Solstice "hump" stateroom or other?

Shelbs97

Hi,

I've researched a lot on these boards and everyone just seems to go crazy over the rooms located on the "hump". I understand some of them have bigger balconies (the ones on the corner), but what are the other reasons that make this a great location? My TA has warned me that because they are right near the stairs and elevators that it'll be noisy?

With that said, do I go with one of the rooms on the hump, such as 8255(which I believe does NOT have a larger balcony and has the bed by the bath (we'd prefer the bed by the balcony), 8273, 8240 - or do I go for one on the long hallway in front of the hump, such as 8204 or 8208?

If anyone with experience on this class of ships could help, we'd be really greatful, it's our honeymoon and it's 12 nights so I want things to be a nice as possible.

Thank you!

Hi,

I've researched a lot on these boards and everyone just seems to go crazy over the rooms located on the "hump". I understand some of them have bigger balconies (the ones on the corner), but what are the other reasons that make this a great location? My TA has warned me that because they are right near the stairs and elevators that it'll be noisy?

With that said, do I go with one of the rooms on the hump, such as 8255(which I believe does NOT have a larger balcony and has the bed by the bath (we'd prefer the bed by the balcony), 8273, 8240 - or do I go for one on the long hallway in front of the hump, such as 8204 or 8208?

If anyone with experience on this class of ships could help, we'd be really greatful, it's our honeymoon and it's 12 nights so I want things to be a nice as possible.

Thank you!

I have a solstice hump, the corner, sailing on Sunday. I will let you know how it goes when I get back

Hi,

Thank you!

Stateroom 8255 is on the angle and has a very large balcony. Even though the bed is by the bath, I would go for that stateroom, of all the ones you mentioned.

I like the bed by the bath. With the seating room and the large balcony, it opens up the stateroom, in my opinion.

I thought only the 1st and 3rd staterooms going INTO the angle from the main part of the hump had the larger balconies. That is what I read anyway. The reason I'd like the bed near the balcony is because when we're getting ready, I can go from bathroom to the desk area with the mirror and have the couch, etc to toss clothes on from the closet. LOL.

My TA has warned me that because they are right near the stairs and elevators that it'll be noisy?

!

In my 14 cruises we have had cabins by the elevator and stairs about half the time. We prefer them because they are easier to find. I have also heard of kids playing if the halls and stairs loudly but have never encountered this ourselves.

Trust me there is no hint of noise from the elevators. Been there twice so far & done that. Your TA should experience the situation 1st before making those recommendations on an S class ship..

And like ISABELLA stated there is an automatic sliding glass door between the hallway & the elevators.

Enjoy the cruise & book the "hump". (if you're lucky enough to get one :p )

I thought only the 1st and 3rd staterooms going INTO the angle from the main part of the hump had the larger balconies. That is what I read anyway. The reason I'd like the bed near the balcony is because when we're getting ready, I can go from bathroom to the desk area with the mirror and have the couch, etc to toss clothes on from the closet. LOL.

All the staterooms on the slanted portion of the hump are larger than normal, some are nearly triple the size of normal, some nearly double the size of normal. There is no extra noise from the stairs/elevators being close by. They are great staterooms.

The 1st & 3rd are the largest, but the 2nd and 4th are almost as large by about a foot or so. Here's a thumbnail that shows that. It's still twice as large as the normal balcony.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24259746&postcount=14

The TA gave me a list of available cabins, I was leaning towards 8240. I HATE walking down long hallways to get to a room, regardless if it's on a cruise (which I've only cruised twice, that's why I have so many questions) or at a resort. I feel confident that the glass door between the elevators and the rooms will help. They had that on Freedom of the Seas, I totally forgot.

These seem like they would have the best view and I looked at the deck plans again - looks like most of the places on the ship that we'll be going daily are located near the main elevators - besides the theater and fitness center : )

Hi,

Thank you!

Hump cabins are not noisy! We've had 9223 and 9225 on the Solstice and have never been bothered by noise!

Hi,

Thank you!

We had a a hump cabin on the Eclipse this summer. You don't get any noise from the elevators. You have to go through glass doors to the hall anyway before you reach the cabins. I liked the hump because I thought you get better vison along the side of the ship. We had a non hump cabin on the Equinox last fall and found the vision was limited a bit. Still nice cabins though.

Stateroom 8240 is a connecting room. Even though you will not be "connecting," I found that the door opens inward and it was a little awkward as it interferred with the bathroom door, especially if someone was in the bathroom and the door was opened, and someone else entered the stateroom. This was on a 13-day transatlantic. Having stayed in a non-connecting cabin, the door opens out into a little alcove. We preferred this much better.

We sailed on Solstice twice for 15 & 13 days, and had an angled balcony. I think you would be more happy with an angle vs. 8240.

Stateroom 8240 is a connecting room. Even though you will not be "connecting," I found that the door opens inward and it was a little awkward as it interferred with the bathroom door, especially if someone was in the bathroom and the door was opened, and someone else entered the stateroom. This was on a 13-day transatlantic. Having stayed in a non-connecting cabin, the door opens out into a little alcove. We preferred this much better.

We sailed on Solstice twice for 15 & 13 days, and had an angled balcony. I think you would be more happy with an angle vs. 8240.

Thanks Wine-o (love the name btw) - I noticed that as well, wasn't sure if the "connecting" room would be an issue. I really wanted the bed by the balcony rather than by the bath - but I've read a few threads discussing this and honestly - it really doesn't matter. And if it's chilly in the morning (eurpoean cruise in may - it could go either way) - we can enjoy coffee in the sitting area and look out....was mainly concerned about the closet being right next to the bed, but we'll live (life could be worse, right?!?)

So does having the angle room (8255) mean you can only see where the ship is going and not where it's gone? Was that weird?

Thanks Wine-o (love the name btw) - I noticed that as well, wasn't sure if the "connecting" room would be an issue. I really wanted the bed by the balcony rather than by the bath - but I've read a few threads discussing this and honestly - it really doesn't matter. And if it's chilly in the morning (eurpoean cruise in may - it could go either way) - we can enjoy coffee in the sitting area and look out....was mainly concerned about the closet being right next to the bed, but we'll live (life could be worse, right?!?)

So does having the angle room (8255) mean you can only see where the ship is going and not where it's gone? Was that weird?

We were in 1606 and 1247 -- closet wasn't really a problem. As far as where the ship is going or where it's gone, you won't really notice anything sitting out on the balcony. May & September are nice months for the Med. Enjoy your cruise & honeymoon.

We had cabin 8285 and we could not see where we were going but could see where we had been. It was a little bit wierd especially when we were leaving the port.

Our balcony was a bit larger than the cabins that were not on the bump.

We were on the port side and we enjoyed it. It was about 10 rooms down from the center of the ship and it was very quiet. I would definitely book it again.

We also like the shower with the glass enclosed doors and the floor did not get soaked.

If 8240 is a connecting stateroom I would be more worried about the noise coming from the other room. I have had such rooms and once or twice no problem with noise but once two young women in the next room entertained in their room at night and were rather loud and we could actually hear everything they were saying...So, If i have a choice I will stay away from connecting rooms. No problem thought with noise issues re closeness of elevators. I also try not to book a hump room near the staircase as that first room or two can be seen by passengers coming up the stairs or going towards the elevators. Have a look at the deckplan as a guide..Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide & congrats on your wedding...

It should be the one near the top with the dark towel hanging over.

We've had 8271 mid hump twice on Eclipse and no noise from elevators or from connecting cabin. For next year we've got 8279 booked as I'm dying to try the bigger balcony and figured we should still be able to see round the corner to tell where we're going!!

Archived