:

You all will meet me at the base of the dock at the Terminal.

As a private company, we are not allowed directly under the pier

Once you leave the ship walk straight between the Royal Bank of Canada and the Museum, me or my staff will be holding small sign that reads “NATURE ISLE EXPLORERS (in green)

We were at the commercial pier - we had to walk thru the large flea market set up and and around to get to the exit (follow the yellow and/or ask for directions). Once we were out of the gate, we saw the Nature Isle sign.

Hi there,

I am thinking about booking private tour. I am nervous about the price. First he quoted me $400 for 4 people, then I told him that the website says $300. Then when I went to click on the PayPal for a deposit it charges tax? It also looks like the entrance fees for the places are on top of the $300 dollars not inclusive of it. All this tends to make me nervous. Did you end up going? How was it?

Lorenita, this was one of the best excursions I've ever had. The deposit to pay pal was $7 and that turned out to be used as a park entrance fee for the botanical garden. Contact Donaldson and he will give you all the information.

The stop for snorkeling was in champagne reef. Beautiful snorkeling and amazing bubbles of warm water coming up. The guides are amazing.

Next stop was titu gorge - can't believe that at 75 years of age I could swim in 50 degree water, in caves where Pirates was filmed. There again, the guide, Johnson, was amazing. He stayed with me and helped me at every step of the way as the others were young and were able to do quite well.

The climb up to Trafalgar Falls was quite steep and I had to stop a few times to catch my breath, but with Johnson's help I did fine.

There was a fish or chicken dish available for purchase at the first snorkeling stop. $12 for a plate. Way too expensive. I didn't bring any food and, yes, I was hungry as it's 4 hours. So try to bring a sandwich or something to snack on.

Other than that, it was a wonderful excursion and the drinks provided were sodas, beer, and water. They had a cooler which they set out at each stop.

By the way, I always recommend to everyone - if you're going snorkeling, bring your own mask and snorkel as in most instances sterilization is with soap and water and really doesn't do the trick.

• 3 weeks later...