mykonos-Delos?

We loved Mykonos, and it is very charming. It is nice just to wander the streets and the harbor area and then walk to see the windmills.

If you want to see the ruins at the uninhabited island of Delos, it only takes a few hours, and the boats leave from the harbor (you don't have to take the ship's tour). It's interesting, and each ruin site is a little different, so if you like ruins, you'll like it. Be careful though--I would suggest a hat for each of you and some bottled water. There is no shade, and it can be very hot over at Delos. So I would recommend going in the morning if you choose to see the ruins. Also, you'll need a guide to understand what you're seeing, and there will be some waiting at the ruins if a cruise ship is in town. It's a lot cheaper to go on your own, and you can probably Google some current price info. The guide will probably charge based on the length of your tour. I think I recall a small museum on Delos too, but it's not anything spectacular like the ones in Athens.

If you're tired and want a short port day, this island is very scenic, and you'll have a good time just walking around.

Hope you have a great time,

Donna

We are also going on a med trip this summer. I think this place is supposed to be less important than some of the others we are going to see. I thik I will play it by ear and decide on the ship. I would do it myself and NOT take a ships tour.

Actually, in terms of importance, Delos is one of the most important places you will see because it was the headquarters of the Delian league and had some of the most important temple complexes in the whole Med.I would do it myself and just catch the boat back when you are tired of walking.Still plenty of time to see Mykonos.

I had a giggle over anyone thinking that Mykonos is one of the "less important" Greek ports because a vast majority of the passengers from our sailing and in surveys pick this as the favorite Greek port. But hey, these boards are all about education. Athens is big, hot, dirty, polluted, and crowded. The sights there such as the Parthenon are spectacular, and the Plaka are is very nice. Other than that, one day was plenty for us, and I have no desire to go back. Crete was also a mixed bag. Mykonos is all good. Mykonos is quaint, beautiful, laid-back, and very charming. I hope passengers will go with an open mind and enjoy it as much as passengers who went before you.

Happy travels,

Donna

DW and I spent 4 days in Mykonos a few years back (not on a cruise) and it is definitely an "important" place. Good food, friendly people, very scenic, a chapel for each day of the year, windmills, a topless beach, a friendly pelican ("Petros"), great photo ops, and, as if it matters, an international gay community.

We took a morning excursion over to Delos....arranged quay side with the local operators....maybe 4 hours tops. If you are into ancient Greek history and like ruins, etc., you can't do better than this. It is hot! Bring some water, sunscreen, hat, etc.

If you are just into port browsing, like a coffee, a pastry, some trinket buying, then you don't need this. If you want the full experience, I think you should go.

Beau

Thank you all... I didn't mean that Mykonos was unimportant... i was under the impression that Delos wasn't important. However, since you all seem to think that it is, AND I love rins and seeing everything. You now have my vote! I PROMISE to take a boat over to take a look!

:) We were on Celebrity's Galaxy last year when we visited Mykonos. It is a lovely little town with winding streets and a beautiful area by the sea that they call, Venice. We did this island on our own with no difficulty. The surprising thing was when we went back to town at night after dinner (1st. seating.) The place was so alive. There were so many outside dining places and so much going on. It was great!;)

Thanks for all the great info. We will arrive in Mykonos at 1PM. If we want to go by ourselves to Delos, can we get a boat to take us over at that time in the afternoon? If you know someone to contact in Mykonos, I would appreciate if you could give me some info?

Barbara L

Archived