Miniscule Shower Stall

Chocolate Princess

No matter what type of stateroom we book, we always take a shower organizer to keep all the shower stuff neat and out of the way. There are many different types from the ones that hang over the shower head (cheap, and you can just leave them behind if you can find them at the dollar store) to more expensive ones. They come in very handy and are definitely worth bringing, even if you have a tub/shower combination. ;)

I always find these critics of the small showers funny, I’m 6’4” 250# and never had a problem.

I also grew up in Newport Beach, California, the homes there are built to beach specs, 30’ x 70’ lots so they tend to build the bathrooms very small, I guess I’m just used to it.

I bring a small hoisery bag that you use to put hoisery or delicate undergarments for the washer and a suction cup. I put all my shower supplies in the bag and hang it on a little suction cup with a hook. The hoisery bag and suction cup don't take up any room in the luggage. It really worked well for me on my last cruise. I've learned lots since my first cruise and the challenges that the shower brings! HA!

They're small but adequate. I'm "fluffy" and have never had a problem with the shower area after many, many cruises.

I'm a fluffy gal too and we took our first cruise in an OV after always booking minisuites. I totally expected the shower to be much smaller than it was.

My hubby is a 6' 3'' and he has never complained about the showers on cruise ships.

However, he was in the Navy for 9 years. He hated the cold showers on Navy Frigates in the middle of a violent Indian ocean where you had to continually pull a cord to get water. Very hard to soap up with one hand not to mention showering with 400 other men.

Count your blessings. :D

DD and I are both 5'2' and petite in frame -- the challenge we have with the showers is the teeny area to put the soap/razors/etc so you wind up having to put shampoos on the floor and bend down awkwardly to try to pick them up without whacking your head!

Just returned from a fabulous cruise on the Island Princess but found the shower stall minuscule! Last time on the Island we had a suite with a bathtub so we didn't notice, but this time with the balcony double it was a tiny stall. It seemed smaller than the one on the Caribbean Princess. Is it because they had to make the ship fit in the Canal?

Same thing happened to me all the showers shrunk, if fact my clothes did to.:eek:

Just returned from a fabulous cruise on the Island Princess but found the shower stall minuscule! Last time on the Island we had a suite with a bathtub so we didn't notice, but this time with the balcony double it was a tiny stall. It seemed smaller than the one on the Caribbean Princess. Is it because they had to make the ship fit in the Canal?

The problem I had was with the shower curtain in that type of cabin - it kept sticking to me...I learned with that type of cabin, bring some clothespins and clip them at the bottom of the shower curtain this help keep it hanging down and not sticking to you.

The problem I had was with the shower curtain in that type of cabin - it kept sticking to me...I learned with that type of cabin, bring some clothespins and clip them at the bottom of the shower curtain this help keep it hanging down and not sticking to you.

Or you can use those weighted clips that you can buy to use outdoors to keep the tablecloth from blowing off your picnic table. I saw a set of 6 in the garden dept. at WalMart just the other week. They were weatherproof and these ones looked like bumblebees!:)

• 6 months later...

I like to give travel gifts to my friends and just noticed Favors By Serendipity has put their cruise luggage tag holders, shower caddy and soap pocket together in a set, nice! Think I'll bring one to my cabin steward on my upcoming cruise.

I like to give travel gifts to my friends and just noticed Favors By Serendipity has put their cruise luggage tag holders' date=' shower caddy and soap pocket together in a set, nice! Think I'll bring one to my cabin steward on my upcoming cruise.[/quote']

This is a great idea! Hey- I still have the mints you gave me on the Island Princess sailing to Hawaii Sept. 2005. One of my momentos from the cruise.:D

We just yesterday disembarked the HAL Maasdam and tomorrow board the Emerald for several cruises this winter. I did not want a bathtub on the Maasdam (I don't like to shower in bathtubs), and so we had a simple inside cabin. The shower was huge (by cruise ship standards) which was lovely for leg shaving but required us to hold on to the safety bar while the ship was at sea...we could have gotten hurt if we had fallen in the shower.

We commented how that was NOT an issue on Princess. Those showers are so small that, in rough seas, you might be thrown against a wall (a whopping 2" fall), but unless you're totally tossed out of the shower, there is simply no place to go if you fall.

I agree completely. There have been many times that I have had to hold onto the bar in the shower and was glad there was not far to fall.

That's so nice to hear. We're going back to Hawaii in 2012 wouldn't it be fun to have our roll call together again?

We are booked on the Golden Princess next April. We sail on the 25th. This time we are bringing our 16 year old and my parents. :D

How about you?

Diane

To borrow a line of Steve Moris, "just soap up the walls of the shower and spin".:D

HA I was just thinking of his spiel about cruise showering....when he talks of how he burst a hole out of the shower and his hind end is hanging out in the corridor, cruisers walk by and mistake his hind end as their door and try to insert their card!!!

I have always liked seeing Steve Morris on the cruise :)

FYI? Thanks for all the great info from the other posters I am so going to try to find a portable shower organizer, they sound great.

I too have problems with the shower curtain trying to get up front and personable....and I am only a size 7 :eek:

HA I was just thinking of his spiel about cruise showering....when he talks of how he burst a hole out of the shower and his hind end is hanging out in the corridor, cruisers walk by and mistake his hind end as their door and try to insert their card!!!

I have always liked seeing Steve Morris on the cruise :)

FYI? Thanks for all the great info from the other posters I am so going to try to find a portable shower organizer, they sound great.

I too have problems with the shower curtain trying to get up front and personable....and I am only a size 7 :eek:

I love Steve Morris. What's a Sapphire cruise to Mexico without him?

I'm a size 10 so that shower curtain can get really friendly. I have to admit I ask my steward for lots of extra towels. I line the floors of the bathroom with those towels as well as the toilet seat cover because I find the only way I can shave my legs is to put my leg up on the closed toilet seat, open the shower curtain and just go for it. I'm pretty coordinated but I just find leaning straight over and down in the shower to shave my legs just doesn't work for me. I'm a brunette so I can't get away with what some blondes do and not have to shave my legs on a cruise.

Yep, those shower organizers are great. I bring my own shampoo, conditioner, razor and shower gel so it works out really well.

One of the best tips I got from these boards is to use clips on the bottom of the shower curtain to keep it from getting "too friendly":). I agree, having the shower organizer is perfect since I bring my own toiletries. What I really like about the one from Favors By Serendipity is the straps that attach it to the bar on the soap dish in the Princess shower so I can still use the shelf too, and it also comes with suction cups which I use in the hotel the night before boarding the ship (we always come in a day before embarking).

I love Steve Morris. What's a Sapphire cruise to Mexico without him?

I'm a size 10 so that shower curtain can get really friendly. I have to admit I ask my steward for lots of extra towels. I line the floors of the bathroom with those towels as well as the toilet seat cover because I find the only way I can shave my legs is to put my leg up on the closed toilet seat, open the shower curtain and just go for it. I'm pretty coordinated but I just find leaning straight over and down in the shower to shave my legs just doesn't work for me. I'm a brunette so I can't get away with what some blondes do and not have to shave my legs on a cruise.

Yep, those shower organizers are great. I bring my own shampoo, conditioner, razor and shower gel so it works out really well.

I do the same thing. I'm curious as to how anyone would be able to shave their legs in a balcony or inside room shower without doing that.

Archived