Aurora, MDR vs Cafe Bordeaux

BORDER REIVER

Having had time to reflect on our summer cruise, I was thinking how much more pleasureable it was to dine in Cafe Bordeaux rather than in the Alexandria restaurant.

The food and service was excellent in both restaurants, but we found eating in the Alexandria to be a very tiring experience. From the moment you sit down, there's a constant buzz of noise and movement, with sometimes waiters almost running around with huge stacks of dishes. As you finish eating, you really just want to have a leisurely chat over a coffee, but with tables being cleared all around, you feel obliged to hurry up and leave.

In Cafe Bordeaux, you can relax from the minute you arrive, the waiters keep a discreet distance away and always appear exactly when they are needed. The whole atmosphere is one of calm and relaxation, which I appreciate when I'm dining.

I appreciate that it's difficult to feed so many people at once without a certain amount of business and the few occasions when we dined in Cafe Bordeaux we missed our normal dining companions.

I think that on a future cruise we would opt for 2nd sitting rather that 1st, or stick with Cafe Bordeaux, the extra money is worth paying.

Do any other pax have a preference and is there the same difference on all

P&O ships?

We greatly enjoyed Arcadia Rhodes, but as a treat. Other than that, we were very happy with MDR because of the company and because of the constantly changing menu

:confused:

Last time I was aware, Arcadia Rhodes was on .......................

um ...........

errrrr

Arcadia :eek::eek::eek:

Mike

Having had time to reflect on our summer cruise, I was thinking how much more pleasureable it was to dine in Cafe Bordeaux rather than in the Alexandria restaurant.

The food and service was excellent in both restaurants, but we found eating in the Alexandria to be a very tiring experience. From the moment you sit down, there's a constant buzz of noise and movement, with sometimes waiters almost running around with huge stacks of dishes. As you finish eating, you really just want to have a leisurely chat over a coffee, but with tables being cleared all around, you feel obliged to hurry up and leave.

In Cafe Bordeaux, you can relax from the minute you arrive, the waiters keep a discreet distance away and always appear exactly when they are needed. The whole atmosphere is one of calm and relaxation, which I appreciate when I'm dining.

I appreciate that it's difficult to feed so many people at once without a certain amount of business and the few occasions when we dined in Cafe Bordeaux we missed our normal dining companions.

I think that on a future cruise we would opt for 2nd sitting rather that 1st, or stick with Cafe Bordeaux, the extra money is worth paying.

Do any other pax have a preference and is there the same difference on all

P&O ships?

Agree with what you say, BUT the main dining room is still a much more relaxing experience and less stressful than the self service buffet... Queuing up for food, hunting out a table, no thanks ! First thing in the morning, I'm on holiday, waiter service or room service for me thank you very much...:)

Agree if you can find the alternative breakfast eaterie which is not s/service then go there, its the same with Cafe Jardin on Oceana, a slightly different menu, no full English, but there could be devilled kidneys or kippers or eggs benedict, with these sort of choices usually no children in there either so usually relaxing and quiet too.

As were talking about breakfast, can't really comment on Arcadia and Oriana Rhodes, which are worth a visit in the evening, but don't serve breakfast.

p.s.

I'm on Aurora a week tomorrow, will do as you say and try Cafe B one morning, have dined there in the evenings a couple of years ago, but not breakfast for a while.

That's OK I suppose if you don't mind queuing for breakfast :mad::mad::mad: Seems totally un-natural to me :(

Mike

Agree with what you say, BUT the main dining room is still a much more relaxing experience and less stressful than the self service buffet...

quote]

Got to agree there, the self service buffet is only good on shore days. I would totally flip if I had to eat there every time. Food is good, but.....cannot cope with all the pushing, shoving, claiming tables etc.

We have never queued for breakfast in Cafe B on Aurora and only sometimes for lunch. Well worth any wait though.

However, I would not class Cafe B as an alternative specialilty restaurant in the evening as worth any supplement at all. The food is diabolical compared to what is served at breakfast and lunch! No comparison whatever to Oriana and Arcadian Rhodes and other P&O or Cunard speciality venues.

We have never queued for breakfast in CB. But we would never go at a peak time.

Also it is not worth going as it is not very good in fact it is really really bad and should be avoided at all times.

There you are Mr. M. you old grump no one will go now and therefore no queue.

Brilliant or what.:rolleyes:

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Archived