Lunch on GC or back to ship and back to GC

oratheeexplorer

I know the title of this is confusing......

Wondering if there is a "reasonbly priced" place to eat lunch around the pier at Grand Cayman after our excursion.......

Other option would be to go back to the ship to eat and then come back to explore Georgetown shops, etc.......but wondering how long it would take to tender back to the ship and eat and then tender back to pier.....are the tenders really busy at lunch time?

We always eat in port. If in town we go to a place right on the water. It is on the same side as the tender pier (turn right when you come off the pier). We have eaten at Calico Jacks and Royal Palms on the beach. I don't find anything in Grand Cayman particularly reasonably priced. Between the exchange rate and the fact that they have to import everything the higher prices are understandable.

On Tripadvisor I found several references to the Sunshine Grill. It's by 7 Mile Beach, near the Westin Hotel behind the Sunshine Suites. It's supposed to have reasonable (for GC) prices and incredible tacos (especially the fish tacos).

We've tendered in GC once before and I don't want to make that trip more often than necessary!

On Tripadvisor I found several references to the Sunshine Grill. It's by 7 Mile Beach, near the Westin Hotel behind the Sunshine Suites. It's supposed to have reasonable (for GC) prices and incredible tacos (especially the fish tacos).

We've tendered in GC once before and I don't want to make that trip more often than necessary!

Is it a rough ride, or justs takes a long time, or both? Tendering at Princess Cays wasn't bad......

Sunshine Grill would be a great place to have a relatively reasonably priced lunch, if you were already nearby. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. Tripadvisor sometimes seems funny in terms of ratings, in that pretty good but casual places end up being rated really highly. SG is currently rated #1, but it is by no means the best restaurant in GC---maybe best value. It's casual, simple good food, and I really did like the fish tacos a lot!

Is it a rough ride, or justs takes a long time, or both? Tendering at Princess Cays wasn't bad......

We tendered in twice---once rough, once calm. Once a really long line to get back to the ship. Had to wait for a second tender. Once took a long time to dock going into town and it was really hot on the tender while we waited. On the other hand, it may be easier than the long lines at many restaurants in town. I can't remember exactly how long it took on the tenders, but maybe 10 minutes (?)

The tender at GC is very short...5-10 minutes tops...

The line waiting to get on the island can be a pretty long if you get caught in the first crowd of people trying to get on the island right away...The line to get back to the ship can be pretty long too if you wait until the last hour to get back to the ship since there will be a rush of people are trying to get back at that time before the ship sails off.

Other than that, it's not too bad. If you time it right, the tender process will only take a few minutes...If you are in a crowd, you spend more time waiting than actually "tendering"...When I was there, there were plenty of tenders going back and forth all day and it was only crowded the first and last hour or so.

Does anyone know of a restaurant that serves typical Caymanian (Caymonian?? Caymonite??) food. I'd like to try local dishes.

My usual recommendation for local food in the central George Town area is Corita's Copper Kettle on Edward Street. Good food. Reasonable prices.

• 1 month later...

Don't know your hours in port, or your excursion.....but when we went to the Caymans we did the submarine excursion, took an hour and a half, then we wandered back towards the pier, stopped and toured the museum, went into a few shops, and decided that since we would have to be back on board (I think by two)we just went back to the ship and had our lunch, and relaxed.

DH wants to go back to Cayman and spend time at the beach, but the submarine excursion was wonderful, and worth every penny!(2 of our group are not swimmers)

Does anyone know of a restaurant that serves typical Caymanian (Caymonian?? Caymonite??) food. I'd like to try local dishes.

I second Drew's advice. We ate at Corita's Copper Kettle in October. It is a little cafe that is not open for dinner (I think it closes at 3). My friend and I had oxtail for $9 CI which was 10 or 11 US dollars it included fried plantains, rice, and some other root veggie that I cannot think of right now LOL, our hubbys had jerk burgers that were less expensive. We swam with the stingrays first with stingraysailing. com and then Chip dropped us off at Corita's. It was a couple blocks from the port area.

Archived