Do you keep "robbery money" in shirt when walking around ports?

wrxrob

Yes, I have even carried a throw away cheap wallet. $20 in ones, some of those fake looking credit card size plastic freebees you get in the mail. Other worthless paper. Nothing with my name or address on it.

I've done the same thing where pickpockets are rumored to be prevalent. I put a cheap wallet with fake cards in my pocket while my cash and ID are secure elsewhere.

Oddly enough, in all my travels the only place I have ever been confronted has been in the US. Go figure.

We had this converation over the Thanksgiving Table yesterday and were divided in what we thought of the 'bogus wallet'. Some feared the thief would know it was bogus and would be irate to the point of physical harm. Others thought it a good idea.

There is no one good answer. Some may take the bogus wallet, or the small roll of money thrown on the ground and run. Some may become enraged because that trick has been pulled on them before. We here can brain storm all day. But it doesn't do any good because desperate people, and drug addicts pushed to crime are capable of anything.

I said earlier, and I stick with it. When a desperate person sticks a gun in your nose, you're probably going to forget the dummy wallet and just start forking stuff over. We all like to think of ourselves as being able to out think, or out muscle a bad guy, but the brain operates very differently under extreme duress like that when a gun is in your nose.

I've done the same thing where pickpockets are rumored to be prevalent. I put a cheap wallet with fake cards in my pocket while my cash and ID are secure elsewhere.

Oddly enough, in all my travels the only place I have ever been confronted has been in the US. Go figure.

Or wear an overcoat with large pockets that have mouse traps in them! Like Harpo Marx.

"Alright!! Gimme the Flash!"

"Not the FISH, the FLASH!!!................."

I said earlier, and I stick with it. When a desperate person sticks a gun in your nose, you're probably going to forget the dummy wallet and just start forking stuff over. We all like to think of ourselves as being able to out think, or out muscle a bad guy, but the brain operates very differently under extreme duress like that when a gun is in your nose.

Agree with you there. I just try to make sure I have a 20 in my wallet, if I'm going through a dicey part of town. Which I do every time I go to work, walk from my car through parts of downtown seattle, U district etc. Would hate to lose everything else in it but better that than your life. It depends on the thief really - CCs, jewelry etc have value but if the guy is just desperate to grab $ & head to the local crack house, he isn't thinking head to the pawn shop first. Enough cash for a fix is all that matters to some of these guys.

I don't understand the ratioanle behind this thread..seriously, I don't..

Just give them what you have...period. No matter how much you have.

Don't make yourself out to be a sucker. I mean, what is more important..you life or just trying to hang onto a couple of hundred dollars?

Don't make yourself out to be an easy target by wearing a camera around your neck, a camcorder, expensive jewlery,a handbag thats easy to reach into, a backpack someone can reach into, a loose purse string that can easily be cut from behind, etc.

Use common sense.

The fact that the first quote says "Remember, they need it more than you do" REALLY?! Does anyone else see anything wrong with that phrase?

I don't cary "mugger money" on me, that probably also because if I threw $20 bucks on the ground and ran way they would chase me down for the rest of it and my jewelry.

And I'm sure they can run much faster than I can!!!:o

I have a CZ ring that looks exactly like my real engagement ring that I leave in the safe at home. If someone thinks they're getting a beautiful ring, they're right... it's just not valuable!:rolleyes:

Thanks.

I don't feel so stupid.

The average person would have no reason to know that. :D

(The average person who doesn't carry a pistol, concealed or otherwise. :eek:

Sail7seas, I spent 22 years carrying firearms and still had no idea what CPL meant. It's called different things in different states/counties. In Florida it's called a Concealed Weapon Permit.

After reading about the robbery in St. Kitts this is what I have decided to do:

Take off jewelry and leave in safe on ship with passport. Only take license (if needed) and cruise ID card. Take about $10 in cash and no purse and no credit cards. I like to take pictures so I guess I will take a chance with the camera.

Use a different SD card at each port and each night take out the SD card and put in the other ones in each port so at least they won't have your pictures you have already taken.

Happy sailing.

Sail7seas, I spent 22 years carrying firearms and still had no idea what CPL meant. It's called different things in different states/counties. In Florida it's called a Concealed Weapon Permit.

It's called CCP in Minnesota (Concealed Carry Permit).

Yep.....be alert to your surroundings, etc..... and smart about what you carry where. The fake wallet is a good idea....make it look good, though; as others said, you don't want to anger an already frustrated person. People have different tolerances for areas of the world they are comfortable in....know your own personal limits and experiences.

It's called CCP in Minnesota (Concealed Carry Permit).

Yep.....be alert to your surroundings, etc..... and smart about what you carry where. The fake wallet is a good idea....make it look good, though; as others said, you don't want to anger an already frustrated person. People have different tolerances for areas of the world they are comfortable in....know your own personal limits and experiences.

:) Thanks. Makes me feel lots less 'out of it'. :D

Archived