Cruise Director Barry Hopkins

markham

I have seen on posts about the Sojourn that Barry Hopkins, Seabourn's most senior, capable and personable cruise director left the ship due to illness before the recent crossing. I certainly hope that I have misconstrued the situation.

In any case would someone please clarify and update the circumstances? What information is available on Barry now and when will he return to his position?

We look forward to seeing him on another Seabourn cruise or crossing in the near future!

Thank you for your response which brings some measure of relief to me and doubtless to all of Barry Hopkins' other acquaintances made over the years!

I hope that he returns to Seabourn in due course so we can all see him again.

I am a little late in this but Bob and I both wish Barry a speedy recovery. We sailed with him on the Regent Mariner and then the reconected with him last year. Get well soon.

Eileen (your singing buddy)

I met Barry on my Seabourne Odyssey cruise from Piraeus to Venice in October. He was not only a great cruise director but also a considerate, respectful, friendly, warm human being, with a spiritual dimension that I truly appreciated. I am praying for his full recovery.

I have seen on posts about the Sojourn that Barry Hopkins, Seabourn's most senior, capable and personable cruise director left the ship due to illness before the recent crossing. I certainly hope that I have misconstrued the situation.

In any case would someone please clarify and update the circumstances? What information is available on Barry now and when will he return to his position?

We look forward to seeing him on another Seabourn cruise or crossing in the near future!

Just finished our Odyssey cruise and was expecting Barry. Handre the new CD and his former asst informed us about the surgery and he kept us updated. Barry had to return to the hospital after surgery but is now doing better.

Excellent, excellent news!

I just spoke with Barry and he is recovering very well indeed from his surgery of 5 weeks ago and his follow-on treatments. And while he will have more scans to evaluate where things stand he will not necessarily require any more treatments!

So Barry is resting and recovering and expects to remain at home for a couple of more months. He sounds great!

As an aside, but one which is very pleasing, Barry was exceedingly complimentary about the personal support given to him by Pam Conover. I don't feel reluctant to say as much. After all, those of us who know Pam well have been very impressed with her diligence and attention to detail. If any further proof were needed about her people management skills, this feedback is testimony.

I have asked Barry to read this thread and I am sure that he will do so. I am sure that he will appreciate all the comments that you have posted- or will post yet- wishing him continued good health.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Barry I sailed with you many years ago on Regent (then Radisson) Navigator (2000) and also Mariner (2001). I am friends with the McKellar's down under and I have asked her to pass on my best wishes to you when they had lunch on board Seabourn. Not sure if you remember me. I sailed with my partner on Navigator and then took my father on Mariner. In any case, we are thinking of you and wishing you all the best as you recover and take care of yourself.

All the best,

Ashley.

Archived