Does anyone have a really good pocket video camera?

kiraryker

I have a Pentax Optio W90 that also shots HD video. The quality seems at least as good as most of the dedicated pocket sized digital video cameras that I have seen. Plus it is waterproof, shock/drop proof and takes excellant stills.

I also have the Flip UltraHD and love it! It's so easy to use and lots of fun too.

You can also capture photos from any video, so it's great to pick out a shot that looks perfect. I've even captured lightening streaking across the sky with the Flip.

An example of a frame of lightening. I love this feature!

VID00019.jpg

Do you ever run out of space when you are taking videos? I just worry we will be somewhere and I won't have any more memory on the flip?

Also does it have an easy program to down load your videos to burn to disks?

Thanks for the info!

Just came out - the new Kodak playsport - great little waterproof video camera (does stills as well) with some cool features. I suggest doing a search for some of the reviews. I am hunting down the 'sales' and ebay and hoping to have one for my upcoming February cruise!

Another vote for the Playsport here.... I got mine back in Oct for a trip to Vegas. It's great and even waterproof to 10 feet! You don't have to worry about running out of room because you use memory cards, so just make sure you have a couple of those...

I'll be snorkeling with mine in February! Can't wait!!

Heres something to think about we bought an Olympus camera (its not a video camera but you can use it in video mode)15 MP ,waterproof to I think 15 feet,freezeproof and shockproof 5 feet.The best camera we have ever had .Just a thought Mike

i ordered the Z16 but returned it because it can only be charged thru the computer so i got the kodak playsport and i love it. can't wait to use it on the cruise in dec. got it at sams for 119

Not true. Pop the battery out and put it in the optional charger.

I've been using the Zi8 for over a year now. It is a great HD video recorder. I also like the use of an external memory card vs the internal memory of the Flip.

The only problem I've found with the Zi8 is it's performance in low light. Hasn't really been a problem for me though because most of my videos are outside.

Also stability can be a problem. But that's on either models. You must hold it extemely steady and move SLOWLY. As you can see from my video examples, I don't do that well. :)

Here's a couple of examples from the Zi8. Couple of daytimers, one night.

Feeding the tarpon in Belize:

Riding the FlowRider:

Getting ready to ride "Dragons Breath" zipline, Labadee

These were all taken in the 720p, 60fps mode.

In general, most pocket camcorders do great outdoors but not so great indoors. I guess they were really built for outdoor activities. Small enough to fit in your pocket, but cheap enough to destroy or lose. You can do stuff with them that you wouldn't do with an expensive camera.

I have both the flip and the Kodak Zi8. Given a choice, I prefer the Kodak due tot eh option of adding a memory card. With the flip, if you fill it you are all done, unless you bring a computer with you to pull the videos out of the internal memory and free up space.

I have both the flip and the Kodak Zi8. Given a choice, I prefer the Kodak due tot eh option of adding a memory card. With the flip, if you fill it you are all done, unless you bring a computer with you to pull the videos out of the internal memory and free up space.

That is what I was afraid of - but which one do you think has the best video quality/sound?

Also do they both have a good program to burn your videos to disks?

Hmmmm a lot to think about and we cruise in January so I better decide

To add, as I said I have the Zi8 but my buddy has the FlipHD that I also used while on our last cruise. I thought they both took excellent videos.

My Zi8 has a 5 megapixel camera option also. So you can use it as a still pic camera. I don't think the Flip has this option. You have to pull any stills off actual video footage.

Flip people will know more about this.

I don't even use the software that came with my Zi8. I download the pics and videos to my computer and then use after market software to edit or make DVD's.

I definitely don't use the Zi8 software to upload my videos to Youtube even though it has options to upload to different social media sites. It's way too slow.

Hope this helps. I know it has been a great tool to create memories of my cruises and travel.

I purchased a Kodak Play Sport from Sam's club for $119.00. The Flip was much more expensive. The Kodak is waterproof to 10 feet. It takes an SD card and I got a 32 MB. It is rechargeable and the software is easy to download and use. This is a high-definition camera and it also takes stills. I would highly recommend it. You can also purchase an additional battery for about $22.

Im debating between the Flip Mino or the Kodak Zi6 - I would like just a pocket one that is easy to use and easy to down load so we can burn the videos onto disks.

Thanks

I love my Kodak zi8, but wish it was waterproof, so I would probably go with the Playsport

I love my Kodak zi8, but wish it was waterproof, so I would probably go with the Playsport

For $250 more bucks you can get the waterproof case for the Zi8.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=kodak+zi8+waterproof+case&hl=en&prmd=sv&resnum=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8527726805942753743&ei=ebv4TOuuEsXAngfn9PnuCA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEEQ8wIwAA#

Archived