Beach at Arawak Cay and Big Dog at Goldies?

jillmar

Can someone please tell me if there is actually a beach at Arawak Cay and if it is somewhere we may want to spend the day? We were at Arawak Cay 3 years ago and I don't remember seeing a beach. Also, there was a gentleman at Goldies that was making conch salad. His name was "Big Dog" and he made the best conch salad I ever tasted!. Does anyone know if he still works there?

Thanks!:)

Can someone please tell me if there is actually a beach at Arawak Cay and if it is somewhere we may want to spend the day? We were at Arawak Cay 3 years ago and I don't remember seeing a beach. Also, there was a gentleman at Goldies that was making conch salad. His name was "Big Dog" and he made the best conch salad I ever tasted!. Does anyone know if he still works there?

yes there's a beach at Arawak Cay.. it's just east of the restaurants.

It's next to Junkanoo Beach.. which is a bit closer to town.

Arawak Cay Beach does not have any amenities.

Don't know if Big Dog is still at Goldies.. but I haven't heard otherwise

Scubagirrl...maybe you can answer something I'm curious about. We just returned from a cruise that stopped in Nassau. We took a jitney down to Arawak Cay and walked back to the docks along the beaches. At the beach at Arawak Cay there was a parking lot with what appeared to be locals in dozens of cars and more parked along the road. There was one or two in each car and they were just sitting there like they were waiting for something. Any clue as to what that was all about? This was probably about 3 in the afternoon.

Scubagirrl...maybe you can answer something I'm curious about. We just returned from a cruise that stopped in Nassau. We took a jitney down to Arawak Cay and walked back to the docks along the beaches. At the beach at Arawak Cay there was a parking lot with what appeared to be locals in dozens of cars and more parked along the road. There was one or two in each car and they were just sitting there like they were waiting for something. Any clue as to what that was all about? This was probably about 3 in the afternoon.

Haven't a clue. Maybe Band Practice. Junkanoo practice takes place on Arawak Cay this time of year.. don't know the times for Practice though.

For those who may be confused by this video.. Big Dogs' date=' goldies, the Fish Fry etc are in Nassau, just outside of downtown.. it's NOT on Paradise Island as stated.[/quote']

ummmm, yummay! thx for the link, cruisin! thx for the info, scubagirrrrl! i am def look forward to giving this a try when we get to nassau. :)

I just watched the video and it made me hungry! It has been 8 months since I've been to Goldies and cannot wait to go back. May 2011 is a looong way off. I May have to book the Sensation 3-day in the next month or 2 just to get my conch salad fix! :D

I just watched the video and it made me hungry! It has been 8 months since I've been to Goldies and cannot wait to go back. May 2011 is a looong way off. I May have to book the Sensation 3-day in the next month or 2 just to get my conch salad fix! :D

We're sailing in 2 weeks! :D

I'll be sure & have one for ya! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey scubagirrl if you had to pick 3 restaurants at the Arawak Cay which 3 would you choose? and also is there other places to eat walking distance from Arawak Cay? I'm planning on walking and eating all day from 9am - 5pm any suggestions on where to go to try a little of everything and see a little of everything?

What are some most eat and drink items i should try?

Hey scubagirrl if you had to pick 3 restaurants at the Arawak Cay which 3 would you choose? and also is there other places to eat walking distance from Arawak Cay? I'm planning on walking and eating all day from 9am - 5pm any suggestions on where to go to try a little of everything and see a little of everything?

What are some most eat and drink items i should try?

My 3 favorites picks would be;

1 - Oh Andros

2 - Seafood Haven (long wait but food is excellent)

3 - Goldies

Across from Arawak Cay is the cricket club.

On the walk from downtown to Arawak Cay, you'll come across dozens of little eateries. Da Junkanoo Shak, Conch Fritters, Imperial Takeaway (a personal favorite for snaks), the Daquari Stand, Ichibans, pirates museum, Bahamian Kitchen, Van Bruegels and a much more.

Downtown, there are the "lunch ladies" who bring their vehicles to the wharf at lunch time with trucks filled with delicious hot foods like pork chops, chicken, fried fish, mac and cheese, dumpling soup, oxtails and the like.. this is the "real" bahamas. And a treat if you get there at the right time of day.

As for what to try? Any thing from the lunch ladies. Cracked conch snak, conch fritters and conch salad from arawak cay. For those who don't eat fish.. smothered pork chops are one of my favorites and I can't go without a big chunk of mac and cheese. Don't forget to try some SKY JUICE from Goldies.

My 3 favorites picks would be;

1 - Oh Andros

2 - Seafood Haven (long wait but food is excellent)

3 - Goldies

Across from Arawak Cay is the cricket club.

On the walk from downtown to Arawak Cay, you'll come across dozens of little eateries. Da Junkanoo Shak, Conch Fritters, Imperial Takeaway (a personal favorite for snaks), the Daquari Stand, Ichibans, pirates museum, Bahamian Kitchen, Van Bruegels and a much more.

Downtown, there are the "lunch ladies" who bring their vehicles to the wharf at lunch time with trucks filled with delicious hot foods like pork chops, chicken, fried fish, mac and cheese, dumpling soup, oxtails and the like.. this is the "real" bahamas. And a treat if you get there at the right time of day.

As for what to try? Any thing from the lunch ladies. Cracked conch snak, conch fritters and conch salad from arawak cay. For those who don't eat fish.. smothered pork chops are one of my favorites and I can't go without a big chunk of mac and cheese. Don't forget to try some SKY JUICE from Goldies.

so basically if i walk to Arawak Cay i will pass by "downtown", is there anywhere else to go? I don't mind walking miles and miles.

• 1 month later...

No, Big Dog no longer works. He has Sugar Diabetes, and has retired. However, he still goes to Goldies on occasions.

Oh my Gosh! Thank you so much for posting that! First of all I Love Bobby Flay and second, we are heading off to the Bahamas this weekend and have done some research on authentic Island food and had heard about the Fish Fry, but was not sure as I had heard some bad reviews...but you know how that goes! So this just solidifies it for me!!! Thanks again!!

Archived