Family Ocean view on Jewel

pattle66

We have put a hold on a Family Ocean View room on the Scandanavian/Russia sailing in June 2011 on Jewel of the Seas. We will have my husband, 2 6year olds and the mother in law. Has anyone else had this room and did you enjoy it? I am concerned because it is at the front of the ship and I have heard you feel more of the boat motion. Is the room large enough for 3 adults and 2 children (considering one is the MIL!) I am wondering if we would be better with 2 interconnecting rooms.

Is there somewhere I can find photos of stateroom 8000?

Thanks.

We had a forward facing room on the Mariner and it was great, we didn't have problems with the motion, it was noticeable but not a problem. You will also hear the bow thrusters in the morning as the ship docks, but again that was no big deal. We enjoyed the view out the front of the ship especially in the morning, since your view is essentially what the Captain and the Ships Officers see.

I don't think you feel the motion any more or less at the bow of the ship. On the Jewel, we had a state room at the bow, the motion was no greater there as opposed to our friends cabin in the aft. I think if it's rough seas, you'll feel it where ever you are.

In the family suite, isn't it just one bathroom? I think booking the 2-bdrm suite or connecting cabins is better since you'll have the luxury of 2 bathrooms.

Yes I agree, you would be better with two ajoining ocean view cabins and it would be cheaper too. Sometimes you can get a balcony cabin attached to an inside or ocean view too.

The ocean views on deck 4 are great, we usually do those with our two sons in the connecting cabins, the location too is also great.

Happy cruising

Thank you all for your responses. When I went to the travel agent to pay our deposit I asked about the inter-connecting staterooms, unfortunately there were none available. We settled on booking the family oceanview on this sailing. My dh want to sail the Scandanavia/Russia itinery and our dates are fixed as we already have flights to the UK to visit family.

I will be keeping an eye on the availability of 2 connecting rooms with the possibility of changing our booking. Thanks again.

We had a Family Ocean View on one of our Mariner sailings and enjoyed it well enough. But we are a family of four and the kids were younger then. We now generally book connecting cabins so the kids have a room and bathroom of their own.

The FOV is a little over 300 square feet and is comparable to a standard size hotel room. Plenty of space for two adults and two younger children. However, with two young teens, we wouldn't make that choice again. Go with connecting cabins for the extra bathroom and a little more space.

3 of us had room 8000 on transatlantic on the Jewell to Europe last year 13 day . I didnt notice any extra movement but I dont know how 5 will work unless you can get a hide a bed or another bed brought in . . 8000 had 2 twin beds in main room and a bunk bed in small {closet] These are small beds . There is no way 2 kids could fit on one even if small.Think of a full size bed cut in half. The bathroom was small. you couldnt get 2 people in at once .The room was nice overlooking the deck. 2 big windows . There was proably enough room for a 3rd bed though in the main room . Be sure to bring an extension cord though , there is 1 outlet at the desk next to bathroom for the whole room . Carl

Archived