Zuiderdam GRT and length ?

NH Cruisers

I see on most web sites the Zuiderdam is rated at around 81,000 GRT and 951 feet long. Other sites state up to 85,000 GRT and as short as 935 feet long. I thought the hull measurements on Vista Class ships were similar. Also, is the smaller GRT on these ships due to the fact that these ships have one less deck of nothing but cabins on similar hull sized ships like RCCL Radiance Class ships? If so, the public areas must feel much less congested I would imagine.

I am cruising on her in March 2011 to the Panama-Canal just curious and getting excited.

Jon,

GRT is a measure of internal volume; nothing to do with weight. There can be differences in the final total depending on "who" does the calculation, especially when calculating for open storage areas (cargo areas).

As we all should know by now, anything can be posted on the Internet, and old and incorrect information seems to be re-posted without verification.

I personally would never select one cruise ship over another based only on its dimensional characteristics, but it is interesting that you have noted the differences one can find on the Internet about the same physical thing.

here is a resource that at least provides sources for much of its information about this ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Zuiderdam#cite_note-info-1

I think they sometimes "round" the numbers. On the pocket maps I have from the ships, the Zuiderdam and Westerdam say 82,000 GRT and 950 ft, while the Noordam says 81,769 GRT and 935 ft. The maps for the W and Z are from before their major "aft lift" refits, so the GRT would now be higher, but those refits did not change the length.

Here is a HAL "Fact Sheet" that lists all four at 936 ft, but with GRTs of 82305, 82318, and 82348.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=162117&d=1279037782

While our preference was the smaller "old" Noordam at approx 34,000 GT with 1254 passengers, the Zuiderdam is a lovely ship as well. We especially love the teak wood promenade deck that encircles the ships. Really makes getting around the ship easy. You get to the Promenade deck and you can get anywhere. While i'm not crazy about the wild colors in the decor of the HAL ships, I just ignore it and look at all the brass and wood and fresh flowers.

Not so on some of the other cruiselines. On Celebrity Constellation and Grand Princess, we were constantly being told "you can't get there from here" having to navigate up a deck or down a deck to continue our journey.

I find a lot more nooks and crannies and less crowded feel on all HAL ships.

Enjoy your cruise aboard Zuiderdam.

GRT is a measure of internal volume; nothing to do with weight. There can be differences in the final total depending on "who" does the calculation, especially when calculating for open storage areas (cargo areas).

I think the GRT includes passenger cabins. Case in point "Star Princess" is 108,000 GRT. "Caribbean Princess" Is 112,000 GRT. The only real difference is an extra deck of cabins no extra dinning spaces or lounges, Caribbean Princess did feel much more cramped too. 100's more passengers and the exact same amount of "public all access" areas. Also 1 GRT is = to 100 Cubic feet. roughly a square 4' 7" a side. Stroage areas are not included in the GRT measurements.

I still after reading this wonder what the true length is (it is a fixed measurement), the GRT does have a lot of room for different interpretations.

Jon,

I think they sometimes "round" the numbers. On the pocket maps I have from the ships, the Zuiderdam and Westerdam say 82,000 GRT and 950 ft, while the Noordam says 81,769 GRT and 935 ft. The maps for the W and Z are from before their major "aft lift" refits, so the GRT would now be higher, but those refits did not change the length.

Here is a HAL "Fact Sheet" that lists all four at 936 ft, but with GRTs of 82305, 82318, and 82348.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=162117&d=1279037782

Thanks, the fact sheet is interesting, probably true.

Archived