Epic - show after dinner?

Bob26

I am in the process of making reservations for restaurants and shows on upcoming Epic's cruise. The earliest dinner time is 5:30. Will we have enough time to have dinner at 5:30 and make it to 7:00 BMG show? How fast is the dinner service in Le Bistro? Moderno? Cagney's? Shanghai?

Thanks.

Bob

I am in the process of making reservations for restaurants and shows on upcoming Epic's cruise. The earliest dinner time is 5:30. Will we have enough time to have dinner at 5:30 and make it to 7:00 BMG show? How fast is the dinner service in Le Bistro? Moderno? Cagney's? Shanghai?

Thanks.

Bob

We had reservations for BMG on the first night at 7pm ... and even tho it wasn't crowded at all and could have walked in close to 7 ... we weren't sure ... so our group got there early at ~6:15-6:30pm.

Thus ... we did not have time for dinner anywhere but in the buffet that night ... and now I probably would have done it differently ... so we could have enjoyed our dinner more.

The kids enjoyed sitting the 2nd row of BMG with the ponchos ... but it was definitely difficult getting everyone ready & fed ... before the show. If we didn't have kids ... we probably would have done dinner after the show.

Also ... I wouldn't recommend doing dinner in Le Bistro or Moderno beforehand either. You could probably ask the waiters to speed it up to get you out in time ... but we preferred to relax and not be rushed ... esp. in Moderno where the meats just kept on coming :p Can't comment on Cagney's or Shanghai ... as we didn't go there.

BTW ... there is a noodle bar at Shanghai's ... maybe that would be quicker.

Just my opinion but no. I don't think you can run in at 7 and get a good seat for BMG and 5:30 specialty restaurant dinner should take about 1-1/2 hours. Just my guess though.

This post is one of my least favorite things about Cruise Critic. Too many people offering up opinions that are guesses.

This post is one of my least favorite things about Cruise Critic. Too many people offering up opinions that are guesses.

So, instead of calling them "guesses" would you feel better if they were called educated guesses, or educated opinions? With items like this there are WAY too many variables to state something absolutely. Do they end up waiting for a table? How slow/fast is service that night? What restaurant do they choose? What do they order? Is the show crowded? Is there a line?

My "educated guess" based on me having been on the ship and eaten at a specialty restaurant at 5:30 (Moderno) is that they won't make it. We were there for almost 2 hours, but Moderno is a bit different because of their format of how you get served. I'm not sure how this applies if they were to do a different restaurant, and state that they were in a hurry, but I think the comment still stands that maybe they would be better off not pushing it and stressing about it. :)

So, instead of calling them "guesses" would you feel better if they were called educated guesses, or educated opinions? With items like this there are WAY too many variables to state something absolutely. Do they end up waiting for a table? How slow/fast is service that night? What restaurant do they choose? What do they order? Is the show crowded? Is there a line?

My "educated guess" based on me having been on the ship and eaten at a specialty restaurant at 5:30 (Moderno) is that they won't make it. We were there for almost 2 hours, but Moderno is a bit different because of their format of how you get served. I'm not sure how this applies if they were to do a different restaurant, and state that they were in a hurry, but I think the comment still stands that maybe they would be better off not pushing it and stressing about it. :)

SDMike: Don't caught up in the name game. You know what I meant. It doesn't matter if you call it an educated guess or a 'stab at it' or a "blind guess".... the point is for people that haven't cruised the Epic (myself) it takes SO MUCH time to read through posts of people making blind guesses as to what it might be like, or even worse, the people who post and say, "umm do a search I think it's on here somewhere" or "someone on here might know, good luck" .... "I cruised this other ship this one time 10 yrs ago and it was like this....." not only is it a waste of time for the person posting, but also for the 1,000's who will no doubt read it. Not to mention the fact that when these people post something the thread goes back up to the top.

Maybe it's the fact that typically extremely old people are "cruisers" and this board has a lot of people who aren't familiar with message boards... I don't know ? Maybe it's the fact that people get on here just to get hyped up about cruising rather than actually get information ? I haven't been around long enough to make the call....

Anyway, you have been one of the best on this board to use pictures and your own experiences to help answer questions. Everyone knows when SDMike offers his insight it is clear that you are basing that opinion on your own personal travel and everytime that I've seen you post something, you make clear how your experience was, which is very helpful. Thanks a lot for all of your willing to spend your time helping us out.

Maybe it's the fact that typically extremely old people are "cruisers" and this board has a lot of people who aren't familiar with message boards..

It's a fact that cruisers are typically extremely old people? A lot of people here aren't familiar with message boards? Huh?

Or is that a guess? :)

It's a fact that cruisers are typically extremely old people? A lot of people here aren't familiar with message boards? Huh?

Or is that a guess?

Clearly I said maybe and followed up with stating I haven't been around long enough to know why people feel the need to comment on several threads they have no idea about. Below is a quote in case you didn't know how to scroll up.... are you trying to argue ? It's pretty safe to say that MANY people on here offer up posts that basically state, "I don't know"... why even post a reply ?

Maybe it's the fact that typically extremely old people are "cruisers" and this board has a lot of people who aren't familiar with message boards... I don't know ? Maybe it's the fact that people get on here just to get hyped up about cruising rather than actually get information ? I haven't been around long enough to make the call....

Clearly I said maybe and followed up with stating I haven't been around long enough to know why people feel the need to comment on several threads they have no idea about. Below is a quote in case you didn't know how to scroll up.... are you trying to argue ? It's pretty safe to say that MANY people on here offer up posts that basically state, "I don't know"... why even post a reply ?

Actually the smiley would indicate I was trying to have fun. However, you seem to be kinda grumpy so I'll just move along.

Hope you find the info you need.

Archived