Sea sick patches & Eclipse drinking packages?

JohnBoulder

I know this is a bit late to post as we leave this weekend on our first cruise. We've been blessed with the services of a great travel agent (thanks Randy) who has answered many of our questions, but the one question we failed to ask is about the transderm patches. We've got four each. The package says each one last three days, but there are no directions as to when to start. Should we start now and let the medication load into our systems? Any first hand advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we're sailing Aqua Class on the Eclipse. We haven't purchased a drink package yet. I don't drink alcohol, but my partner enjoys a beer (or three!) in the evenings. From what I understand Aqua gets bottled water and teas which is fine for me. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for that as well.

Thanks a lot in advance! John

Since the patches are prescription-only, you should have received instructions on when to apply them when you got the patches.

If you've misplaced that info, here's the website for Transderm Scōp, which I'm assuming is what you have :

http://www.transdermscop.com/transderm-scop-patient-information.htm

"For the prevention of motion sickness, plan to apply one Transderm Scōp patch at least 4 hours before you need it."

Thanks...we have the included instructions, but for some reason a neighbor told us he and his wife had to use theirs at least two days before not the 4 hours per the instructions. We were just looking for corroboration of that advice. The last thing either one of us wants is to be sick the whole time. Thanks again for the kind reply...

Be careful with those patches, I got one after surgery because I get nauseous from all sorts of meds, and I had the worst cotton mouth ever, no matter how much I would drink, I was still thirsty. After 2 days, I would rather be sick from the percocet than deal with those patches ever again.

I've successfully used the patch for 14 cruises now.

Put it on in the morning before you go over to the ship. Be very careful to wash your hands well after touching the patch. Do not cut the patch! My doctor and eye doctor both told me that even a miniscule amount of the medication can cause blurred vision if it is transferred from your hand to your eye.

I have found that leaving the patch on AFTER the cruise really lessens the wobbly sea legs feeling after I hit land. I leave my last patch on for at least a day after I get home.

The patch doesn't increase the effectiveness of liquor for me - but it does make my eyes and mouth a bit dry and I have no trouble sleeping at night.

Thanks...we have the included instructions, but for some reason a neighbor told us he and his wife had to use theirs at least two days before not the 4 hours per the instructions. We were just looking for corroboration of that advice. The last thing either one of us wants is to be sick the whole time. Thanks again for the kind reply...

As with all medications, different people will have different reactions to it. Some people will have side effects, some won’t. Such is life in all medications.

The reason some people like to apply it early is so they know ahead of time what side effects (if any) they may have and if the side effects are severe, they can still do something about it before leaving for the cruise. Such that they still have access to their doctors nearby versus being thousands of miles away in middle of ocean.

Even if you have no side effects, the severity of the dosage of the patch might impact your sensory initially, so people want to be more acclimated to the effects before they sail (don’t want to start the first day of vacation with a big migraine or whatever issues).

That being said, be sure you are not operating heavy machinery or driving when you have the patch while still on land. While you are on the ship, being drowsy would be no big deal if that’s one of the side effects you are experiencing. But if you are driving the two days before sailing while on land, you don’t want to fall asleep on the wheels.

Have fun on your first cruise.

Archived