HAL pre cruise package a good deal??

AzEileen

We have booked the 11/21/2011 New Zealand/Australia cruise. We would like to spend a few pre-cruise days in Auckland. Has anyone used the HAL Auckland precruise package? I'm trying to decide if I should book through HAL or have my TA book hotel rooms and arrange pre-cruise tours through a hotel concierge. What do you think?

What hotel is HAL using? How much?

Without that information it is impossible to compare.:)

However, I will say that I have never known a cruise-sponsored pre or post stay to be a good deal financially.

I've done pre-cruise hotel packages with both Princess (Bangkok - Shangri La) and HAL (Rio - Sheraton). They're EXPENSIVE, but everything is 'first class' and you get what you pay for.

Both those cruises involved open-jaw flights booked through the cruise lines for WAY less than I could myself. When I considered: the convenience; the fact that no air deviation fee is charged if one books the hotel package through the line; and that transfers (airport - hotel & hotel - ship) are included, it gets more reasonable.

Certainly you can do it for less on your own. It varies, but I usually find the best price by booking directly with a hotel... and beware of concierges - many will book you an overpriced tour to ensure their kickback.

My best advice is - shop around.

FWIW this TA wouldn't put the words "good deal" and "cruise line pre-cruise package" in the same sentence as no, I don't think they are. In some cases the mark up is double what you can get from the same hotel booking direct.

My advice is to get your TA to book it separately and save a bundle.

I travel to NZ regularly and what I do is have a look at the travel websites for accommodation rates for my nights, make a short list and then have a look at the hotel's own website and compare. This can save you big bikkies ($400 on a three night stay at Hyatt).

Is OP asking about pre-cruise hotels/transfers or about pre-cruise tour packages (hotels/tours/transfers)? We did a 3-day pre-cruise tour with our first HAL cruise (8 yrs. ago) and would never do that again. We felt it was poorly done and extremely poor value.

We have done HAL's hotel packages several times and have geneally been pleased with those. We like the comfort of the seamless transfer to hotel, HAL rep at hotel, transfer to ship. This comfort level is worth the extra cost for us when sailing from a city we don't know well. We've also found that the cost of these HAL hotel packages varies a lot from port to port.

Is OP asking about pre-cruise hotels/transfers or about pre-cruise tour packages (hotels/tours/transfers)? We did a 3-day pre-cruise tour with our first HAL cruise (8 yrs. ago) and would never do that again. We felt it was poorly done and extremely poor value.

We have done HAL's hotel packages several times and have geneally been pleased with those. We like the comfort of the seamless transfer to hotel, HAL rep at hotel, transfer to ship. This comfort level is worth the extra cost for us when sailing from a city we don't know well. We've also found that the cost of these HAL hotel packages varies a lot from port to port.

Thanks everyone for the opinions! I'm looking at a pre-cruise tour package. HAL quotes 3 days pre-cruise in Auckland at Sky City Grand for $1299 per person. Package includes hotel and tour to Waitomo Caves one day, tour to countryside working sheep farm and wine tour second day. The cost of the hotel only for 3 nights is $501 per person. Costs seem high to me. I'm especially interested in the comment above because you thought the pre-cruise tour was "poorly done and extremely poor value". What was the departure port? Has anyone done one from Auckland?

Thanks everyone for the opinions! I'm looking at a pre-cruise tour package. HAL quotes 3 days pre-cruise in Auckland at Sky City Grand for $1299 per person. Package includes hotel and tour to Waitomo Caves one day, tour to countryside working sheep farm and wine tour second day. The cost of the hotel only for 3 nights is $501 per person. Costs seem high to me. I'm especially interested in the comment above because you thought the pre-cruise tour was "poorly done and extremely poor value". What was the departure port? Has anyone done one from Auckland?

We are also from Arizona.

Our poor experience with a HAL 3 day post-cruise tour package after an Alaskan cruise may well have been an exception. Our problem was mostly the driver/guide who cut many parts out and spent two days telling one long story. I'm sure it was an exception, but that did it for us. (We were inexperienced travelers at the time and so didn't complain to HAL.)

I have since glanced at other pre or post cruise tour packages. in the HAL brochures. The prices seem way too high. The per day cost is even way high when comparing it to the cost per day to a regular land tour.

In your case, I'd probably do the HAL hotel for 2 or 3 3 nights, but arrange tours on our own. All the excursions you mentioned are available otherwise. You'd just have to compare costs and make sure they either picked up at the hotel or nearby.

Every time we look at cruise line pre and post, including HAL, we come to the conclusion that they are priced at double what we could get it for by booking on the web. We don't bother with a TA either. Better rates on the web and we are in control. Last time a TA booked my business hotel for me it cost an extra $50. night over what my EA could get it for on the web. That adds up for a frequent traveller.

Having worked in Australia and New Zealand, we found it easy to make our own arrangements. Having said that, we have used the HAL packages often, and found them to be first class, and worth the extra money for accomodations and transfers without worry.

Rutland Gate: HAL wants $501 pp for a 3 day hotel stay. I can't believe I need to spend $1000 for hotel! If we book hotel independantly, how easy is it to get from airport to hotel and hotel to port? Should I attempt to book the tours I want before our trip or wait until after arrival and work with a concierge at the hotel? Thanks for the info. We have lots of time before our next cruise but for me, part of the fun of cruising is the planning!

Archived