Current info on ships docking in GC?

zachnlucy

We were in GC on 2/3 on RCCL's Mariner. In Cozumel the next day we were docked with another smaller, older, RCCL ship although I can't remember which ship it was. We started talking with several people from this ship while in the taxi line and they told us when they arrived to board the ship they had been told that they would be going to Costa Maya instead of GC because of hurricane damage issues. They were very upset because they felt that RCCL must have known about the switch for some time and yet only told passengers when they boarded. I have no idea how GC decides which ships to let in but I did notice that on our day each cruise line only had one ship there. I wonder if they give one spot to each line and let the line decide. It would make sense then that the line would pick their biggest ship that is supposed to be there so that the fewest number of people possible would be upset. But that is only a theory.

Hi All....

I was on the Grandeur of the Seas 2/26/05 sailing. I was told we wouldn't be going to Grand Caymen by RCCL 800 # 3 days prior to sailing. We would go to Key west instead which was ok with me! However, when I boarded I spoke with the Guest Relations guy & he said we were going to GC. What a mix up.....we had to tender in Cozumel-no pier available, Grand Caymen-we didn't get to tender in due to rough seas and when I looked out to see Grand Cayman I could imagine tendering anyway since we were very far from the pier-we had to set sail for another sea day but we were given 200.00 per stateroom ship board credit and our waiter told us that evening that his girlfriend works with the captin on the bridge & she told him that we were not going to Grand Cayman which I find very interesting~-arrived costa maya early & got to stay for about 12 hours.

I thought I would print the port authority calender & show that we weren't suppose to go there. It has been updated & showed that the Grandeur was in port on March 1 from 9am to 1pm....it was more like 9-11...LOL....while all the other ships were in port from 6am to 5:30 pm.....they were much closer to the pier & didn't appear to be having any trouble with there tenders making it to the pier. If we had been there earlier would we have been enjoying Grand Cayman too? I think so....we needed to be much closer to the pier.......it was much too rough where we were anchored.

I would have to say just wait & see you may just get lucky enough to see Grand Cayman! I've been there several times so for me it didn't really matter if we didn't make it. I do feel bad for the couple that were suppose to have their wedding on Grand Cayman. Instead they had a pastor come out to the ship & marry them.....

Sue

I sent RCCL an e-mail yesterday inquiring as to why the Mariner is scheduled to dock on May 12th in GC and it GC authority shows the Mariner passenger capacity at zero. I would understand if is was weather related (rough seas) as I have known many friends who have missed GC due to rough seas, but if RCCL already is aware that we have issues docking there, they should be substituting a new port. I receieved an automated reply that some one will be contacting me soon... if I hear anything I will let you all know. I really don't have much faith in getting a truthful response because during the September 2004 hurricanes, I was calling RCCL and my travel agent to find out what our new ports would be since Ocho Rios, Labadee and GC were hit so severely w/hurricanes and we would not be able to stop at these ports and the response I received was "We show no changes in your itinerary" . NOTonly was there changes in the itinerary but due to sand bar damage at Port Canaveral we did not get to board our ship till Tuesday (instead of Sunday as originally planned), so we stayed in hotels for 2 nights and would need to call RCCL regularly for changes and updates. Once we recieved word that we would be sailing on Tuesday we needed to take a 4 hour bus ride to Miami to board the ship. We missed all ports except Cozumel. Which made our 7 day cruise, a 4 day cruise. We did not leave port till 11:00 PM Tuesday evening and was off the ship by 8:30 AM on Sunday. RCCL did issue a $500 cabin credit to all passengers, which we drank due to the high stress levels. And the only reason we are sailing again is RCCL issued 50% off certificates to passengers. If it was not for the travel insurance we would have really been in a bind as we needed to charge hotels, rental cars, and food for 2 extra days. Once returning home I sent in all my extra expenses which totalled over $500 and I was refunded that money within a month. It pays to get the insurance! Sorry this was soo long, just want everyone to be aware that when going on a cruise you need to be prepared for changes.:rolleyes:

I sent RCCL an e-mail yesterday inquiring as to why the Mariner is scheduled to dock on May 12th in GC and it GC authority shows the Mariner passenger capacity at zero. I would understand if is was weather related (rough seas) as I have known many friends who have missed GC due to rough seas, but if RCCL already is aware that we have issues docking there, they should be substituting a new port. I receieved an automated reply that some one will be contacting me soon... if I hear anything I will let you all know. I really don't have much faith in getting a truthful response because during the September 2004 hurricanes, I was calling RCCL and my travel agent to find out what our new ports would be since Ocho Rios, Labadee and GC were hit so severely w/hurricanes and we would not be able to stop at these ports and the response I received was "We show no changes in your itinerary" . NOTonly was there changes in the itinerary but due to sand bar damage at Port Canaveral we did not get to board our ship till Tuesday (instead of Sunday as originally planned), so we stayed in hotels for 2 nights and would need to call RCCL regularly for changes and updates. Once we recieved word that we would be sailing on Tuesday we needed to take a 4 hour bus ride to Miami to board the ship. We missed all ports except Cozumel. Which made our 7 day cruise, a 4 day cruise. We did not leave port till 11:00 PM Tuesday evening and was off the ship by 8:30 AM on Sunday. RCCL did issue a $500 cabin credit to all passengers, which we drank due to the high stress levels. And the only reason we are sailing again is RCCL issued 50% off certificates to passengers. If it was not for the travel insurance we would have really been in a bind as we needed to charge hotels, rental cars, and food for 2 extra days. Once returning home I sent in all my extra expenses which totalled over $500 and I was refunded that money within a month. It pays to get the insurance! Sorry this was soo long, just want everyone to be aware that when going on a cruise you need to be prepared for changes.:rolleyes:

dolphin

i rang rccl in uk yesterday and they told me that there was o changes to the gc stop , and whn asked why the port authority are showing pasenger numbers as 0 i was told this is a fault with port authority or maybe final figures have not been submitted!but to be honest i dont buy it at all...im very sceptical now as the if we will stop at gc , lets see what rccl say to you when you email...i think every operator will probably give a different answer , and as people have stated we probablly will not know for sure until the day we are actually due to stop in gc which i think is very unfair , and as this is my first ever cruise i will be very disspointed if i miss gc as ive always wanted to visit there..and please dont anybody say 'why dont you book a week long holiday there'this is not the point , and the fact that i live in ireland there isint many travel agents that offer packages to gc!

Hi - here I am reporting back. Just got off the Enchantment yesterday and we did stop in Grand Cayman on Tuesday. We were one of 5 ships in port so I really don't see what the problem is with ships not stopping there - other than rough seas I guess. Had a great time there. Any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

Hi - here I am reporting back. Just got off the Enchantment yesterday and we did stop in Grand Cayman on Tuesday. We were one of 5 ships in port so I really don't see what the problem is with ships not stopping there - other than rough seas I guess. Had a great time there. Any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

Thanks for letting us know. Now I'll feel better when they try to squeeze 6-8 ships in there in a week or so (including the one I'll be on). :D

Just looking at the schedules can really be upsetting--Too many ships per day even if the Port was 100% . Yet they are building more & bigger ships--kind of makes it a bit less charming...Hopefully new itins are coming out to less crowded spots that the big monsters cant berth or tender in....like Turks & Caicos,,

We were in Grand Cayman on The Carnival Conquest on Thursday, March 3.

I think the 8000 limit is not accurate. Here is why:

The Conquest had 3000 passengers alone that week. There were six other ships in port that day:

Carnival Victory (same size as Conquest?)

Star Princess

Pullmantur ?

Two Royal Carribean Ships

Holland America Ship

I would say from the size that all of the other ships (except Pullmantur) had at least 2000 passengers.

The main area in Georgetown wasn't hit as badly and appears to be recovering nicely. Didn't make it out of Georgetown...but heard other areas are still in shambles.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about any limits too much.

Was on the Enchantment the 19th of Feb and we stopped at Grand Cayman. I believe we were there with 3 or 4 other ships. One other RC(Mariner-whichever one leaves from New Orleans-a few were on the Captain Marvin tour with us) a Norwegian line, and a ship from Carnival. Cannot remember if there was another or not.

Archived