You decide - Which cruise would YOU do?

crusinmama06

Do the second one, more cruise time, less hassle! The older ships still have plenty to offer. I dont think you will miss the ice skating rink and it saves you money !!!

I agree. We picked RCI Explorer over NCL simply for the ice rink, and they only had limited free skate time, so I don't think the 20 minutes they spent skating was worth giving up the longer cruise for! But flying into San Juan and back seems like quite a hassle--and expense! If you could easily drive to Baltimore, and your kids enjoy the extra sea days, as you said, I would go with that.

Flights are running $280 - $574pp to San Juan.

And of course I already have my next cruise planned. ;) I am ready to hit the reservation button the second RCI releases Liberty of the Seas bookings for Cape Liberty for 2012. :D:D:D

Somewhere in there I have to put the kids on NCL Epic, RCI Oasis or Allure. ;)

Hey Michele, I have a better idea...I have a group blocked on Oasis for our Teachers' Convention week in 2011 (Oct. 29-Nov 5). You should come with us on that. My kids will be 13.5 and 9 by then and it would be great to have another family along...I'm trying hard to work the bookings with families here in NJ, but they don't have our passion for planning 1-2 years in advance!

If you decide to do one of your options, I have to say that the ease of not flying would make Enchantment a great option, but I hear so many terrific things about Adventure out of SJ. It's a hard choice.

And I'm waiting for some information about Liberty out of Bayonne for 2012. If I hear anything, I'll let you know. I'd love to do it, as it's one of our favorite ships, but I can't even begin to imagine the premium she's going to have for the convenience. It might turn out to be cheaper to fly to FLL and go on Freedom in the end.

I'd go for AOS. Even though I'd usually go for a longer cruise, if you could do a couple days in San Juan before of after that would still make a long vacation. I think AOS is a nicer ship, has a better itinerary, and most likely better weather than you might get on the other.

I just returned from 14 days on CB out of San Juan. We had non-stop flights so the flying wasn't a hassle and the airport in San Juan was easy in and easy out. It took us all of 15 minutes to check bags and get through security. We stayed in San Juan after the cruise so we could do the bio-bay excursion. If you haven't done it and your kids are swimmers, it's a must do. You have to schedule around the moon phase, but it is so worth it. We stayed at the Carib Hilton which was awesome, although there are other nice hotels to choose from too. I've only visited San Juan before and after cruises, but it's a great place with plenty to do, nice hotels and excellent food. If I didn't like cruising so much, I'd vacation in San Juan in a heart beat.

I loved Curacao.

We did the aloe farm/ostrich farm excursion. It was aboard the Adventure.

n1507726387_30036357_6250.jpg

She's so proud of that picture, even though she doesn't really remember it quite distinctly.

Way, way, way too cute:D

Wilda - I thought about Explorer too. For the same time period, it's about $800 more. And my other thought, isn't Explorer's solarium outside like the Freedom class ships? Enchantment has an indoor solarium. So in the winter months, I want to be indoors.

Mack - you always have the cutest pictures! That is just too sweet! :D

NJMomof2 - Halloween on Oasis, now that would be cool! You still have my email right?

Hi Michele,

I was going to email you, but I can't find your email address. Anyway - are you trying to stay with a RCCL ship? We just got back from the NCL EPIC - FABULOUS!!!!! We've been on 25-30 cruises and this was definately top 5. We need another week to just relax on this ship. There is so much to do. I know our little girls are very similar and mine had a blast. She says she never wants to go on any other ship. This was her 7th cruise and by far - her favorite. The prices are good for Nov '11 too.

Hi Michele,

I was going to email you, but I can't find your email address. Anyway - are you trying to stay with a RCCL ship? We just got back from the NCL EPIC - FABULOUS!!!!! We've been on 25-30 cruises and this was definately top 5. We need another week to just relax on this ship. There is so much to do. I know our little girls are very similar and mine had a blast. She says she never wants to go on any other ship. This was her 7th cruise and by far - her favorite. The prices are good for Nov '11 too.

I think we are going on Epic too. :) Looking into it.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the ports on the ship that sails from San Juan. All the bigs ships do the same itinerary - St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, etc... If you're going on a smaller ship anyway - hit the ports the big ones don't do!

I keep going back and forth with myself. So which one would YOU do for your family?

Choice #1 - Adventure of the Seas

7 Nights

San Juan, Puerto Rico - St. Thomas, Virgin Islands - Basseterre, St Kitts, Saint Kitts and Nevis - At Sea - Oranjestad, Aruba - Willemstad, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles - At Sea - San Juan, Puerto Rico

*This one requires airfare and would be more money

--more travel time, driving 2.5 hours to airport, then 3.5 hour flight

--2 days pre-cruise in a hotel

Choice #2 - Enchantment of the Seas

9 Nights

Baltimore, Maryland - At Sea - At Sea - San Juan, Puerto Rico - St. Thomas, Virgin Islands - Santa Barbara de Samana, Dominican Republic - Labadee, Haiti - At Sea - At Sea - Baltimore, Maryland

*No flights and we could drive to the port and no pre-cruise hotel needed....(2.5 hours away)

Adventure has the ice skating rink. Enchantment has the bungee trampoline.

With Enchantment, I am giving up a newer ship but with Adventure, I don't know how relaxed I would be after all of that travel time? What do you all think?

I'm just curious, but where do you live that it takes 2.5 hours to get to an airport? btw...my husband is the same exact way. He always says "what ever you want is fine with me, just tell me when and where." Not so great when you are having trouble making a decision...LOL

I would go with the longer cruise.

I'm just curious, but where do you live that it takes 2.5 hours to get to an airport? btw...my husband is the same exact way. He always says "what ever you want is fine with me, just tell me when and where." Not so great when you are having trouble making a decision...LOL

I would go with the longer cruise.

I live in Central Pennsylvania. We would fly out of Baltimore, MD or cruise out of Baltimore. :D

Either that or my other favorite airport is Washington Dulles. We have closer airports but none that have direct flights like BWI and IAD. ;)

We can get to Newark Liberty in about 30 minutes, but usually end up driving 1 hour to get to JFK, because we always get way better deals and more non-stops. Plus I love Jet Blue and there are always better JB flights from JFK.

I've always wanted to try sailing out of Baltimore. How do you like it?

Archived