Best Cruise Line for Kids

mom2mc

We are planning our 3rd cruise. We have been on RCCL twice, but we would like to try another line. My daughter will be 3, so we will be using the Kids Program, and wondered what others had experienced on different lines. We are looking at NCL, HAL, and Princess. Which would you choose and why?

Our kids have always enjoyed the kids' program on Princess. We have not taken them on HAL or NCL so I can't comment on those programs from personal experience. However, for a 3 year old, I would think the programs will all be pretty similar. I think you should pick from those three based on what ship and itinerary appeals to the adults.

Not sure what your definition of best as so many things effect the quality and experience; ship, line, make up of the kids and staff.

Having experience Disney, Carnival and Princess I really say that the mainstream are really very close and Disney ahead but of course you pay for that.

Pick the ship for ports, price, schedule, the kids should survive and be happy, unless its Disney I'm picking the ship for me, except for some really upscale and smaller boats I can't imagine a kid not having a good time.

I've sailed all three lines, but didn't sail NCL with kids. We are booked on a NCL though and I chose it in part because of all the good things I read about the kids program. I don't have any personal experience, but I'm looking forward to the flexibility of their hours compared to other lines. NCL will also accept non-potty trained kids.

We just returned from 14 days on Princess and were very pleased with their program. Some of the staff were among the best counselors I've ever seen. I would do another Princess if I liked the itinerary. I didn't like their schedule as they weren't open during all port times and they were closed the first and last night of the cruise.

As for HAL we sailed with them last summer and the kids program was the WORST excuse for a program I've ever seen. Our son is also 3 and has been on 13 cruises and has enjoyed ALL of the kids clubs with the exception of this one. They had the 3-7 year olds in one room (as did Princess), but HAL geared all the activities for the older kids. There were a few 3-5 year olds and if the activity was too hard for them, then they were made to 'sit on the line' and watch the older kids do the activity. No alternate activities were given. If my child was the only one who couldn't do it, I might have understood, but they usually had 5-6 kids sitting on the line. At 3 1/2 my son can't read or write which is not unusual for kids of this age. However, many activities needed reading and writing skills. One activity was 'Write a Letter to the Captain' and if the kids couldn't write no help was given and they were made to sit on the line. Oh, and don't even get me started on the attitude of the staff. I realize that we were only on a 7 day cruise and may have just been unlucky, but we won't cruise HAL again for a very long time, if ever.

Archived