Eden Rock vs Sunset House

abatlin

Which is better to rent scuba diving equipment from, Eden Rock or Sunset House? Which has the better beach dive? How far are each from where the ship will tender in? Trying to decide which to do. Would greatly appreciate feed back.

I think you'll get only good equipment from either place. They are long standing Cayman establishments and with the number of hard core divers that go there, a slip shod place wouldn't survive.

I rented gear (bc, regs, tank) at Sunset in May and had absolutely no complaints.

We would recommend Sunset House. It will be far less crowded. Last time we were there, we were the only people from any cruise ship although there were several in port. They have a nice dive shop with friendly staff. Nice outdoor restaurant (reasonable prices for Cayman) where you could have lunch or a snack or drinks and someone could wait in the shade with a view. Easy in and out to the ocean via a ladder and nice diving area. Also nice swimming pool they allowed us to use.

Yes, you will have to take a taxi there. But when you're ready to return to the ship, the front desk can call a taxi for you. One note of caution...plan to head back early as near ship departure times, all the taxis get really busy. We had a bit of a scare as we thought for a while we might not get back in time to take the last tender. But a taxi finally got there and all was well. It was a very nice day.

Just got back a few weeks ago from our Carnival cruise, which stopped in Grand Cayman. Our tendering process was a nightmare. We were unable to get onto the island until 1:30 (arrival was 10:00). Being the case, we didn't have much time to do anything, so we walked to Eden Rock with our own snorkeling equipment. I know the original question was regarding diving, but then a few jumped in regarding snorkeling. There is only a TINY spot of sand which I guess is what you would call the "beach". I don't think more than 10 chairs can fit, side by side. (This is to the RIGHT of the restaurant, if facing it). To the LEFT of the restaurant, there is another TINY piece of sand, but no chairs there - sand was also pretty littered up in that area. It was not crowded when we were there and the 4 of us had no issues getting a chair, even though they were kind of broken down, and mine actually snapped apart while I was laying on it. :eek: It is not very picturesque, if that is what you are looking for. You are steps from the main road(trafffic), you are side by side on this tiny piece of sand, and then off to the right, you can see the ship and also another commerical docking/rigging area which is very industrial looking. Also, to answer the other posters question (for her husband) there is NO SHADE at all, unless you were to go into the restaurant which is right there. Having said all this, for the short time we could be there, the snorkeling was good...a school of 5 HUGE tarpon, a really big (4 ft?) barricuda, a school of 10 squid, and the usual other stuff. For the time we had it was a good choice, and we had fun!

Just got back a few weeks ago from our Carnival cruise, which stopped in Grand Cayman. Our tendering process was a nightmare. We were unable to get onto the island until 1:30 (arrival was 10:00). Being the case, we didn't have much time to do anything, so we walked to Eden Rock with our own snorkeling equipment. I know the original question was regarding diving, but then a few jumped in regarding snorkeling. There is only a TINY spot of sand which I guess is what you would call the "beach". I don't think more than 10 chairs can fit, side by side. (This is to the RIGHT of the restaurant, if facing it). To the LEFT of the restaurant, there is another TINY piece of sand, but no chairs there - sand was also pretty littered up in that area. It was not crowded when we were there and the 4 of us had no issues getting a chair, even though they were kind of broken down, and mine actually snapped apart while I was laying on it. :eek: It is not very picturesque, if that is what you are looking for. You are steps from the main road(trafffic), you are side by side on this tiny piece of sand, and then off to the right, you can see the ship and also another commerical docking/rigging area which is very industrial looking. Also, to answer the other posters question (for her husband) there is NO SHADE at all, unless you were to go into the restaurant which is right there. Having said all this, for the short time we could be there, the snorkeling was good...a school of 5 HUGE tarpon, a really big (4 ft?) barricuda, a school of 10 squid, and the usual other stuff. For the time we had it was a good choice, and we had fun!

Convinced me that it won't work for us! Thanks for the info, and glad you finally were able to enjoy yourselves!

We are snorkelers not divers so our rely is limited.

We've been to Eden Rock several times and last trip (20 months ago) we went to Sunset House down the road. While Eden rock was about a 5 min walk from the tender port Sunset house was a good 20 min+ walk and a short part of the way there wasn't a shoulder to walk on. Probably would take a cab next time but it so close (about a mile) we were not sure how anxious the cab drivers would be to take us there and figured why not walk.

Both have what appeared to be nice dive ships and setups. Both had lockers, fresh water equipment rinse tub, fresh water shower at the dock, etc. But Sunset house is a full dive resort with a great bar and restaurant there open to the ocean and Eden Rock is just a dive center (although there is a restaurant, Paradise, near Eden Rock that also rents snorkeling equipment). So there really is no place to hang out right at Eden Rock and sit in the shade. But at Sunset there is a great bar under a roof or umbrellas (can't remember which) but open air otherwise. I joke about saying the neatest looking fish I saw at Grand Cayman was at Sunset House: It was lying in a pool of curry sauce on a plate in front of me and was yummy!

From a snorkeling perspective we found the snorkeling much more interesting at Eden Rock. There either wasn't a big reef withing snorkeling distance at Sunset House or the guy at the dive desk gave us bad information when he told us to stay just offshore and snorkel to the right. We were disappointed and actually stopped at Eden Rock after lunch before heading back on board to do some additional snorkeling.

Next trip we'll probably stick with Eden Rock and have lunch at Hammerheads(if it is still there) which a 10 minute walk away and I've heard it is just offshore from a ship wreck that can also be snorkeled.

Anyone snorkeling at Eden Rock - do be aware you have to ask about the reef located at the dive shop. They'll point out the buoys marking the reef which is about 100 yards offshore but easy to swim out to with flippers on. Although, I might take a pass there if conditions were rough or there was a strong current (which hasn't been the case the several times we've snorkeled there).

Here are photos of us at the Sunset House bar with some snorkeling photos before and after.http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Constellation-March-2009-b2b/March-16th-2009-Sailing-All/7889855_RRT2s#511615467_aKMgf

Archived